• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for a Melee Ganondorf?

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
Hey Guys, I used to Main Ganondorf in Melee, but I didn't main him in Brawl due to how bad the character was. (I also didn't play Brawl seriously at all, either.)

I was just wondering if I can still play him like I did in Melee (Minus the Wavelanding and L-canceling stuff, of course),
essentially, from how I played Ganondorf in Melee, I pretty much hit people until they died. I'd whack them until they got to a killing percent and then I'd smack them with a kill move. Can I employ the same strategy in this game? Also, from Melee to Smash 4, what has been changed? I've looked for some sort of list, but I'm only getting from Brawl to 4, which doesn't help me.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Well, he's a lot more defensive than mêlée.

That's really all that I can say without wasting loads of time retyping every second word on my crappy tablet.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
for the young ganons at heart: soon you'll be older.

Basically, what changed is: Instead of advancing, you wait and punish more.
Also, Flame Choke.

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
Yeah, I've played Some of PM ( so I'm familiar with the choke) and I've looked into options from the flame choke in this game. I've played a bit online and I noticed my more aggro strategies were not working so well on people in this game. I'm assuming the lack of L-canceling is the reason, but I digress.

being patient has never been my strong suit, but I guess there's always time to start.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
from how I played Ganondorf in Melee, I pretty much hit people until they died. I'd whack them until they got to a killing percent and then I'd smack them with a kill move. Can I employ the same strategy in this game?
Kinda. In Brawl, keeping moves fresh for kills was very important in many MUs.
But in smash4, Stale Moves doesn't really impact the game that much, except for some kill-throws and some other exceptions.

In Brawl, I wanted to keep Ftilt fresh, or at least nearly fresh, Vs Ike, but in smash4 that doesn't really seem necessary.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
You want to not overuse Dair or Fair, mainly because they're still relatively unsafe, unless you Autocancel it. Dthrow is still a great throw and can follow up with one of the safest moves, up air.

And you have more reasons to use up tilt. It breaks shields. :)

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
You want to not overuse Dair or Fair, mainly because they're still relatively unsafe, unless you Autocancel it. Dthrow is still a great throw and can follow up with one of the safest moves, up air.

And you have more reasons to use up tilt. It breaks shields. :)
Yeah, I've actually broke someone's shield with Up-tilt. (It was an accident since I meant to push F-Tilt, but whatever) I then Warlock Punched him in the FACE it was bitchin'.

You can Auto Cancel F-Air and D-Air?

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Yeah, I've actually broke someone's shield with Up-tilt. (It was an accident since I meant to push F-Tilt, but whatever) I then Warlock Punched him in the FACE it was *****in'.

You can Auto Cancel F-Air and D-Air?
Full hop Dair will autocancel (Thunderstorming in Brawl technique is defunct)
Fair can be canceled by a jump or a B move.

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
Full hop Dair will autocancel (Thunderstorming in Brawl technique is defunct)
Fair can be canceled by a jump or a B move.
So I can short-hop into F-Air and then Instantly jump out of it or Wizard's Foot/Choke to cancel the lag?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
So I can short-hop into F-Air and then Instantly jump out of it or Wizard's Foot/Choke to cancel the lag?
I would like to state that I am mistaken. It works off the stage because there is still inherent lag in the move before you could act out of the fair. But if you fair off the stage, you could jump, or do any b move you want. Not sure if you could do that in the 1.04 patch though, since I'm looking at 1.03.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Frankly, Ganondorf still plays much the same as he did in Brawl. He merely has much less punishable tilts, a less reliable flamechoke game, and the new ledge mechanics to think about.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Frankly, Ganondorf still plays much the same as he did in Brawl. He merely has much less punishable tilts, a less reliable flamechoke game, and the new ledge mechanics to think about.
Quite frankly, you're both right and wrong. Fundamentals are the same, but he lost several mobility options, but gained power through the physics being more favorable to him.

Top Bottom