• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for a G&W Main

Mk28

Smash Rookie
I really need help with G&W because I am ok so far with him and I can beat everyone in my local community, but when it comes to tournaments I don't do very well. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some friendly advice in order to get better.
Like are there moves that I should use to bait the enemy or if there are any moves that I should avoid? That kind of stuff. It would help alot by leaving some advice, thanks.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Hmm. Here's some obvious ones.

Stop using dair (the key) too much, as the landing lag on that thing is punishable. Maybe use it as a mixup, a quick punish when someone's on the ground and you're in the air, when you need to reach the ground before someone else, or maybe if you know your dair outdoes your opponent's uair. Sometimes you could spike with dair in the early animation, but make sure to save your second jump + up B (Fire) to get back to the stage since you have to commit to the whole fall when using dair. Otherwise, I think it shouldn't be your primary tool.

Other advice is to use usmash more than you have been, but not to the point of spamming. It's a superb anti-air move. When you throw out an uncharged usmash (diver's helmet), you're only vulnerable to getting hit for 5~ frames, but are invincible from hits for the remaining 23~ frames.

For example, if timed right, start to charge your usmash, let ZSS dash attack right into you, notice that she didn't hit you because of the invincibility you have, and release and hit ZSS with your usmash. It's awesome.

Don't forget to refresh your stale moves with uair, as I believe it still works.

Last advice. Bucket energy projectiles to negate energy ones, use dtilt (manhole) and time it right against CERTAIN physical ones (ex. Pac-Man's fruits and Wii Fit Trainer's soccer balls) to negate those as well. Dtilt has a strange windbox great for screwing other's timing/expectations. And, if they bother to recover high or miss the ledge, hit 'em with the windbox of dtilt. Chances are the opponent has used their up b and is now in helpless state. Since you just windboxed them up, you get a free punish.

That's all I have to offer. Maybe I'll have more. Be sure to explore these boards/others will come here with more advice.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I really need help with G&W because I am ok so far with him and I can beat everyone in my local community, but when it comes to tournaments I don't do very well. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some friendly advice in order to get better.
Like are there moves that I should use to bait the enemy or if there are any moves that I should avoid? That kind of stuff. It would help alot by leaving some advice, thanks.
The above poster gave some really good advice and I guess I'll add to it as well and give my own take on game and watch. Honestly I play mr. game and watch defensively in this game rather then offensive in brawl since he isn't nearly as good as he used to be. Try to punish your opponents and try not to play him as an air fighter in this game. Now I'm not saying to never use his aerials but his aerials have insane amount of ending lag and his ground game isn't too bad.

His dash attack and jab is actually very good! His Usmash is also excellent if used properly. Chef (His neutral special) is actually good for edge guarding and for follow ups believe it or not. Also if there is anything mr. game and watch is good for its for edge guarding. Now I think that's all that I got for now. I hope this helps you! If I have anything else to add I'll post more info.

Neb

Smash Lord
Great information thus far. Some things to keep in mind...

Turtle is no longer a reputable tool on shields and will require great commitment when used as a poke. Though you may find it is still a lengthy, multiple hit disjoint with perfect KB for G&W's air and edge traps. Use it in situations where the opponent will not have a tool to challenge it's range or lingering hits, off the map for a stage spike, retreating, Oos, or as an anti-air. Often times a blocked smash (most commonly usmash) will shrink the shield enough for turtle to poke.

Generally, G&W should be on the ground when offensive, but jump around to avoid and scramble his enemies zone by use of his aerodynamics (jump, double jump, and upb + parachute). Remember, few can move like this in the game. Upb from the ground saves your second jump. So as you land (which is determined by how long you parachute, but also if you cancel or ff an attack out of it), you can bait something from your opponent -- use your second jump to force a whiff -- then reply with a punish. It's a pretty solid maneuver, because when you mix it up, the opponent can never know whether or not you will decide to use your saved jump or even what direction you will go!

Airborne, always keep an eye out for bad spacing and opportunities to lay down your aerials.

Last edited:

Mk28

Smash Rookie
Hmm. Here's some obvious ones.

Other advice is to use usmash more than you have been, but not to the point of spamming. It's a superb anti-air move. When you throw out an uncharged usmash (diver's helmet), you're only vulnerable to getting hit for 5~ frames, but are invincible from hits for the remaining 23~ frames.
How would you use it? Because I've only used it as a combo finisher due to its small hitbox.

Mk28

Smash Rookie
Great information thus far. Some things to keep in mind...

Turtle is no longer a reputable tool on shields and will require great commitment when used as a poke. Though you may find it is still a lengthy, multiple hit disjoint with perfect KB for G&W's air and edge traps. Use it in situations where the opponent will not have a tool to challenge it's range or lingering hits, off the map for a stage spike, retreating, Oos, or as an anti-air. Often times a blocked smash (most commonly usmash) will shrink the shield enough for turtle to poke.
Everything you said was really helpful, but what do you mean by "Turtle"?

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
The first reply has said pretty much everything that you shouldn't be taught.

Firstly... dair is not a reliable edgeguard move. Do not try doing this unless you are willing to go for some extremely hard and precise reads, and also do not mind the possibility that you will not get back onto the stage against good opponents.

Secondly... usmash is great, but it is more situational than is being suggested here. It is a move designed to punish people, not to be the bedrock of a competent strategy. If you want to get a feel for this move quickly, you'll need to play against good Mario and Peach players. (Don't fight Jiggs because that's too easy.) Why? Because frankly, those two are some of the few fighters in the game who will actually bother to close distance with you. In most matches, because of the nature of G&W, you are going to have to do this yourself, and you can't expect to approach Duck Hunt throwing out usmash. Fundamentals like spacing and approaching with shield on the ground are what will win matches for you, not smashing.

Thirdly (THIS IS IMPORTANT)... do NOT use dtilt! This move is extremely punishable because of its high endlag, and you are better off doing something else most of the time. It is only acceptable as an unexpected mixup in situations where you must quickly punish someone out of ftilt range without risking any movement. These situations are far and few between for a character that needs to be aggressive, and recognizing them is not something you should be doing in your formative stages of G&W play.

So what's important for you to learn at this stage, then? In order of importance:

1. Fair
2. Dash attack
3. Ftilt
4. Grab
5. Nair
6. Bair

The first three are your bread and butter moves. They may look easy to block, and they are... but they are actually the same tools of a competent approach. Your first order of business is to learn why.

Grab is the next important thing to learn. It is hard to do, but you have one of the most rewarding dthrows in the game if you can manage it. This is because you can almost always follow it up with a well aimed nair. However, you also have to learn the percentage ranges at which you can do this to certain characters, what your other guaranteed options are, and the feasibility of going for an untraditional followup.

The last two are the cornerstone of your aerial punish game (dair is in there too, but you need a strong understanding of opponent psychology, don't bother with it at first). Nair is for punishing aerialized opponents (most of your moveset is, but do this first so your opponent airdodges predictively) and bair is used to get easy (mind this word!) ground punishes. They have other uses, but focus on these at first.

Last edited:

FrameImperfect

Smash Cadet
NNID
3x3=?
3DS FC
0044-2904-0617
Sourspot Dsmash is a good semi-spike just like Samus' Dsmash, not to mention you can cover alot of ground with it, even more than Duck Hunt's or Palutena's Dsmashes.

And dont forget you can crouch under alot of moves, and punish with a grab into a mixup.

Last edited:

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
The first reply has said pretty much everything that you shouldn't be taught.

Thirdly (THIS IS IMPORTANT)... do NOT use dtilt! This move is extremely punishable because of its high endlag, and you are better off doing something else most of the time. It is only acceptable as an unexpected mixup in situations where you must quickly punish someone out of ftilt range without risking any movement. These situations are far and few between for a character that needs to be aggressive, and recognizing them is not something you should be doing in your formative stages of G&W play.
Dtilt is actually more like a ground version of Uair. It can negate a Nair, and you can shield after wards to block the hit, then shield grab. It's a pretty nice mixup and it's not that bad to use, it can also be a nice poke if hit from the tip of the move.

Top Bottom