• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for a Falco Main

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I'm fairly new to the competitive scene - I've been to two tourneys at Hitbox Arena in Kinnelon, NJ and didn't perform too well - but I'm looking for advice and tips on what to do with Falco. Lately, my performance with him has been lackluster.

This video was my starting point and I've got most of it down, the only things I can't do is fire two lasers after a ledgejump and my waveshining needs improvement.

What further caught my attention is that my friend's Sheik rocked me pretty bad (he just switched to maining her from Marth). I felt like Falco is just easy for Sheik to combo, he'd forward throw and get off two F-smashes and when I'm off the stage, intercept with a f-air since Falco's recovery is pretty bad.

He's also fond of ledgestalling with Sheik, baiting you to come in for a free f-air.

Are there any techniques that I can use for a MU like this? Or is it pretty much "Practice makes perfect?" My wavedashes are still pretty clunky with Falco as well (especially out of shield or shine), so maybe I do have a starting point.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Ledge lasers are unsafe in most situations anyway. Focus on more important tech first.

Sheik has great combos and you are food for them since you are the 2nd fastest falling character in P:M. To avoid this problem...

• Learn DI and to tech: Two F-smashes from Sheik isn't a true combo on any character. If you SDI and Tech when you hit the ground your friend can't get away with that dumb stuff.
  • Punish unsafe approaches from your opponent: Shine out of shield is very important. If your friend does something like spam dash attacks, definately use Shine OoS to turn the tables and start a combo.
Be aware that most Sheiks will likely opt for D-throw due to the combos that come out of it. Also, realize that proper DI can save your life when recovering, and don't waste your jump when recovering. If you are coming at the ledge from a downward angle, you grab the ledge instead of riding the wall like you would if you were below it. This gives you one more option when recovering and can save your life.

Jhene

Smash Rookie
It seems you focus a lot of tech skill and less mind games and such. You're being a bit predictable if sheik can f-throw you and then fair you twice for a quick stock. I would look up tutorials on DI-ing and Teching because without those, Falco (or any other character you play) will die fairly quickly.
When sheik is ledge stalling. I would take center stage (where Falco works best) and spam SHFFLs because there's no point on trying to attacking an invincible target.
Another thing you can do is trick him with an approach by going near the ledge with an empty short hop fast fall. If he attempts to jump in for a fair, you can quickly shield and either shield-grab or nair oos (out of shield)
Sheik generally does not have the best combos on spacies, but he makes quick work off stage. You want to take center stage because you are less likely to die and since Falco's recovery is terrible, that's where you want to be.
Another tip is when Sheik is recovering, I would attempt to take the ledge so that forces Sheik to recover on stage and there's a lot of landing lag which is easy for you to punish.
Another thing about Falco is you should learn SHFFL approaches and empty short hop approaches. Since both of them allows you to do a move automatically without any lag before, you can really mix up your opponent. If they shield, you can grab or you can create intense shield pressure, forcing a roll.
Last thing is practice your Falco pillars and shine combos. Waveshines and SHFFLs are basically his bread and butter.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
Since some of your problems have been addressed ^ I'll point out that Sheik doesn't really have a good approach so you should try and bait her more by lasering and weaving in and out of her range with reversed lasers.
If he starts reacting with needles just work around platforms and wait him out.
This kind of play is lame but it pays off to be good at it in certain situations- I don't recommend being like this constantly, just sometimes in neutral and to mix up your style. Also if he shino-stalls like Jhene mentioned just stay centre-stage and wait him out, he'll lose patience.

Top Bottom