• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice/Criticism Thread for a Developing Ganon Main

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
I'd start by memorizing choke followups, as not all characters can be D-tilted out of it; if I recall correctly, there is a list in the guide section for all of them. In terms of gameplay, work a bit on your spacing. At times you seem overly aggressive, where you shouldn't be. While Ganon is a high risk, high reward type of character, there is something to be said for playing defensively. That means trying to bait an opponent into an action. In neutral, try staying grounded. Ganon's DA is safe on shield if you space it so that it crosses over. Also, work a bit on shielding projectiles rather than trying to jump over them, as that puts you in a disadvantageous position. In essence, your biggest flaw is your neutral in my opinion.

You could join the Ganondorf discord if you're looking for more advice (at smashcord.com). I'd try to help more, but I'm currently out in the middle of nowhere right now...

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I only had a chance to watch the one against the Corrin, and I chose it specifically because losses are more telling for areas of improvement.

The greatest skill you can have as Ganon is the ability to force your opponent to move. What I mean by that is using Ganon's movement and spacing tools to approach and force your opponent to react. What I saw in your vid was very good spacing, but as is the case with most newcomers to Ganon, you have a tendency to pair every moment with an attack -- in other words, you go ham at every possible opportunity.

Mastering Ganon's just a lot of figuring out how people behave against him. Slowly you get a feel for how people generally react, and you learn ways to punish those reactions. But above all else, if you take anything from what I'm saying here, let it be to be more conservative with your attacks. Being deliberate is important for us, 'cause if we throw out attacks against people who know better than to walk into them, we'll just keep getting bopped.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Some things that might help.

1. Use roll less as a movement option and more as a dodge in limited situations. Don't eliminate it altogether, but avoid using it to move around as it takes a set amount if time, puts you in a predictable spot, and both starts and ends with vulnerable frames. This will make you much more ready to punish and tech-chase, and will help you flow a little better.

2. Get a better feel for Ganon's flow. At times you would land a move and do something immediately afterward that didn't really make sense. Learn which moves send opponents where and use this to either press your advantage or get in position for a read/punish or adequately reset.

3. Optimize your punishes. Learn what types of moves for each character are predictable and punishable, and to what degree. Specifically in the first match your opponent gave you free punishes through ridiculous falcon punches but not much was gained for it (2 even hit, which really shouldn't happen). Depending on how they do it, that's a free dair, fair, or even smash attack.

4. Conserve your double jump when offstage. Even though it turned out ok, there were a few times where you early double jumped when returning to the stage, meaning a simple edge guard could have done you in. Again, not a problem here but can cause early losses if your opponent knows how to go offstage.

Anyway, those are just some things you should consider. I noticed you are pretty strong in spacing and edge-guarding so definitely keep it up in those aspects as well. Good luck and happy murdering.

Top Bottom