• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice against Puff?

totesmagotes

Smash Cadet
I've been playing some Melee netplay, and whenever I go up against someone who plays Jiggly puff, I find the matchup to be incredibly frustrating. Does anyone have any advice about what to do against Puff?

Last edited:

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Play Fox lel

For real though the matchup is real hard. You have to be incredibly patient. We have 2 moves at our disposal that outrange Puff's bair: turnip and fsmash. Abuse that fact.

Basically, you have to stay grounded. If the puff actually knows what to do, all they will do is space bairs. So, you've gotta wavedash around and fsmash a lot. Pull a turnip whenever you can because you can do like turnip into fair with can kill. The hardest part of this matchup imo is killing the buff. Obviously there is stichface. Sweet-spotted golf club as well, and depending on the stage, possibly tennis racket. Turnip -> fair will kill at a decent % like around 130 or maybe later depending on the stage. Nair might also kill too, not sure what % tho, again killing puff is all VERY stage dependent. Like if you take a puff to dreamland first off if the puff player doesn't start laughing his ass off he is mean lol and second off accept that you're not gonna kill the puff before like 200. Don't take puff to dreamland lol. Anyway bair might also kill, also FC bair is a good OOS option if puff is pressuring from behind. FC or DJC nair OOS would be good if puff is above or pressuring from front.

Also try out dsmash and see if it works on the puff. If it does, use it a lot, if not don't use it. Sometimes it ****s over puff if the puff doesn't know what to do about it but if the puff does then you're gonna rested and that is a bad time.

Anyway I hope this helps. I would honestly recommend picking up Fox for this matchup if you do eventually want to get to the highest level of play. It's just too bad.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Never dash attack ever you will get rested and it will hurt.
Only if she is crouching. It is actually a pretty good anti-air move because of the weird hitbox. Do it while puff is on the ground and yep you'll get rested and you'll be sad

totesmagotes

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I was thinking of picking up fox as an alt because of this. I've already been alting Falco for a long time, so maybe it won't be too bad of a transition? I don't know. Still, I need to know this matchup anyway. Someone might counter-pick me in game 2, or maybe pick jiggs in a blind pick. I've also thought about going the Armada route and taking young link, but that'd be a higher learning curve.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Just pick up fox if you're not going to go Peach. All you have to do as fox is space laserz/bairs/nairs until they get to 70 or so then either upthrow -> upair them or upsmash them it's pretty easy imo

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Crouch cancelling goes to certain percents and Puff CC is not that great. Mentioning CC Rest and not Rest OoS is not very smart.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
K sorry I didn't please you I'll try better next time
It's not about pleasing me, it's about being entitled enough to think you can give advice and not mentioning important stuff because you never participated in a medium level match lel.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
It's not about pleasing me, it's about being entitled enough to think you can give advice and not mentioning important stuff because you never participated in a medium level match lel.
this coming from the guy who once said 'i have stitch face as my profile picture, trust me' as evidence that he knew peach tech, only to be disproved by armada and macd a few posts later

Last edited:

MattCon5

Smash Rookie
I played against a few Jiggs players yesterday at a weekly and I was having quite a bit of success killing them with uair once I got them off stage. If you can read their recovery, just float and get right under them and a uair will kill pretty easily. But yeah, other than that, I really struggled in neutral if I didn't have a turnip :/

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
this coming from the guy who once said 'i have stitch face as my profile picture, trust me' as evidence that he knew peach tech, only to be disproved by armada and macd a few posts later

It was from Gravy (Dustin White) + a framdatafanatic that I don't know who it is explaining this weird interaction of Peach not being able to float while falling from a platform. Armada and MacD didn't even appear in the thread as far as I remember.

Not only me but other players doubted the guy that wasn't being able to execute the said "tech". He kept "failing" and I said "dude, im not kage, i am a peach main with a stitch as a picture, trust me lel". There is a lot of people starting to play right now, I believe more in sheer incompetence of using the control stick than it being a specific thing.

It was a really good bait and I deserved it LOL

With all that said, this is the guy giving advice all around over the boards (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QmLZLUTky0)

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Puff is one of my best matchups, try to time your dash attacks between the back airs, throw turnips as much as possible you should get at least 1 stitch per set and got for nairs when you want the kill

Top Bottom