• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Royology - v2!

j3ly

Smash Champion
Note before i begin:
I am far from the best Roy. Not even close, not even skimming the barrel, and some may question my authority on writing a guide - i know i wish more people wrote guides on Mario, even short ones, because its good to gather as much information as you can. Even if 90% of the things i'm about to write have already been covered, that 90% will be phrased in a different way, and the 10% will be new information.
Enjoy.

I tried. I tried my flippin hardest to revive the Mario boards and nobody is discussing jack - so i'm welcoming myself back to the Roy boards, as my 2nd char.
Now that i'm infinity better at smash then the first version of this guide, I've come to realise something - Roy is one technical mofo. He has the benefit of moves consisting of 2 hitboxes (tipper and middle), which i came to realise yesterday can be exploited as additional attacks, and help combing greatly. I will be posting my findings as I find them, as i said Roy is my new 2nd, and i really hope that i help some smashers clear pools ^^

Insert index here soonish

||| Importance of shffling |||
Defence:- Now, Roy, when not l-cancelled (i'm talking aerials only here) is a very punishable character. The majority of his aerials have a good startup time, but nearly all of them are laggy as hell afterwards. if you miss, the chances are your going to be punished regardless, but to reduce that risk, and i can't stress this enough - always short hop, fast fall, l-cancel.

Offence:- Dont need to go into much detail here - shffl'd moves have 1/2 the lag time, so you recover from the attack twice as fast. It doesn't take a genius to realise that faster recovery means another attack can follow quicker.

||| Roy's hidden attacks!! |||
I'm no doubt the 50,000th person to realise this, but by changing the order of Roys fast-fall and l-cancelled attack, you can get a different result. I'll go through the moves separatly.
** This applies to a perfected shffl action - try his Fair(2(see down)), and if you can follow with an immediate ftilt or neutral a, you have it down.**

ChivalRuse very kindly made a video demonstrating this! I had no idea, until i was looking through my old post to copy and paste, so here it and and TY ChivalRuse!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkABU8JYSk4&feature=channel_page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fair(1) - Perform the aerial immediatly after jumping, then fast-fall.
- This means that you will hit the opponent quicker, but wont be able to perform a follow-up attack as soon as his Fair(2) would be able to. I've been using this to start combos, as the startup time is quicker.

*The red curvature of the blade wont touch the floor, it will arch infront of and below Roy.

Fair(2) - Jump, fast-fall and immediatly follow up with the aerial. I use the c-stick because i personally think its more efficient, however as i said i'm far from a pro.
- I use this after an opponent is stunned, if im planning to throw in a ftilt or watever. Also imo its harder for the opponent to predict as the timing is kinda strange.

* the red curvature of Roys blade will arch down onto the floor - the hitbox is altered.*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uair(1) - Perform the aerial immediatly after jumping, then fast-fall.
- Roy will perform the whole of his uair - it will even hit infront of and behind him on a short-hop, but will most likely be a tipper hit - then land again.
- I dont like it, too slow too obvious unless used for juggling.

*The red curatur ofRoy blade will swing above him in a completed aerial.*

Uair(2) - Jump, fast-fall and immediatly follow up with the aerial. I use the c-stick for speed.
- This is interesting and i wish i had a video. If you can get it efficient, Roy will only perform the first 5 or so frames of his uair, then return to position. It can be used as a opening attack, and leads perfectly to a sweet-spotted dsmash is the hit is tippered, and l-cancled. If Roys body overlaps the opponent, the hit will be a centre one with more damage and knockback, but not lead to a dsmash. However, if the hit is true, it combos into a tipper hit sometimes, then back to the dsmash.
- Funnily enough, if you tipper the uair(2), you can get in a very difficult (very), but confusing and hard to DI juggle. Try this out, plus the move leads into alot of his other moves nicely.

*The red curcvature of Roys blade appears then disappears at just below his head height. Very quick, discounting the jumping time*

||| Getting in that Usmash |||
This move is... amazing. It does heavy damage, has pretty decent knockback, and after the combo i am about to describe, can be combo'd into itself again on heavy chars around 50-70%.

Its simple to hit, but without the first hit you have no chance i'm afraid.
- Get opp into the air - dtilt is beautiful, but *DONT* let this tech replace dtilt -> fair -> fsmash
- Perform the delayed upair and *Tipper* lighter chars, *Middle-sword* heavier ones.
- Usmash lol.
- Its important that the upair is delayed, otherwise the opp will come outta hitstun before you've even landed probably.
- Tipper hit can only be SDI'd / ASDI'd, regular DI will make no diff.
- Middle-sword hit i believe could be Di'd out of, but your opp would need to be insane and see it comming - ASDI+SDI away from roy, and reg DI away too. Its possible - but if the uair is delayed it should be a very fast move.

Another, tricker and far more situational way of getting it in - i actually only thought of this last night, but my opp was too good for me to get it in without me knowing the tech well.

- You could start this with dtilt, but tbh DONT - u have far better options which are better and easier from a dtilt. I guess you could if they were just too high to do anything else.
- Ok so you want to start this with a delayed Uair Middle-sword hit, at the percentage your opp will be just above your head afterwards. So lets say about 80-90% heavy chars, 50-60% lighter ones.
- Now your opp is above you, there are 2 options - you can delay utilt -> Usmash, Or..
- Delayed tipper fair, Delayed Tipper/MS (depending on opp's weight + %) Uair, Usmash.

|||Back air is amazing|||
Well.. back air is amazing! ill keep this breif..
- Delayed back air (is hard and timing is a bit wierd - sword may show w/no hitboxes) is awesome. On low percents MS the delayed hit into a smash - much like peach bair->dsmash.
- On higher percents, tipper hit the delayed bair for an opening into dash attack, im sure i've hit Fsmash afterwards too. Perhaps delayed bair tipper, to non-delayed MS hit, tho there may not be enough hitstun

|||Fair wall|||
Yeah thats right.. Roy can make a wall too!
- This is useful, the larger your opponent the more useful too.
- Open with a full-hopped Fair. The quicker you execute the better, your looking to hit the opp on the way up, and way down.
-So you have jumped forwards, using the control stick to Fair (that is if you are keeping forwards momentum). If you missed the first fair, hold back on the control stick and use C-stick to fair again. If you hit with the first, use the control stick again to push forwards.
- After the first fair, you can also bair - perhaps jump over your opp deliberately missing Fair, then bair them unexpectedly.
- Do NOT fast fall at the peak of your jump
- I cant remember if there is enough time, but if there is, DO fast fall the second fair, it will have the same effect as a delayed fair.
- You can interchange 2nd Fair to Uair.
- Reverse jump and fair, to make a backwards moving wall.
- Muck about with different orders, jumps, and momentum changes. It may sound pedantic but c-sticking a backwards jump too keep the momentum makes the same thing a whole new manoveur for a whole different situation.

|||1-hit nair|||
Almost done for today, not a whole lot to comment on this.
- Effectively just a delayed nair, only the first hit will come out.
- The hitstun is terrible, if you are being obvious your opp WILL counter, so only really use it as a suprise hit when there is no time for anything else (if sum1 could get me the frame data..), typically i only use this on the way down, just after comming outta hitstun.
- Follow up with a dtilt

Done for today! :D
Will be playing some Roy tonight maybe if Mario isnt seeming alluring, and ill update any findings 2mo.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
OMG how did i not see this earlier!

good stuff man ^^ we need to try our best for the roy boards. il try and do something for the mario boards if i get a chance ^_^

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Well I don't play Mario so I can't help you with that one, but nice tips for Roy. The notes on the different aerials are a little confusing; the attacks aren't actually different, you just hit with different hitboxes; but is something that should be pointed out nevertheless, especially to newer Roys.

The only major suggestion I'd say is put in a section about grabbing. I don't know if you've realized this yet but Roy's grabs are **** **** and ****. On spacies, up throw chaingrab can 0-death sometimes and is always gonna hurt bad, and isn't too hard to do. On anyone else (well, spacies too) mixing up d-throw and f-throw for tech chasing is awesome. If you get them to always DI behind you and upwards (with d-throws) then f-throw will set them up right into sweetspot f-smash range sometimes :D otherwise, tech chase gooooooo. Tech chasing with Roy is so good, all you need to do is guess right once at 60%+ and you get a kill.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
di roys/marths throws *down*, and mixing f and d throw wont do much.

i dont play mario either, but i feel we are a community and smashers gotta stick together. reguardless.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Most floaties can get away from his D-throw real easy if they DI it up and away. All you can do is poke them with a tipped F-air sometimes, usually no matter what they get out. If they DI it down that just sets up more tech chasing, which is a good thing :D

Top Bottom