• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Pit/Dark Pit Plays

BrightTempest

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrightTempest
3DS FC
0404-9255-2974
Advanced Pit/Dark Pit Plays:4pit::4darkpit:
-"What is this thread?"

An excellent question my good fellow. The purpose of this thread is to further develop Pit/Dark Pit in the current meta game.

-"Is Pit or Dark Pit really that good? I mean he doesn't seem to get many good placings in tournaments on a national level?"
To that I would I would say absolutely! The reason that I think Pit doesn't get a ton of representation is because usually it's easier to pick up another character like Sheik or ZSS. If you want to know for yourself how good Pit is continue venturing into this thread. Also I recommend looking up Earth from Japan as he is the most successful Pit main out there at the moment, his biggest accomplishments include defeating Ranai and Rain in tournaments, he is not necessarily better than them, but he isn't far from it. Most recently he placed well at genesis.

-"How will this thread work?"
Well aren't you full of good questions. Simple, you find a kill set up, an optimal way to punish things, advice for a match up or other advanced tips for in the neutral and gaining stage control and you post your findings here.

-"Do I really have to go through the whole thread just to find every little detail?"

Worry not my inquisitive acquaintance. All of the major discoveries will be added below. Any more questions?

-"Is Pit a vulture?"
Now, now. I think we can all agree Pit is not a vulture. Though I have seen him eat some questionable things off of the ground.
"Hey, floor ice cream gives you health!">:4pit:

Stuff that we find to be kind of a big deal

1: Offstage
Pit/ Dark Pit can fly. Use that. Many players will just stay on stage while someone is recovering and just fire arrows. While that's all well and good you have an absurdly potent recovery. It is very easy to go off stage and gimp your opponent. However mix up how you do it. Pit has numerous options off stage. You can simply throw an attack to gimp your opponent there are some options I find to be more rewarding. If your opponent has a good recovery and they are not going to die to your fair something I find to work well is to get in between them and the ledge and stay out of their range. By doing this all you have to do is wait for them to use their up special or jump to get to ledge. when they do this you act as a wall between them and the ledge. While it may be tempting to always go for dair for the chance of getting the spike unless you hit the sweetspot(directly below Pit) it sends at a high angle where most characters can recover from anyway. Sometimes it is better to opt for bair or fair, which both send at lower angle which is more potent off stage.
1.5: Being aggressive off stage can condition your opponent into air dodging. This sets you up to take stocks. You can hover over your opponent with your multiple jumps and get a spike(or if you're looking for hype Dark Pit can use side b to kill of the side very early. Just know you'll most likely die if you miss.). Also footstools prove to be entirely too effective in my experience, this has led me to usually jump them dair.

2: Down throw
Low percents- Most people choose to go for up smash, this is understandable as it does 20%. However d throw turn around SH bair does 18% and your opponent is in the perfect position to be followed up on. Up smash is easier and more reliable, but a mix up can be more rewarding. SH bair is just a recomendation, but most short hop aerials have good follow ups.
Mid percents- following up down throw with fair or up air seem to be the best option most of the time, however if your opponent has an air dodge habit charging up smash is powerful.
High percents- These percents vary on characters. High for kirby might be 60% while it could be 100% for Dedede. What I do and Earth do is Up throw(11% most damaging throw) and fire an arrow straight up and aim it to follow the victim's DI. This also leaves F throw fresh which is vital as it is one of Pit's best kill options.

More coming soon...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm intrigued by this so far.

BrightTempest

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrightTempest
3DS FC
0404-9255-2974
I'm intrigued by this so far.
Glad to here it!

Also for anyone who is interested, I'm not going to be able to be super active on this. So if anyone wants to create a new thread so that they can manage it I would be more than willing to give my insight on it and support it. I just don't have a lot of time recently, especially since I'm going to be having mid terms soon.

Reverbo

Smash Rookie
this seems pretty good, and I agree with a lot of it. Keep it coming!

Last edited:

BrightTempest

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrightTempest
3DS FC
0404-9255-2974
Here are some old notes I have for Pit, some of it is repeating the first post.

Dark Pit's f tilt does the same damage, but less knock back. However his jab locks.

Dark Pit's Side b can be used to challenge PK thunder or other recoveries off stage and get the kill. Pit's usually won't kill them.

Pit's side b is guaranteed to kill after a certain point because it kills of the top. Dark Pit's is reliant on where on stage you are.
Pit's arrows do less damage and have more lag on them(5 frames) than Dark Pit's but he can control them giving him a much more valuable tool in the neutral.

Other tid bits:
short hop dair auto cancels if you use it immediately and don't fast fall. You can also jump out of it before you hit the ground.
After you get your opponent to a percent where d throw stops comboing use up throw(11%) because it does the most percent of any of their throws and fire an arrow at them. You don't want to use f throw because that will stale it. If Pit's is stale it becomes difficult to kill with.
Dair out of shield can cover rolls very easily.
Foxtrot below opponents constantly shielding to try to condition them into not using an aerial when they are trying to land. If they use an aerial anyway shield and punish, however many people will air dodge to the ground which is a free smash or anything you want. This really scares people sometimes and makes them usually do something unsafe.
Mix up your recovery or you will be spiked. This goes for every character. Try different angles with your up b every time. Sometimes use side b. Sometimes just use your jumps.
ALWAYS GO OFF STAGE FOR GIMPS: YOU CAN FLY, THEY CAN'T. I recommend to just stay near them in the air which is easy with multiple jumps, this causes most people to air dodge so just punish that. This gives you a fantastic comeback factor.
Ledge trump. A lot. It can lead into a back air. This goes for almost all characters. It baits your opponent to hastily buffer an option to get on stage like roll so read and punish.
Down smash in neutral. It has little lag making it is a great bait mate. I prefer to have my back facing them when I do this because the back hit hits second so the opponent has to wait for that one to end before they try to punish you which gives you less time where you are vulnerable. Think this is silly and risky? You haven't TRIED to punish it before.
Just be patient and try not to be that aggressive. Pit has every tool at his disposal to counter almost any option an opponent chooses. Practice foxtrotting in the middle of a match, it constantly changes your spacing and zone which makes it a frequent occurrence for your opponent to miss space something. By doing this you are practicing patience without even realizing it, your opponent usually loses patience while you just dance around them not really even acting as though you care they are there and the instant they make a false move, let slip dogs of war. Just try not to overextend yourself. getting caught reaching with any one is dangerous.

Last edited:

BrightTempest

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrightTempest
3DS FC
0404-9255-2974
But both angel's have the exact same numbers for their fthrow

View attachment 93337

View attachment 93338

I also apologize if I'm being really nitpicky right now :(
Honestly I'm reevaluating my life right now.

On another note, I will not be able to come on this thread much for the next week until around thursday as I will be having midterms and an excess of hw and studying, which comes first for me. Feel free to continue discussing things until my return to the internet. I will catch up eventually.

Inumi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kingluigi28
3DS FC
1289-8795-1666
I don't know if anybody noticed or if Pit can also do it, but you can use the electroshock arm to slide on the stage while using it in midair when here's not something blocking the way. And a little bit upper than to do an ldge grab. Not really sure how to explain it correcly. If I had the option to upload video it'll be easier.

EDIT: Damnit! I posted my video on Fb but still can't freaking get it here.
https://www.facebook.com/RoyalTaranza/videos/vb.100000737142387/1179198482114712/?type=2&theater

Last edited:
Top Bottom