• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Melee (A competitive SSBM android app)

Phenoz

Smash Cadet
Hello Melee community! My name is Dan and my tag is “Phenoz.” I am in school in Boston and joined the competitive Melee community after EVO and watching the documentary. My first tournament was NSA, and since then I have attended “Game Over” our weekly Boston tournament and a few others along the way. It’s safe to say that I am still a new player with a ton to learn.

I’ve had some free time on my hands and I have always wanted to learn app development, so I decided to make a competitive SSBM app. I found a neat tool called MIT app inventor, which I used to make this very simple app. The app is very straightforward and can be used for players to access information such as general character info and matchup info as well as videos that demonstrate certain matchups and advanced techniques. I thought it would be a useful tool for players to have access to a large amount of Smash knowledge without even needing to use the Internet so they can prep before/during tournaments to advance their game. Or if you do have Internet you can watch the top players for each character and how they play in certain matchups as well as learn how to do the many advanced techniques in Melee.

(Note: The reason I went on about how I am a new player is because none of the information about the characters/advanced terms and techniques is my own. It was all taken from Smashboards and is expert opinions)

The app is called “Advanced Melee” and can be downloaded for android users on the Google play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_PhenozD.Advanced_Melee&hl=en

Here I will demonstrate the uses of the app. The following screen is the main menu, with buttons to access the “Advanced Terms/Techniques” screen, the “Characters” screen, the “Tournament Rules” screen, the “About” screen, and exit.

Clicking on the “Advanced Terms/Techniques” button brings you to the following screen. Clicking the “View Terms” button brings up a long list of terms and techniques that are used in Melee. Clicking the “Watch Videos” button brings up a youtube playlist of videos demonstrating the Advanced Techniques in Melee. Clicking the Menu button brings the user back to the main menu.

Clicking on the “Characters” button brings the user to a screen with all of the Melee characters. The user can choose a character to find more information about them. Clicking the menu button brings the user back to the main menu.

In this example, the user clicked on Marth, and is brought to the following screen. A picture of the character is shown with buttons underneath.

The General Info button displays general information about the character below the buttons. Pro tip: holding the General Info button will hide the general info.

Clicking the Videos button brings the user to a list of all the characters in the game. Selecting one of the characters from that list brings the user to a youtube playlist of a top level Marth player against a top level player using the selected character.

Clicking the Matchup Info button brings up a similar list as the videos list, the only difference being that there is a (Clear) button at the top to clear the matchup information that was previously displayed. Clicking on a character will display text below the buttons describing the matchup between Marth and the selected character.

Clicking the “Back to characters” button brings the user to the "Characters" screen.

Back in the Main menu, clicking the “Tournament Rules” button brings the user to the Apex 2014 ruleset for Melee. Here the user can read about how to play a competitive Melee set. Clicking the “Menu” button brings the user back to the main menu.

From the main menu, clicking on the “About” button brings the user to a screen that displays information about the application and the recognition for the people who’s write ups made this application possible.

Finally, clicking the exit button from the main menu closes the application.

This is my first app. Let me know what you think! Also you will find that there are quite a few blank matchup descriptions and blank youtube playlists. This is because I could not find suitable write ups or matches. If you are interested in analyzing some of these match-ups or find suitable videos displaying these match-ups please contact me and I will add them in.

Last edited:

Urz

Smash Cadet
Screenshots are broken FYI.

You also might want to include a direct link to the Play store page.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Through my brief look through the app I can confirm it's pretty much all stuff from Smashboards and similar resources. That said, as long as you have provided credit there's no problem with that, and I think it's a convenient offline resource.

My suggestion is to get started on finding more videos to demonstrate character matchups, as I think one video is not enough to represent the matchup typically. I understand it's new though, so I can't hold it against you. I look forward to seeing this develop, as I always felt that Smash really needs a central hub for info.

Oh, do you plan on doing similar projects down the road for other Smash games like 64/Brawl/PM?

Phenoz

Smash Cadet
Through my brief look through the app I can confirm it's pretty much all stuff from Smashboards and similar resources. That said, as long as you have provided credit there's no problem with that, and I think it's a convenient offline resource.

My suggestion is to get started on finding more videos to demonstrate character matchups, as I think one video is not enough to represent the matchup typically. I understand it's new though, so I can't hold it against you. I look forward to seeing this develop, as I always felt that Smash really needs a central hub for info.

Oh, do you plan on doing similar projects down the road for other Smash games like 64/Brawl/PM?
Yeah I'll add a google play store link on this post. I'll take some time and add videos to the playlists, I just wanted to get the app out and do that later since I do not need to update the app in order to update them. As for the other games, the addition of more and more characters makes it exponentially longer to make, and for a game like PM how much matchup knowledge is really out there? The game is so young I just don't see there being a bunch of useful matchup info already published. Add on top of that the game gets updated and characters get buffed and nerfed, I just don't see that happening

SpiderMad

Smash Master
That app designer looks great, how familiar are you with it @ P Phenoz ? Would you be willing to help me if I run into issues making an App? I was thinking a PM one could be made, but not concerning stuff like Match ups. Maybe we could work together.

Last edited:

Phenoz

Smash Cadet
That app designer looks great, how familiar are you with it @ P Phenoz ? Would you be willing to help me if I run into issues making an App? I was thinking a PM one could be made, but not concerning stuff like Match ups. Maybe we could work together.
I'll be honest, you need to do a lot of workarounds for duplicating screens, often making the tool unstable. It recommends having a Max of 10 screens and I have 30 but if you aren't doing as much as I did then yeah I could show you some stuff.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'll be honest, you need to do a lot of workarounds for duplicating screens, often making the tool unstable. It recommends having a Max of 10 screens and I have 30 but if you aren't doing as much as I did then yeah I could show you some stuff.
That sounds odd, so it's made for really simple apps then? I was thinking of exact frame stuff first (like stage size boundaries of all the PM stages)
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-social-thread-v3-02.339825/page-237#post-16123897

Last edited:

Phenoz

Smash Cadet
That sounds odd, so it's made for really simple apps then? I was thinking of exact frame stuff first (like stage size boundaries of all the PM stages)
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-social-thread-v3-02.339825/page-237#post-16123897
A really complex app doesn't need 10+ screens. I could have used a different layout to do the same application I just really liked this way.

I like your idea about the frame data. I could possibly update my app with that for melee

Phenoz

Smash Cadet
I updated the app to include frame data/hitboxes. I also updated some of the matchup playlists. Should see changes in the app store in a few hours

Acryte

Smash Ace
Frame data and hitboxes would be useful for most players. Since most of the hitbox stuff has been converted to images, it shouldn't be too hard.

Phenoz

Smash Cadet
Since I added the frame data to the app, I received some requests to add the frame data into the app without having to use the internet to go to smashboards. I would like this too, so I have begun working on this. I have run into a ton of problems.

1. This will take a long time to complete. I need to manually download all the gifs from all the characters and update each screen. I can't just use a template and then copy the screens because the app is already made.
2. App inventor doesn't let you compile an app thats > 5.5 MB, so I am trying to get the workaround methods to work.
3. On average, these GIFS are ~1 MB a piece. For example, Bowser has 28 GIFS that add up to 26 MB of space. Multiply that by the remaining 25 characters, this app is going to end up being around ~650 MB. Now there are ways to compress the gifs, but I can't seem to find a tool that will compress a large amount of them. If someone knows of a way to do that then I can might be able to go through with this, but a 650 MB app is too big I think.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I'm sure there are applications that let you mass compress .gifs, but I don't know any off-hand.

I like this idea. App is a bit clunky (obviously), but has some good info for someone on the go maybe wanting to brush up on some knowledge on their way to a tourney or something like that. Keep going.

kelots

Smash Cadet
yo i installed this and my anti virus (f-secure) detected it as a threat - any idea why?

also the permissions seemed a bit weird e.g. access to my call information

Phenoz

Smash Cadet
yo i installed this and my anti virus (f-secure) detected it as a threat - any idea why?

also the permissions seemed a bit weird e.g. access to my call information
Not sure why it does either honestly.

Top Bottom