• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced match settings?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I know there's this giant chasm between competitive play and casual play. Some of the bigger factors that set the two apart are the use of advanced techniques and the nuances of the physics.

Now I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment by thinking this way, but I feel like one way to facilitate a balance between those play styles is to give more control to the players as to how things work.

We already have things like handicaps, damage ratio, etc. They could perhaps create a submenu of the options meny for "Advanced Settings." This could include slider controls for things like gravity, speed, hitstun duration, etc. and toggles for things like tripping (which would default to OFF in my hypothetical instance), directional and multiple air dodge, etc. And perhaps you could save presets to make it easy to switch between "modes," if you will.

I recognize that these options only mean anything to pro players, but because of that, the default settings would be geared towards a more casual style of play, while the option exists to make things run in a more competitive fashion. This degree of match customization just seems logical.

Heck, having these types of options also sounds like it could be fun for creating really gimmicky fights as well.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I recognize that these options only mean anything to pro players, but because of that, the default settings would be geared towards a more casual style of play, while the option exists to make things run in a more competitive fashion. This degree of match customization just seems logical.

Heck, having these types of options also sounds like it could be fun for creating really gimmicky fights as well.

You'd be surprised how much fun this could be for casual players too. Long sessions of Smash with friends sometimes to devolve to playing with Special Brawl and having lightning fast matches or an "All Clocks" match (super slow with clocks being the only item) etc. People would mess with these and have fun and find interesting ways to play, I feel.

toggles for things like tripping (which would default to OFF in my hypothetical instance)

Well, tripping is out either way ;)

But I know the competitive players wanted a switch for stage hazards to be off during Brawl's development/after release and I can see why. That being said the most of the stages we've seen so far have been pretty basic as far as we know so maybe that won't be necessary.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
You'd be surprised how much fun this could be for casual players too. Long sessions of Smash with friends sometimes to devolve to playing with Special Brawl and having lightning fast matches or an "All Clocks" match (super slow with clocks being the only item) etc. People would mess with these and have fun and find interesting ways to play, I feel.
Bro, I like the way you think. =P

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I think this is a good idea. It would be a lot of fun to play around with.

What I really want though is a slider option for Melee-type mechanics and Brawl-type mechanics. That way hardcore players get the fast, technical game they want and casuals get the slow, non-competitive version. Everybody wins.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Who would decide which exact settings would be used though?
In the end everyone would play with the default settings anyway.

Those advanced settings would probably mostly be used for fun.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I think this is a good idea. It would be a lot of fun to play around with.

What I really want though is a slider option for Melee-type mechanics and Brawl-type mechanics. That way hardcore players get the fast, technical game they want and casuals get the slow, non-competitive version. Everybody wins.

Well I figured that a slider between "Brawl style" and "Melee style" is far too arbitrary of a metric, so I tried breaking it down into the key areas in which the two games differ. But I don't know all of the ways in which they differ, so I just said "etc." XP

Who would decide which exact settings would be used though?
In the end everyone would play with the default settings anyway.

Those advanced settings would probably mostly be used for fun.
Sakurai would decide, silly. =P And in the end, some people would make their own presets that fit their preferences. I know I would. I don't care what the majority would do: this idea isn't meant for the majority.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
All I want is an option to save my settings.I'm sick of having to open up the options and set it to
Stock: 3
Stage Choice: Turns
Score Display: True

EVERY SINGLE TIME

But at least it remembers my item settings.
NONE

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
All I want is an option to save my settings.I'm sick of having to open up the options and set it to
Stock: 3
Stage Choice: Turns
Score Display: True

EVERY SINGLE TIME

But at least it remembers my item settings.
NONE

Yeah, letting the settings that were last used persist after the system is shut off is a simple thing to do. It was a poor design decision to not do that.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, letting the settings that were last used persist after the system is shut off is a simple thing to do. It was a poor design decision to not do that.
Indeed. I can't tell you how many times I had to quit a match and change the stupid settings.

Top Bottom