• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Hugging (A more efficient way to Hug)

Runicwings

Smash Apprentice
New Hug Technique!!!

In this Thread Im basicly going to tell you about "Advanced Hugging." I haven't come up with a better term, it technicly IS hugging but WAY faster and much easier to pull off.

Basicly, we all know how to hug the stage, run off then hit the joy stick towards the ledge, simple right? Well sometimes it doesnt even work! Or sometimes you just dont get there fast enough.

The new Method I cam across to hug the stage is much quicker, and is way more reliable and simpler. (To my opinion)

Its a fairly simple process, for starters, Just dodge roll unto a ledge until you cannot be closer to the ledge without falling off. From there you basicly do a "Moonwalk" starting by running off the ledge and doing a half moon on the joystick towards the ledge.

In turn this will make you almost seemingly Fall off the ledge and grab on to it without any forward distance. Once you have mastered it by just rolling back unto the ledge, try out your timing by running off a ledge and performing a half moon on the joystick backwards, it is fairly easy but will take a few try's.

I have a theory with the mechanic, To me its basicly like melee where sometimes your Captain falcon and you run off FD doing a downsmash and you fast fall to your doom. Basicly, your doing this in brawl, but on purpose so the ledge can catch you, so the frames during all of this go as stated.

You go forward to do basicly just run off the ledge, once off, you start your half moon.
Once your Joystick is facing down on the controller you perform a fastfall.
Now at the end of the half moon, your joystick is facing backwards and is now able to hug the stage and you will find your self on the ledge almost instantaneously.

I'll have a youtube vid of it soon and ill edit a link into this thread for now try it out it really works I do it all the time to Olimar users and Ivysaurs, watch out you guys >_____0.

Sorry for the lame quality But as of now I dont have the proper equipment to record it, I hope it helps and you guys can make it out but here is the link to the Vid where I show you it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZKmAvX9rKY8

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I'll have to try this out, undoubtedly.

Thankfully ZSS has ways around things like this.

Runicwings

Smash Apprentice
Mines is alot quicker then the normal method. Its actually overall better from all my tests and testimonies of the ppl who have used it, ill have a vid up soon showing you,

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Not new but definitely useful. Not trying to rag on your thread, I'm sure plenty of people don't know about this, but it was discovered and discussed here prior to the NA release.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Then Please provide us a link, they may have a more in depth layout of out it works. Thanks for the Info.
^-^
*Shrug* No idea what thread it was in. I definitely read it the day I got Brawl though because it was one of the first things I tried out when I got the game. It's simple enough, doesn't really need a video at all-- just walk or run off the edge, hit down and QUICKLY slide the control stick up a quarter circle up from the bottom, towards the stage. Go try it out guys, it's quite useful.

Esca

Smash Champion
Hey man, i like the "advanced hugging" technique, but it isn't very nessacary, (terrible spelling.)

It would have been great in melee, but not so much in brawl.

You see, in Brawl, you need to edgeguard, rather than edgehog. Edgeguarding is more efficient in the fact that you dont need to risk falling. You simply jump off after them, f-air, and jump back. you kill them and don't risk your invincible frames from the ledge being taken away.

Edgehogging is your method. you just grab the ledge to prevent your opponent from getting back. But, it's uneffective in Brawl, since the recoveries are so ridiculous.

But here's my method.
Edgehod, (your method) into an edgeguard, (jump off the ledge then b-air to hit them)

reply on what you think about it, (pm me)

greenblob

Smash Lord
That's really character dependent. Edgehogging especially ***** tether recoveries. Also, you can both edgehog and edgeguard. Marth and Jiggly made good use of edgehog->bair->edgehog->bair etc. in Melee, and you can do that in Brawl too. And there are invincibility frames when you edgehog.

Keta

Smash Journeyman
I've been doing this since the game came out. o.0 It's just like wd ff to edge.. and you don't even have to moonwalk. Just do a quarter circle down. You don't have to hold toward the edge to grab it. It doesn't matter, either way you're facing. Just be sure to not have down held when you're grabbing it.

D1

Banned via Administration
Yeah I been doing this for a minute. I just call it the "Hadouken-guard" since ppl never understand how to do it or what name to give it. So I just call it the Hadouken. So far all my pals in NYC smash that know about this technique say the name sticks. So if you wanna change the name you can give me credit kthx ^_^.

Top Bottom