• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Early Killing Throw Combo

Squiiidzoid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5026-5302-6885
As we all know, Downthrow Down B is one of Luigi's best and most reliable killing options, but i have found an advanced way to make this kill even earlier, and still be just as reliable and unavoidable. Basically, the combo goes Downthrow> Fullhop> Instant Nair (Nair as soon as you leave the ground)> Double jump> Down B (mash, move to the side, and use double jump momentum to make it rise more). A more in-depth description is first you Dthrow, then you do a fullhop and Nair instantly, so the very end of Nair (weak hit) hits the opponent, meaning you get a tiny amount of endlag, and your opponent gets sent straight up and in more hitstun. You then double jump and Down B, going way closer to the blastzone (with optimal mashing you can take them far offscreen). You have to be quite precise with this to make it a true combo, which is why i called it advanced.

I just thought i should share this, since it should make Luigi do a lot better, earlier kills are always nice, and it might make him used more or make his MUs better. Also i haven't seen any top players ever do this. Slightly unrelated, but you can also do Upthrow Down B for really early kills, but this requires you to read whether they will airdodge or not (not too bad, Diddy players have to do it all the time for Upthrow Upair). Also if you ever land a weak Nair you can combo it into a double jump Down B, and if you miss it should be impossible for them to punish if you make it rise, since you will be very far away from them and not in freefall.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
This is nothing more than a read, it doesn't work.

And if you miss, you can expect to be punished

Pyr

Smash Lord
DThrow > sour hit Nair is a true combo. Down B from the nair isn't a true combo via training mode, but the FH sourhit nair will give us time to react to an air-dodge, aerial, etc. Also, if they can't react within 4-6 frames of leaving hitstun, it might as well be a true combo, as nothing they'd have, including air dodge, is fast enough to escape. They'd have to be frame perfect.

If we do the down B on the first frame that we can, along with our double jump (as in we conditioned them to never air dodge and let us catch them, or they don't have any decent options in this position), then you start getting Down-B to kill sub 90 without rage.

That, and we can follow an air-dodge if they don't fast-fall. So, if you can kill outright from dthrow, just kill them. But, if you sacrifice a few % for the sour hit, you end up getting them into a low-risk, high reward situation for Luigi. If they do nothing, they die early. If they air dodge and we read it, they're now falling towards Luigi and we can get anything we can get off of a d-throw, but higher in the air. If they jump, they are now above Luigi without a jump. If they attack, it has to be one of the fastest attacks in the game AND has to hit either well in front, behind, or under them to do anything simply because Down-B is disjointed and fast enough to catch people. If they do nothing and also specifically wait to do something on reaction... We get free whatever through conditioning and baits.

I love playing Luigi as a setup character and this compliments him so well. Let me know how your testing goes.
=D

But ya. Rising weak hit of Nair is true, but the Down-B isn't. People can air-dodge it. That said, Nair is amazing at mid percents because of the advantage it can give.

Top Bottom