• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advance Wars General Thread

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just a head's up, there's a rumor that the remakes are coming in February. Something about an email regarding pre-orders? Thing is, that'd be close to the one year anniversary of... the reason the remakes were delayed in the first place, so take it with a grain of salt.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Just a head's up, there's a rumor that the remakes are coming in February. Something about an email regarding pre-orders? Thing is, that'd be close to the one year anniversary of... the reason the remakes were delayed in the first place, so take it with a grain of salt.
Rumor from where?

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Like how the rumors start literally a couple days after I caved & decided to get the games on Virtual Console instead of the remake in case it got canceled. Would have happily waited patiently if I was still able to add eshop funds after next month. Oh well, maybe i will pick it up when its cheaper years later, normally dont buy remakes of games I already own. Still hopeful the remake could lead to a better future for the franchise & wayforward collaborations.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I've seen some sites reporting on it:

Hm, the date is pretty conspicuous and the retail website thing might just be a placeholder or inaccuracy or something. I think it would be a mistake to count on that being it.

Like how the rumors start literally a couple days after I caved & decided to get the games on Virtual Console instead of the remake in case it got canceled. Would have happily waited patiently if I was still able to add eshop funds after next month. Oh well, maybe i will pick it up when its cheaper years later, normally dont buy remakes of games I already own. Still hopeful the remake could lead to a better future for the franchise & wayforward collaborations.
Well idk if the remake is a total replacement for the charm and spritework of the originals, and the remake will probably offer new features like online play. Plus both purchases show Nintendo your interest in the franchise. Of course it is up to you how you spend your money, though.

Last edited:

SomeSamiFan

Smash Rookie
Eh, it's probably best to just see what happens, I don't really like rumors, anyway.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Notice that a Nintendo representative responded to an inquiry about AW today after it was absent from the Direct. They basically just said the release date is still TBD, but that acknowledgment is better than nothing.

[Source: Stephen Totilo (Twitter)]

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Notice that a Nintendo representative responded to an inquiry about AW today after it was absent from the Direct. They basically just said the release date is still TBD, but that acknowledgment is better than nothing.

[Source: Stephen Totilo (Twitter)]
Wondering if the reason they're taking so long is just so WayForward's gone to redesign the characters to be more "modern" and dare I say, "pandering" for Western social media via meme humor, wokeness elements and so on... :218:

(Just look what happened with River City Girls and how much incessant bootstrapping was forced on previous games in Kunio-Kun series just to make it retroactively fit the River City Girls-style of "writing".)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Wondering if the reason they're taking so long is just so WayForward's gone to redesign the characters to be more "modern" and dare I say, "pandering" for Western social media via meme humor, wokeness elements and so on... :218:

(Just look what happened with River City Girls and how much incessant bootstrapping was forced on previous games in Kunio-Kun series just to make it retroactively fit the River City Girls-style of "writing".)
I... don't think that's what it is. Keep in mind, the remakes are pretty much finished at this point. It really is just a case of when will Nintendo decide it's a good time to release it.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Wondering if the reason they're taking so long is just so WayForward's gone to redesign the characters
Given the situation, it's probably best to just take the reason for the delay at face value.

It's not impossible they'd try to touch up a few things during the extra time to release that they now have, but (1) it's probably more profitable for them to start on their next project and (2) I doubt they'd want to delay the game even further with any inessential touch-ups or art redesigns.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

You okay?

There's a lot to unpack here.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You okay?

There's a lot to unpack here.
I haven't been feeling hot on WayForward lately after their handling of Kunio-Kun/River City Ransom-series with their River City Girls-branding: making a more modern spinoff series which unfortunately had to sprinkle in social media pandering elements out of working staff appeal such as meme humor or Youtuber Celeb cameos. I went to ignore the series personally until WayForward went to forcibly rebrand a very tonally inconsistent previous game in the franchise under the River City Girls-name, now throwing a mess on one of the finest titles in the series.

To give them some credit though, they did pretty admirable work on keeping the original game's script and tone available for the localization, but I guess it baffled me that the idea of rebranding the game this way got this far in the first place. (I¨d been more than okay if they settled on calling it "River City Zero" to keep the RCG and Kunio-Kun separated lore-wise.)

Anyway.. to be realistic, having broad strokes appealing to modern-day internet audience getting applied to a mere remake without a second thought, sounds pretty outlandish, but after witnessing above happening along other modern games adopting similar "portrayals" of characters (Multiversus's Shaggy) - I don't think I can treat that as a necessarily preposterous of happening (unless Intelligent Systems gave WayForward clear mandates on handling their IP and characters.)

I general, just haven't been too keen on WayForward handling a pre-establihed IP these days, so them being behind this remake is making me anxious that their practices I mentioned above might bleed stealthily in this game. It's most likely not going to happen, but WayForward's practices before this remake and the general tendency for Western game developers to write nowadays social media audiences is kinda elevating this to a slight feeling of "maybe??".

Though probably they could go all out in an entirely new installment in Advance Wars-series if they're given reigns to do so - not that I'd like it very much, especially if that's done with little to no tact.:025:

I... don't think that's what it is. Keep in mind, the remakes are pretty much finished at this point. It really is just a case of when will Nintendo decide it's a good time to release it.
Pretty much - I feel that has only made this come off all the more perplexing. I guess I'm trying to prepare for a personally irritating but not 100% impossible "what-if" based on what WayForward's done previously with River City Ransom-series. :100:

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Hm, wonder how long this delay will go, my guess would be mid to late next year since i feel like it probably wont come too soon if it wasnt in that direct or too close to fe engage.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
It's fair to question WayForward being a Western developer remaking a Japanese game and also being inexperienced with turn-based strategy games. These factors might be part of why the remake is apparently very 1-to-1 with the original. Hopefully they did a good job, though. I'd love to be able to tell for sure but I can't actually play the game yet...

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I guess the news about the war has quieted down enough for the remake now.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Forget the game itself...this little animated cinematic is more than I could have dreamed for this series in terms of official content just a few short years ago.

Also, all this Direct speculation has brought AW some more spotlight, so maybe this whole delay situation ends up ok in the end; at least we can hope.

Lots of anticipation for seeing how the game does in April.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well now that the game is actually coming out...

How successful do you think it will be?

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Well now that the game is actually coming out...

How successful do you think it will be?
For those here who didn't read what I said in the other thread, my realistic expectation is between .5mil and 1mil sales, though if it could beat 1mil that would be an exceptional performance given all the circumstances regarding this release.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For those here who didn't read what I said in the other thread, my realistic expectation is between .5mil and 1mil sales, though if it could beat 1mil that would be an exceptional performance given all the circumstances regarding this release.
How does that compare to other Advance Wars releases?

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Looks like they showed off (spoiled?) a lot of new animations in this trailer.

Maybe somebody can confirm this, but it's not clear to me how they will handle AW1 vs. AW2 rules in the local/online VS and War Room modes. Seems most likely that once you access the mode you will have the option between the two rulesets?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I’m quite excited to finally be able to pick up this game. If it released when it was originally scheduled it would have been out for more than a year by now.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I preordered it when it was announced. I've held on to that preorder.

The promised time has almost come.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Ordered my copy just now. Safe to say there's a lot riding on this remake in terms of a potential future for the series, the same way Awakening's strong sales not only saved FE from death, but elevated it to a much higher standing among the Nintendo pantheon of franchises.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Has someone on the internet yet compiled a definitive list of gameplay changes from the original? I mean, including any changes to the AI, changes to the campaign maps, or any other potential subtle adjustments to the mechanics (for ex. luck damage).

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Having missed out on the original release back in 2001, I am very much enjoying this game. Though I just go to the first fight with Sturm….got wrecked for the first time all campaign. Not looking forward to the rematch….

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Having missed out on the original release back in 2001, I am very much enjoying this game. Though I just go to the first fight with Sturm….got wrecked for the first time all campaign. Not looking forward to the rematch….
Don't feel bad.

Sturm has a reputation for being really hard.

Top Bottom