• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ADs Ads and more Ads

Teethpaste101

Smash Apprentice
I keep on getting ads while seaching the net i know i need pop up blocks but how do i get it do i need to download it. Yeah 101 posts for Teethpaste101

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
If you don't use firefox web browser you probably should and it has a great ad blocker. You can block ads from whole URLs. All you have to do is right click on the image itself and then click on "block all images from [whatever the URL is of the source of the image]" it's great.

Just google firefox and download it from the first link.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
If its continual pop-ups, you probably have adware on your computer. Pop-up blockers may block them, but that's like turning on your car radio up all the way so you can't hear the engine failing -- the problem is still there if you notice or not. Try a program that gets rid of adware, such as Ad-Aware, Spybot, and A-squared. Check here

Hope this helps, and good luck! =D

Jammer

Smash Lord
But just so you know, if you use things like AdBlock Plus with Firefox, you'll never click on adds. Some webmasters need the money they get when people click ads to keep the site running. I'm sure Gideon would know what percentage of SmashBoards' revenue comes from ads; I'm guessing it's a good amount, as the boards have quite a large amount of advertising. So not seeing ads a kind of like stealing from websites, which is bad when you're stealing from a site like smashboards.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
no problem :). And as a friendly reminder, try not to bump too many old/already-answered threads, ok? ;)

PohTayToez

Smash Cadet
It's always good to perform some routine maintenance on your computer. A few good programs that people haven't yet mentioned:

AVG Free:
http://free.grisoft.com/
AVG is pretty much universally considered the best free Anti-Virus program among computer aficionados. Also, I know this may come as a shock, but popular programs such as Norton and McAfee are among the worst available. They aren't kept as up to date, are intrusive, and much more resource heavy than many cheap and even free alternatives.

CCleaner:
http://www.ccleaner.com/
A good tool to just overall clean up your computer. Frees up memory space by clearing out unneeded files and is an awesome registry fixer.

And someone already mentioned Spybot Search & Destroy (safer networking), which is good to run every once and a while, as it might pick up things AVG misses.

Jammer

Smash Lord
It's always good to perform some routine maintenance on your computer. A few good programs that people haven't yet mentioned:
Or just use Linux like I do. I've never had a single virus or adware or spyware of any description. Linux makes your bones stronger, too.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Or just use Linux like I do. I've never had a single virus or adware or spyware of any description. Linux makes your bones stronger, too.
yeah linux really is amazing. once you have it all configured and set up the way you want it, the only thing it doesnt give you is ultimate gaming. other than that, its faster, more versatile, better programs, better looking, FREE, more secure, and overall easier to use...its hard to believe but it really is.

Jammer

Smash Lord
yeah linux really is amazing. once you have it all configured and set up the way you want it, the only thing it doesnt give you is ultimate gaming.
And it even does that for many popular games if you're willing to take the time to set up Wine (also free) on your computer.

For example, World of Warcraft, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, and many others work on Linux using Wine.

Quake 4 and Doom 3, along with other major games, have both Windows and Linux versions (and often Mac versions).

And almost every open source game has a Linux version.

And Wine is always improving--Half-Life 2 was unplayable under Wine just a year ago, but now you can get through it without any major problems (except for rare crashes).

Okay, sorry for commandeering this thread.

Top Bottom