• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adam Sessler Now Editor-In-Chief

Mr_X

Smash Apprentice
From Kotaku...

G4 just named X-Play co-host Adam Sessler as their Editor-in-Chief of Games Content. That means on top of overseeing editorial content for X-Play, Sessler will be charged with overseeing all game content for the entire network. He will also remain on TV with Morgan Webb.
“Adam is an incredible resource and has helped position G4 and “X-Play” as the center of the gaming universe,” said Neal Tiles, President G4 TV. “We are lucky to have an industry expert with his experience, wisdom and passion, as well as his strong relationships throughout the gaming community, leading our team.”
While this is certainly good news for Adam, I can't help but wonder:

Is X-Play, or G4 for that matter, still relevant?

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
X-Play and G4 are garbage in my opinion. They like whatever the public likes, they ignore what the public ignores, and their opinions are whatever the public's opinions are. They just go with the mainstream, they never have any opinions that are really unique or startling.

Puddin

Smash Lord
^^^I could not agree more.

I was recently watching an episode (I believe it was a special, not a regular) and Morgan Webb starting Bawing about how bummed she was that the LittleBigPlanet levels were being unfairly moderated, albeit this could be anyone's opinion it really felt like she was just saying it to get on the good side/stay in touch with the other LBP fans that were clearly bawing their eyes out on the LBP site.

Morgan Webb should be canned, in my opinion. She defends her title as a girl gamer way too much for people to care anymore, as if they did in the first place, and really won't shut up about it. Not to mention she is a terrible T.V. personality.

Adam Sessler is just there. He does nothing, he has some thing where he stands on his little Soap Box in his corner of the neighborhood and rants about what the gaming community rants about. At least they got rid of those painfully unfunny comedy sketches about their interns.

Edit: I was mistaken, unfunny inter skits still exist.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, that Cessler's soapbox thing is just terrible. His opinions are just what the majority wants to hear, and he never really has any convincing reasons for why he thinks things. And Morgan Webb may be terrible, but at least she's decent eye candy.

Mr_X

Smash Apprentice
Although the opinions expressed by Adam and Morgan may not be completely original, perhaps they are truly saying how they feel. Just because an idea isn't original doesn't mean it isn't necessarily worth sharing (or having for that matter).

That being said, I tried watching AOTS recently and man....it just isn't the same.....:(

It should be dually noted (for those that are wondering) that when I raise the question about G4's relevance, I'm speaking about the television programming -- not the online content.

With news readily available online, is there a place for television programming that hits on the same stories? There's definately some valid propositions for those that answer either "YAY" or "NAY".

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
People actually still watch Spike TV Jr G4?

I honestly couldn't care less.
Yeah, I hear ya. I hate the new direction of G4. What happened to old Cinematech, Portal, Icons, Blister, That-one-show-with-Diane-Mizota, Judgement Day, etc? Those should be the core programs, not part of some throwback block. I think X-Play was from Tech Tv, though...

X-Play used to be funny and informative at the same time, now they're neither and I don't think even the Sess can save it.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Is there some kind of new social group for putting Santa Hats on your avatars? Weird.

Anyway...

Maybe if G4 wasn't Cops Marathon + B list movie that they think is good + Big Hulking ****** Vs. Car (Man vs. Man made) + Cheaters + Least Video Game Related Show on Television then it might have a shot at glory. Until then it's in a rut of "Hey look, AOTS is kinnda funny, right?"

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't like G4 or whatever it is now.

But surprisingly, they actually did a pretty good preview for Street Fighter IV involving some good questions.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I liked G4 back when it was really low-fi, you know... six, seven years ago. They gave some great video game information (that's where I learned about Morrowind, and boy, did that change my video gaming life) here and there, had some neat little "game shows" (so to speak) including an old late 70's/early 80's arcade-based program. There was also that bizarre series which seemed to be a homebrew video game world with okay visuals, okay animation, and under-okay dialogue. Regardless, it was still captivating. With few commercials to air, you would see the same four or five repeated every 15 minutes. It was cool.

However, the shift to G4-Tech TV ruined them. It was apparent that they were in the process of switching before they even announced it, as more and more video game-based shows began to fall off, and more and more "technology" shows surfaced. Yeah, yeah, they obviously needed money, and that was the only solution, but classic G4 was some **** good TV.

Adam Sessler can suck it for being the conformist little ***** that he is.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I hear ya. I hate the new direction of G4. What happened to old Cinematech, Portal, Icons, Blister, That-one-show-with-Diane-Mizota, Judgement Day, etc? Those should be the core programs, not part of some throwback block. I think X-Play was from Tech Tv, though...

X-Play used to be funny and informative at the same time, now they're neither and I don't think even the Sess can save it.
Dude, what the hell happened to Cinematech, Icons, and Judgement Day? I really liked Judgement Day!

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Judgment Day was awful. The only thing I remember is one of the two reviewers giving a bunch of games a low score because he didn't like the footstep sounds or because you couldn't shoot your allies.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Okay, while I'm happy that Sessler has finally attained a position of importance, I too, do not like what G4's new direction is, particularly, how they turned X-Play into a second Attack of the Show, but Sessler is truly a smart man, and a mastermind on camera, so this could work in G4's favor somehow.

Spire

III
BRoomer
As long as Adam Sessler does not represent the trash that G4 has become, rather assuming the role of a dignified network overseer promoting any and all games, then I'm fine with him. At the moment, I'm not a fan.

Top Bottom