• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Abysmal Recovery = Bad Character?

Keito

Smash Rookie
I've spent enough time playing and pondering, and have decided to ask for some guidance. My initial thought was yea, his recovery is awful, but it's likely that i'm careless/awful too, and/or he probably doesn't have the WORST recovery by a large margin or anything. But after playing for a while, I noticed that:

a) yea, he totally does suffer from a crazy margin. Comparable characters would be Bowser or DK, who have recoveries that give both horizontal and vertical recovery, or Mario, who is floatier and has airspeed to both maneuver safely and close the horizontal gap. On the whole it typically takes great skill and creativity to fight offstage and successfully kill someone, as most characters can recover from anywhere on the map, and when they don't have far to go they have much more room to juke. This is not the case for little mac, who has one, maybe two reasonable options when off the stage at any given point - side b, or up b from under the stage. Countering is useful IF you're successful, but once your opponent realizes it they'll bait your counter, which will screw you even more. Once you're in the 50% range you're in danger of being edgeguarded successfully, and there's not much you can do about it.

b) while his ground game is really good (probably the best), he doesn't have a significant advantage over the rest of the cast in any way, as other characters can compete in their own way, be it a comparable ground game, an excellent air game, or some combination of the two.

c) in a game where true combos are present and (at least currently) relevant, he doesn't have a safe way to break combos. With good reads/reflexes you can counter to anti-air your way safely to ground, but it's risky, and it doesn't stop grabs. Compare this to Link, Mario, or anyone who has an instant strong nair, which can be used to break a combo and/or safely retreat. His options are to evade, dodge, or counter.

My big questions are these: How far off am I in what I've stated?
Is Little Mac the only character that's doomed to get gimped by anyone who can fight offstage (most of the cast really)?
Can all characters as a rule be gimped at low% and I just don't realize it?
Do terrible recoveries make a character bad or unviable to play seriously?

I'd also like to ask about thoughts of what could be changed in Little Mac to make him a more viable character, however futile such a discussion could be. Right now I'm of the mind that his recovery would be perfect if his side b did not put him into freefall. It would buff his recovery to a level on par with the rest of the cast and even give him a bit of offstage fighting ability without giving him any kind of real air game to speak of.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A pitifully short Fire Bird certainly didn't stop Falco
from ruling Melee next to Fox.

Doctor Mario is probably second in the "you're screwed if you're hit
offstage", if he doesn't have his second jump. But Mac is probably
the only character who might not make it back even if no
one attempts to stop, so his recovery is probably still the worst overall.
(Though he can wall-jump, if that's any consolation).

Little Mac is a polarizing character, not really a bad one.
If you can avoid the situations you mentioned above well
enough, then he REALLY works, but otherwise...

His inability to fight offstage is mitigated by KO punch.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
A lot of characters can be gimped at low % with a horizontal launch aerial. You'd just need to take out their double jump.
HINT HINT: LITTLE MAC'S FAIR.
There are some exceptionally cheap characters(in my opinion) who will always make it back, including Peach and Lucario(especially Peach, fully infinite recovery).
You have to remember Punch-Out!! though. In Punch-Out!!, Little Mac was capable of taking down the greatest boxers as long as he didn't take TOO many hits during it. It's the same in this game -- while people complain about his super armor and super-strength smashes, he has low "health" and can be killed easily. He has several strong moves that come out very quickly, but you have to know where and when to use them. Failure in this regard will get you killed.

Keito

Smash Rookie
A pitifully short Fire Bird certainly didn't stop Falco
from ruling Melee next to Fox.

Doctor Mario is probably second in the "you're screwed if you're hit
offstage", if he doesn't have his second jump. But Mac is probably
the only character who might not make it back even if no
one attempts to stop, so his recovery is probably still the worst overall.
(Though he can wall-jump, if that's any consolation).

Little Mac is a polarizing character, not really a bad one.
If you can avoid the situations you mentioned above well
enough, then he REALLY works, but otherwise...

His inability to fight offstage is mitigated by KO punch.
Falco had an abysmal recovery in a game where a lot of characters had bad recoveries, and was at the top because he could pressure from far and could fight/combo everyone well up close. And as you pointed out, the bad recoveries in melee Falco and present Doc occur when effectively edgeguarded (doc could tornado to gain height and was floaty, falco has a high jump and a few recovery approach options) whereas Mac's is just inherently lacking, with no need to gimp him after his second jump, but is painfully easy to do so if needed.

And yea, I'm more concerned with his recovery than any ability to fight offstage, his offense is fine as is.

EDIT: I agree, there's something to be said of 'if you don't get hit he demolishes everything'.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
when little mac's recovery is so bad....you gotta wonder how hard it is for him on small stages where accidentally hitting side-b can end in his demise

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
when little mac's recovery is so bad....you gotta wonder how hard it is for him on small stages where accidentally hitting side-b can end in his demise
Remember how that used to be the case for Fox and Falco?
Good times. (And yet they were the best in Melee).

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
One word about why characters with bad recoveries are irrelevant to how good/bad they are:

Olimar :olimar:

Nuff' said.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One word about why characters with bad recoveries are irrelevant to how good/bad they are:

Olimar :olimar:

Nuff' said.
This is sort of true but, unlike Little Mac, Brawl Olimar had a good number of options for protecting himself while coming back to the stage and an above average second job to help make up for his laughably bad recovery. As far as offstage games go, Little Mac is worse than Brawl's Ivysaur.

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
unlike Little Mac, Brawl Olimar had... an above average second job.
Primary job: Delivery Boy.
Secondary Job: Planet Vulture. 8)

In all honesty, his recovery IS the worst in the game, but he still has a fair amount of options to recover!

Counter is really helpful, and Little Mac thankfully has a wall jump!

While he is kinda screwed once he has to recover, he has a lot of tools at his disposal to prevent him from getting in a bad situation like that as long as you play smart.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Primary job: Delivery Boy.
Secondary Job: Planet Vulture. 8)

In all honesty, his recovery IS the worst in the game, but he still has a fair amount of options to recover!

Counter is really helpful, and Little Mac thankfully has a wall jump!

While he is kinda screwed once he has to recover, he has a lot of tools at his disposal to prevent him from getting in a bad situation like that as long as you play smart.
I was kind of convinced Dr. Mario's was, actually...

Grump

Smash Apprentice
In all honesty, a momentarily-pseudo-campy Little Mac has enough tools at his disposal to avoid being edge-grabbed. Just keep poking at them with tilts (specially dat d-tilt) and jabs until they make a mistake or get aggravated and approach. Short-hopped nairs and dairs are a pretty safe bet if you think they're about to hit you with one of the nastier d-smashes that frequently launch us parallel to the ground.

The recovery is terrible, but it's also entirely our fault if we get pelted badly enough to need it.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
+super fast attacks
+his smashes usually have top priority
+fast rolls and dodges in general
+a 1 hit ko move, can be hard to land but with practice you can find an opening and execute it well

-bad recovery
-slow arials

he is a simpler character but he gets the job done.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just cuz he has an embarrasing recovery doesn't mean he's a bad character. With ridiculously fast attacks, smash attacks with super armor and all that other crazy **** he has, he's a force to be reckoned with especially in the right hands. In the wrong hands however...yeah it's pretty much end of the road for him.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
I think Mac will ride through the teir lists in the right hands.....and I mean extremely right hands. Little mac gets the most out of pivot and dash dance to PP techniques. This will make his ground game amazing if someone takes the time to execute them effectively.

Yeah his recovery is trash and I think your side b proposal would be a great buff but he CAN do well without it....just good luck against a capable shiek...because you WILL get destroyed. So to any mac mains, I admire your dedication but you'll need a counter for chars like shiek of pikachu....because no matter how great your neutral game is, they can beat you out rather easily and the MU becomes a guessing game for you

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
little mac outside of flat stages sucks. In tournys you will always play against people who ban this stages so little mac is screwed. Even playing on flat stages, characters like megaman, diddy, sheik and ness can beat him easily. Little mac really needs some buffs or else he is screwed.

Top Bottom