• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Abusing the mechanics of a pivot in order to Dsmash gimp your opponent.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Firstly, I know pivot boosting (I think that's what it's called?) and using our Dsmash to gimp are both relatively well known tecniques, and I claim no discovery of them. I'm simply applying some stuff I was trying out in training mode.

I'm not sure if this is new, but it is possible to combine these two techniques (if you can call them that) in order to only hit with the first part of Dsmash at basically any percent. I discovered this for myself when I was testing the pivot -> jab (it gives you a slide).

Ok, well we all know that once Toon Link (well any character I guess) is in their dashing animation, you can push the control stick in the opposite direction and Toon Link will pivot. After this pivot, you can perform a variety of moves that you normally would while being stationary.

This can be done with a jab, grab, throw a bomb and even a Dsmash.

The benefit of pivoting before using a move is that Toon Link will slide a little bit (it isn't that great).

So if we look at the last option I mentioned - Dsmash - we can essentially do a sliding Dsmash.

If we time it right, we can connect with Dsmash's first hit and then miss with the second hit (due to the slide)

I've tested this and it easiest to do at about 100-120% (I'm sure it could be done higher and lower, the spacing/timing may just be different)

To see this for youself, go to training mode with a CPU opponent (I used TL)

1. position yourself right next to your opponent
2. dash away from your opponent, and pivot at almost the earliest stage possible
3. time a Dsmash so you slide and hit your opponent

If done right they will go flying just like they do at low percents or on sloped edges.

I'm not sure how exactly your opponets DI would affect this, but I'm sure could be useful. Especially if it can be done at nearly any percent!

DISCUSS!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Lobos, it's pretty easy to learn. I've done it for some jabs here and there, but the opportunity to use it effectively (and safely) is little. =/

Lobos

Smash Master
Yeah that's what I meant >_>. I have found out combos using this but those can get tricky.

Like pivot boosting dtilt > into bair's.....nothing to fancy, there is more you can do out of this tho

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
So you already knew that it's like possible to Dsmash gimp at 100% with this?

But I see what you mean by this being hard to set up/land

It's already tough enough trying to land a hyphen smash... XD

Tiersr4Queers

Smash Apprentice
:o oh i c. I have to try to this out! does he slide like far like(link's Dash Attack Cancel)or R.O.B's glide toss. Or just goes as far as and hypen? Man that'll be **** if it did go as far as r.o.b's glide toss he basically teleports.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
:o oh i c. I have to try to this out! does he slide like far like(link's Dash Attack Cancel)or R.O.B's glide toss. Or just goes as far as and hypen? Man that'll be **** if it did go as far as r.o.b's glide toss he basically teleports.
The slide isn't that great. From the point where you pivot, you slide about as far as you would for a hyphen smash.

The main problem is there is alot more set up time involved because you have to be dashing for about a second before you can pivot. So for example:

You're standing still in the middle of FD. You dash to one side, pivot and perform the Dsmash/tilt/etc. You will end up roughly about the same place you started.

So unless your opponent approaches, you won't be able to hit them. The only other way that doesn't involve luring them in is running behind your opponent as they spot dodge/shield and then pivot...

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, this can already be done at both ends of Corneria for almost 0% kills.

Top Bottom