• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Absorbing Knowledge Fast

Raysam

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys!

I'm a newly serious smasher scrub newb who really loves the game and the crazy advanced skill at the top level right now. I watch a bunch of matches online and wanted to know what you guys think are the tips you'd give to someone who wants to gain knowledge and tech skills quickly in order to raise their level.

What are your go to resources, practice strategies, methodologies etc?

I have two brother's in law who live in the Orlando area that play Melee and I get to compete with when I visit. I'm based in Miami and would consider my skill level to be beginner. I main Samus and want to develop a good Marth and maybe another character.

I can execute wave-dashes with Samus, and intuitively L-cancel and such but it's not yet part of my game where I don't have to think about it. On the whole i think my game play is still way slower than the top Samus mains like Plup, Duck, Hugs and Esam... However after a day of practice I can string together some nice combos on my bros every so often and steal games from them even though they're at a higher skill level than me.

Would love any advice and things you'd recommend in order to boost my game and maybe attend a couple tourneys so I can get wrekd.

Smash on and thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Check out www.MeleeLibrary.com. It has all the resources you need. There is stuff in there about practicing, how to progress through the game, how to analyze videos. The best skill you can develop is learning how to learn. From there you can develop any skill.

Raysam

Smash Rookie
Check out www.MeleeLibrary.com. It has all the resources you need. There is stuff in there about practicing, how to progress through the game, how to analyze videos. The best skill you can develop is learning how to learn. From there you can develop any skill.
Solid thanks!! I'd never heard of it so I'll dig in soon. Appreciate the lead

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
My advice is watch top players playing your character and analyze their gameplay and compare them to your play. Also being new to melee focus on fundamentals and execution.

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Being new to melee if you get bodied shake it off ask what you did wrong and adapt.

Jamsu

Smash Rookie
Samus is easily be bodied by marth, sheik and falcon, so it would be a good idea to find somebody to practice those matchups with.

up-b oos is really really super useful in a lot of shield pressure situations or when your opponent is above you.

Raysam

Smash Rookie
Yeah plup and duck are my guys... so crazy how skilled they are with Samus even though plup is maining Sheik and Fox mostly now still awesome when he whips out the fembot.

Thanks for your advice.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Well, everyone learns at a different pace, and in different ways. Definitely watch a lot of gameplay to pick up on different staple combos and tactics, and make sure to practice as much as possible, preferably with a partner since practicing solo can cause bad habits.

Also, it's a good idea to stick with just one or two characters for now (maybe a third to just mess around with), focusing primarily on one. That way, not only will you get a better feel for your character, you'll get a better feel for Melee in general much faster.

Top Bottom