• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Absent things on the 3DS version

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
This is one of the things I'm worried about. I'm not worried about the roster or the number of stages, I'm worried about the modes. I ended up playing things like Home-Run contest a lot, and there are 4GB (and up to 8GB) cartridges out there, but I'm afraid of modes like that not being on the 3DS version.
Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna be optimistic and wait for all the modes in the 3DS version, but maybe modes like multi-man brawl aren't fit for the 3DS. If such thing happens, I just hope they get replaced, but I'd like to know what others think. :)

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I would not worry too much about things like Home-Run and Break The Targets leaving, some other threads here have stated the capabilities of the 3DS and surprisingly it can handle more then you would imagine.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
A 3DS cartridge can hold 8 gigs. Brawl was 7 gigs. Brawl was also apparently horribly compressed, and like half of the space was taken up by SSE and SSE cutscenes, and Sakurai already confirmed we won't be getting another SSE like single player.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
A 3DS cartridge can hold 8 gigs. Brawl was 7 gigs. Brawl was also apparently horribly compressed, and like half of the space was taken up by SSE and SSE cutscenes, and Sakurai already confirmed we won't be getting another SSE like single player.
Wow, I didn't know that Brawl was so flawed in storage. Well, I didn't know I was afraid of such a silly thing, you two have just raised my morale. Knowing this, now I want twice the number of events, and more and more modes.
Hey, speaking of which, do you think the 3DS version will have (online, wi-fi) co-op events?. I would be surprised if the 3DS version has co-op events since this one is supposed to be a personal experience, but I also would have a problem if Co-op events are in, but as a local multiplayer thing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much. From what I've heard, the way things were stored in Brawl was done in a really poor manner. And I believe Sakurai confirmed that he is trying his best to give both versions an as full experience as possible. Not to mention the lack of another SSE that ate up a lot of the space withing Brawl's disk etc. The 3DS version will be fine.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I wouldn't worry if I were you. The 3DS cartridge will be able to hold enough space. The only worry to me is how I will adjust without a second stick. Since I am getting the XL, the CPP might be too big.
Wow, I didn't know that Brawl was so flawed in storage. Well, I didn't know I was afraid of such a silly thing, you two have just raised my morale. Knowing this, now I want twice the number of events, and more and more modes.
Hey, speaking of which, do you think the 3DS version will have (online, wi-fi) co-op events?. I would be surprised if the 3DS version has co-op events since this one is supposed to be a personal experience, but I also would have a problem if Co-op events are in, but as a local multiplayer thing.
I am pretty sure it will have that. When Sakurai said it was a more personal experience, I think it was just because of the fact that you can't have two people on 3DS. And Co-op events might be a friends only type of thing where you can only play with people who you exchanged friend codes with.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
I wouldn't worry if I were you. The 3DS cartridge will be able to hold enough space. The only worry to me is how I will adjust without a second stick. Since I am getting the XL, the CPP might be too big.

I am pretty sure it will have that. When Sakurai said it was a more personal experience, I think it was just because of the fact that you can't have two people on 3DS. And Co-op events might be a friends only type of thing where you can only play with people who you exchanged friend codes with.
If it ends up being with Friend Codes, I'll be really happy. I'd literally have to go to the other side of my city to find someone to do the events if they're local multiplayer only.
At least the CPP XL has a better grip. By now, I got the regular 3DS and no CPP, so I was also wondering how to quicksmash. I hope the game has the option to assign a button + circle pad to quicksmash.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
If it ends up being with Friend Codes, I'll be really happy. I'd literally have to go to the other side of my city to find someone to do the events if they're local multiplayer only.
At least the CPP XL has a better grip. By now, I got the regular 3DS and no CPP, so I was also wondering how to quicksmash. I hope the game has the option to assign a button + circle pad to quicksmash.
You know, if I wasn't so in love with taunts, I would do the same. But it all depends on if Sakurai makes the game CPP compatible.Kid Icarus Uprising (it would have been amazing with a CPP) didn't let you use it, so I'm a little skeptical, on whether or not it will be compatible.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
People peop[le, it is also possible that they will do a C-Stick like featur via the touch pad. There is a reason a DS and 3DS has 2 screens ya know, it ain't just for decor.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
You know, if I wasn't so in love with taunts, I would do the same. But it all depends on if Sakurai makes the game CPP compatible.Kid Icarus Uprising (it would have been amazing with a CPP) didn't let you use it, so I'm a little skeptical, on whether or not it will be compatible.
Taunts would still be the D-pad, I was think more about CP + B button (For example). I would never leave taunts behind. Also, I think the CPP was used in KI:U as a movement alternative for lefties, didn't it. I don't know, the CPP for controlling the cursor in air battles could have been great, but in ground battles...

People peop[le, it is also possible that they will do a C-Stick like featur via the touch pad. There is a reason a DS and 3DS has 2 screens ya know, it ain't just for decor.
Well, yeah, that would also be a possibility, but that wouldn't be as fast as button pressing IMO. I'll be happy with whatever method they give us, but for me, CP+B would be a good alternative for someone that doesn't have the CPP (Me). I just know that quicksmash can't be left out the 3DS version.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409

Me too, considering the publisher releasing Smash is the same one that jammed the entire Super Mario 64 game into roughly 25 MB of space.

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
I just hope that the 3DS version will get a good wifi mode! Make it happen NINTENDO !!!

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
with all the stuff the 3DS can do I'm sure it will be fine I'm glad there's no SSE because that was just all just a waist of memory to me but the only thing I really hope is that the wi-fi is good and not laggy

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
The 3ds NEEDS good wifi to be playable, but I miss SSE. I wish they worked on it more but I understand that would spread development thin.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Eh, Don't worry about the size of things. Multi-man brawl may be a problem... If you play as Ice Climbers. Maybe Sakurai will leave them out.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
He already said he's having trouble with them. But I'm sure he'll keep them in since they were in both Melee and Brawl. He can probably figure something out.
I know he's having trouble putting in Ice Climbers and yes I believe he'll figure something out but I don't want them cut T-T

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
He already said he's having trouble with them. But I'm sure he'll keep them in since they were in both Melee and Brawl. He can probably figure something out.
I imagine they aren't the only one giving him trouble. Transforming characters, Olimar & Pikmin, etc. probably are slightly troublesome.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
I would not be worried by that. I'm sure Sakurai said he's having troubles wih IC because of the early in developing they were. Like most people said, Sakurai can figure something out.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Every time a problem comes up everyones expectations fluctuates, sighhhh.

We should rely on our developers that something goes well instead of hoping for the worst.

Of course, things may not always work out.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I know people say Sakurai stated the rosters would be identical, but I remember him saying "NEARLY" identical. Which is why I think that some characters will be exclusives. But not in the way as an original character isn't in there and is replaced with another original character. I'm talking clones/ Luigified characters.

For instance, since everybody seems so bent on Toon Link being out because of the 3DS stage, why not do Young Link for 3DS and Toon Link for Wii U? They can just have a few different moves and change out the same exact spot on the roster, and Young Link has been more relevant to the handheld recently than Toon Link has. With remakes of their games going to alternate consoles, I think it's probably an option.

Also, has nobody noticed Villager, Olimar and Wii Fit Trainer have NO 3DS pictures yet? I have a good feeling about Villager and Olimar being on it, but in all honesty why would Wii Fit Trainer be on it? This isn't a "OH, Mr. Game & Watch has to be 3DS-exclusive because he's only been on handheld games, so I guess you also want Chrom as a 3DS exclusive too? MYEIEH!". NO. Wii Fit Trainer literally has zero relevance to the handhelds. Unlike some of these claims exclusives won't happen ("Pokemon and Kirby started on handhelds so your argument is invalid"), characters can be relevant to both home and handheld consoles. Olimar is considered an all-star veteran, and I think that starter veterans will always be in the game, no matter what. Plus, he has/was supposed to make at least 2 cameos on handhelds. Villager do I need to explain? But Wii Fit Trainer has never been on a "Game Boy" or "DS" system. So I think that a character that is handheld-centric will appear in her roster spot instead. Ideas (besides the trollish Tetris Block and Nintendog) pass my mind at this moment, although I remember somebody mentioning Barbara the Bat being Wii Fit Trainer's handheld counterpart...

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I know people say Sakurai stated the rosters would be identical, but I remember him saying "NEARLY" identical. Which is why I think that some characters will be exclusives. But not in the way as an original character isn't in there and is replaced with another original character. I'm talking clones/ Luigified characters.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine...s-super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds-differences/

"Fundamentally we're going to have the same characters on both systems. If there was a character you couldn't play on Wii U but you could play on 3DS, or vice versa, that's rough for consumers. So we want players to be able to have the same character experiences on both devices."

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
http://www.officialnintendomagazine...s-super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds-differences/

"Fundamentally we're going to have the same characters on both systems. If there was a character you couldn't play on Wii U but you could play on 3DS, or vice versa, that's rough for consumers. So we want players to be able to have the same character experiences on both devices."

True. However, saying that the roster will "essentially" have the same characters doesn't mean there's some variation. For instance, Toon Link and Young Link share many of the same moves, the only differences being their appearance and the execution of a few moves (Young Link uses the Megaton Hammer, Toon Link uses the Skull Hammer). Just re-skinned, if you will, to fit the system better. Of course, an easy solution is to add the other as an alternate with re-voicing and a re-skin of weapons and the character.

Hey, it's just a theory. A GAME THEORY.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
He said that they are both going to be the exact same because if certain characters are in one version but not the other then it wouldn't be fair to those who can only buy one of the versions, especially when the character they like is in the other. Even if said character has a different design but essentially does the same thing.

There are no hidden meanings within that statement. It means exactly what he said, the roster will be exactly the same in both versions.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You don't need to worry, just look at the bottom left corner in these two images.

Both Wii Fit Trainer and Villager are advertised for both the Wii U and 3DS version of Smash Bros. I see no reason why Sakurai would advertise certain characters for a version of a game when they aren't even going to be playable in it. That would be false advertising.

I guess he just isn't ready yet to show them and Olimar for some reason. I'm sure they will be shown eventually.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Just because there's no screenshots for them doesn't mean they won't be in plus Sakurai already Stated that ALL characters will be in the same version so if we got Young Link back (I hope D:) he'd be in both versions same with Toon Link and vice versa...........I think people already said the 3DS version is behind development but I don't care all I want is to play the game when I get my new 3DS XL!

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
what worries me is no screenshots asides from megaman of the newcomers on 3ds

and none of olimar if i recall right

Wii U is probably just further along than the 3DS is. And for all we know, Sakurai might just want to show off the newcomers on Wii U simply because of HD graphics.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
Wii U is probably just further along than the 3DS is. And for all we know, Sakurai might just want to show off the newcomers on Wii U simply because of HD graphics.
This is the most probable thing. I don't know a thing about differences between developing for the 3DS and developing for the WiiU, but once they've done a character on the WiiU it should be relatively easy to port them to the 3DS, right?. The coding should be almost the same, and the renders and sprites should also be easier to make.
So far, we've only seen new stages, because that's something they really got to make now, the characters can all be ported at once near the release of the game, that, and Sakurai knows we're not worried about a character being on the 3DS or not because of him already having stated that all the characters will be the same on both versions.
All the characters are going to be the same, but I wonder, will the color swaps/costumes be the same?. It'd be really nice if each versions gets at least one exclusive color swap or costume. :p

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
This is the most probable thing. I don't know a thing about differences between developing for the 3DS and developing for the WiiU, but once they've done a character on the WiiU it should be relatively easy to port them to the 3DS, right?. The coding should be almost the same, and the renders and sprites should also be easier to make.
So far, we've only seen new stages, because that's something they really got to make now, the characters can all be ported at once near the release of the game, that, and Sakurai knows we're not worried about a character being on the 3DS or not because of him already having stated that all the characters will be the same on both versions.
All the characters are going to be the same, but I wonder, will the color swaps/costumes be the same?. It'd be really nice if each versions gets at least one exclusive color swap or costume. :p
lol, Yea it should be easy to code to the 3DS version I'm only hoping if Sakurai will make a another younger link....I mean he could use the Link Between World Link as a younger Link and change his moveset like his >B could be Fire Rod but I'll make a thread about that ;) but I really wonder of how this game game will be very different because we won't be having clones o: but we still need the original 12 announced xD

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Ahh but if you look at the models they are not the same. They have to tone down textures (To make them look better on a small screen as well) and make the models lower poly but if you look at the models they are different. Look at mario's gloves. The 3ds one they are larger and less details so you can make it out better on the small screen compared to the wiiu's model which have smaller hands but more detailed. I believe Sakurai mentioned this on a french interview if you want to look it up. Coding would be slightly different, the engines are probably similar, but the HD shaders/lighting/etc. is more complex.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Ahh but if you look at the models they are not the same. They have to tone down textures (To make them look better on a small screen as well) and make the models lower poly but if you look at the models they are different. Look at mario's gloves. The 3ds one they are larger and less details so you can make it out better on the small screen compared to the wiiu's model which have smaller hands but more detailed. I believe Sakurai mentioned this on a french interview if you want to look it up. Coding would be slightly different, the engines are probably similar, but the HD shaders/lighting/etc. is more complex.
wow completly forgot about shading and all that other stuff O: plus 3DS has outlines and they do look more darker than the Wii U version.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
wow completly forgot about shading and all that other stuff O: plus 3DS has outlines and they do look more darker than the Wii U version.
The darker aspect is probably again so they look better on a smaller screen. A lot of the differences will be aesthetics is seems like.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
meh I just wish these characters could come out faster D: sadly Sakurai is always busy and has RSI in his arm which sucks D:

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
Hey, I wasn't saying that it was thaaat easy. I know about the differences between the WiiU and 3DS renders already, but both the coding and rendering should be easy with something as a reference (Being the WiiU, a more complex platform, this reference). I must be honest though, I didn't even think about the shading/lighting, but I believe this would also be easier with a reference point. To make myself clear, it's not like you could just put the WiiU renders through some sort of "filter" and magically you have a 3DS render, but you certainly put some things in my mind.

lol, Yea it should be easy to code to the 3DS version I'm only hoping if Sakurai will make a another younger link....I mean he could use the Link Between World Link as a younger Link and change his moveset like his >B could be Fire Rod but I'll make a thread about that ;) but I really wonder of how this game game will be very different because we won't be having clones o: but we still need the original 12 announced xD
An own-moveset Link needs to happen. I'd stick with a Toon Link with more of a "Hero of Winds" nature, but the ALBW Link should also have some nice moves. The game's gonna be pretty similar to ALTTP, and with all the Magic Items the game had, this Link should also have a good moveset.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Hey, I wasn't saying that it was thaaat easy. I know about the differences between the WiiU and 3DS renders already, but both the coding and rendering should be easy with something as a reference (Being the WiiU, a more complex platform, this reference). I must be honest though, I didn't even think about the shading/lighting, but I believe this would also be easier with a reference point. To make myself clear, it's not like you could just put the WiiU renders through some sort of "filter" and magically you have a 3DS render, but you certainly put some things in my mind.
Ahh yeah it probably is easier because they don't have to re discuss the physics of each attack/range/damage/gravity level etc. But modeling and some (if not all or none) animations would have to be redone with the different proportioned models and the effects and textures. The lighting, shaders, and environmental effects are much more complex than the 3ds. Shadows appear to be more dynamic and self modeling and more in depth. The 3ds is a bit more basic so thats one easier thing. Storage size for the 3ds is not too much of a problem unless they screw it up like they did with brawl. Overall its not as hard as making two games from scratch but it is not a port over either. So yeah it should be easier for them.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
If Sakurai isn't able to fix the IC problem, I don't think he will leave them out, but he might only put one IC for 3DS and two IC's for the Wii U. Either way, I believe Sakurai will be able to fix it.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
If Sakurai isn't able to fix the IC problem, I don't think he will leave them out, but he might only put one IC for 3DS and two IC's for the Wii U. Either way, I believe Sakurai will be able to fix it.
Such a thing shouldn't happen, and we've already been told it won't happen. The roster will be the same. It's not like in WiiU that character is Ice Climbers, and in the 3DS it'll be Popo/Nana. Either fixing the IC problem, or Popo/Nana on both versions. But one thing's for sure, leaving the IC out totally, isn't a option, it doesn't even deserve to be considered.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Such a thing shouldn't happen, and we've already been told it won't happen. The roster will be the same. It's not like in WiiU that character is Ice Climbers, and in the 3DS it'll be Popo/Nana. Either fixing the IC problem, or Popo/Nana on both versions. But one thing's for sure, leaving the IC out totally, isn't a option, it doesn't even deserve to be considered.
leaving the IC out isn't option they've bee in 2 games and people love em so they need to stay in. I hope Sakurai finds out the problem and is able to fix it so I don't have to be worrying that there not gonna be in this game. But I have my fingers crossed and is hoping for Sakurai to find out this problem so they can stay in. :popo: how can u not love them!

Top Bottom