• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About the cvg.co.uk review for brawl

noobpota2

Smash Apprentice
First of all for people who haven't read the review the link is below

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=183358

Now personally this is a horrible review, its critisisms(if thats how you spell it) are incredibly picky and fails to somewhat see what the games about.I'm not saying its a bad review from a fanboy point of view where i'm saying "The scores too low!,re-review it this games a 50/10, you are teh biased" I'm saying that the actual review is stupid.

One of the complaints is "It's the lack of sizeable or 'concept' arenas that irks - like Melee's rotating Brinstar Depths or the Big Blue. In fact, Sakurai's inclusion of such original Melee stages only draws your attention to the lack of innovation elsewhere". The lack of concept in the arenas is clear with stages like warioware,pictochat,spear pillar,electroplankton both metroid stages etc(sarcasm), so the fact that they are trying to convey that theres no original ideas in the stages is a lackluster one at best and besides, big blue and brinstar depths were 2 of the ****tiest stages in melee.

Then they complain about the characters "Signature moves aside, it's hard to see where Dedede differs from Bowser, and if Link, Ike and Pit weren't programmed by the same guy, we'll eat our sword flurry". This is an incredibly picky complaint. 'how dedede differs from bowser'?, well 1. dedede is a giant penguin who can float, 2. he has a giant hammer and 3. they have completely different play mechanics. The only thing they have in common is that they are both heavy, thats it.Thier complaints is like saying that"oh all the characters are too similar because they are all living things and can move". Its the same with the link,ike and pit complaint, they all have swords thats it, link can't fly,pit isn't very powerful, ike dosn't have a hat or gay angel wings or can fire bows,throw bombs and boomerangs.

Its understandable why they have to be a little picky with a game of this calibur, but where they go down to the roots of the wieght and what the characters are holding,and basically the origin of these characters, they take it too far. And as for the complaint that the game could do something new...what. They didn't justify what could make it better, no "they could add new modes" or anything like that.

I'm sorry for dragging this on abit but this review is bad for many reasons, most of which i have just mentioned.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
"Signature moves aside, it's hard to see where Dedede differs from Bowser, and if Link, Ike and Pit weren't programmed by the same guy, we'll eat our sword flurry".

He is right, they were all designed by Sakurai himself. (He said at GDC that he went frame by frame designing all moves for all characters)

But seriously, the only way to complain about clones is spoiling secret charcters. The reviewer couldn't do that, so instead, he just wrote that bulls#!t.

But saying that Brawl original stages lack innovation is just proving you are stupid. WarioWare here says "hi".

noobpota2

Smash Apprentice
"Signature moves aside, it's hard to see where Dedede differs from Bowser, and if Link, Ike and Pit weren't programmed by the same guy, we'll eat our sword flurry".

He is right, they were all designed by Sakurai himself. (He said at GDC that he went frame by frame designing all moves for all characters)

But seriously, the only way to complain about clones is spoiling secret charcters. The reviewer couldn't do that, so instead, he just wrote that bulls#!t.

But saying that Brawl original stages lack innovation is just proving you are stupid. WarioWare here says "hi".
I didn't say they lacked inovation, i said there better

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
If this review offended you in any way, you really should rethink your life.

The game, after all that 'bashing,' still got a 9.3! It's still a great game. Just look at about every other review for Brawl. Perfect 10 everywhere.

noobpota2

Smash Apprentice
If this review offended you in any way, you really should rethink your life.

The game, after all that 'bashing,' still got a 9.3! It's still a great game. Just look at about every other review for Brawl. Perfect 10 everywhere.
I'm not saying it offended me (thats taking it way too far), and i agree with a 93% score i just think that the 'problems' they had with the game were a bit too picky. Like i said i'm not being a **** about it and say re-review the game or anything

Grodus5

Smash Rookie
I think the review was pretty negative for such a good score. Thats just my opinion on it. It was a crap review though, I'm not offended by it, but it was just a lame review.

Valgarus

Smash Rookie
I agree with Grodus, the actual review itself seemed much harsher than the score they gave it. It was very strange to read the whole thing and expect an 8.5 and see a 9.3.

I think they were just critical in order to point out the few faults that they did see. Overall I didn't really have an issue with this review.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
The review was just criticizing the game a lot to the point they would give it an 8 or 7 but since so many people like it they just had to give it a 9.3 even though they really wanted to give it a low score
I mean look at their halo 3 and bioschock reviews, brawl is just as good as those games or even better.
Still I wasn't offended by this it just seemed to me plain stupid.

Top Bottom