• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About music composers...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There's no denying that one of the strongest points in the Smash Bros. series is the music.

We all like to hear the classic tunes from past games rearranged or even in its original version during gameplay.

For the first two games, music arrangement was done by HAL Laboratory's sound team.

And for Brawl we had more than 30 composers to arrange many music from past Nintendo games, from the oldest to the then new games, and among those were big names like Koji Kondo (Mario and Zelda), Motoi Sakuraba (Golden Sun, some Tales games), Hirokazu Tanaka (Metroid, Dr. Mario and many NES titles), Yasunori Mitsuda (of Chrono Trigger fame) and Shogo Sakai (Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mother 3). And special mention goes to Nobuo Uematsu for composing the main theme of Brawl.

Well, this isn't news for anyone, but I thought that a look at the past is good when answering the question I want to ask:

Which composer(s) would you like to hear this time around?

of course this doesn't exclude any who has done work on Smash before...

personally, I would like that Motoi Sakuraba returned, because I like his style of music and he's a very talented musician. I was expecting that Nobuo Uematsu would arrange some Nintendo songs in Brawl, which unfortunately didn't happen, because it would be nice if it happened this time. Well, thinking again, it would really be awesome if most (if not all) of Brawl's arrangers returned to work in Smash again.

Another favorite composer of mine is Yuka Tsujiyoko, she composed most of the Fire Emblem games, that have really great music. of course, I would like to hear some new composers as well, such as Mahito Yokota, who did the Super Mario Galaxy sountrack along with Koji Kondo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In addition to the ones you named (because they're all great), I'd really like to see more from Yoko Shimomura. I think she had a few tracks in Brawl, but anyone who composed Super Mario RPG, Kingdom Hearts, and Xenoblade deserves much, much more.

And perhaps a little unrealistic, but I'd also love to see David Wise and Grant Kirkhope contribute. Rare games had omgtoogood soundtracks. :awesome:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In addition to the ones you named (because they're all great), I'd really like to see more from Yoko Shimomura. I think she had a few tracks in Brawl, but anyone who composed Super Mario RPG, Kingdom Hearts, and Xenoblade deserves much, much more.

And perhaps a little unrealistic, but I'd also love to see David Wise and Grant Kirkhope contribute. Rare games had omgtoogood soundtracks. :awesome:
Shimomura also did Mario & Luigi RPGs too, she remixed her own Gritzy Desert track for Brawl. and her Tetris Type A remix is just great. Brawl had many talented musicians and has one of the greatest game soundtracks ever, in my opinion.

about David Wise and Rare... it's very unlikely, unfortunately... who knows... perhaps if Rare hadn't been sold, we could have had their contribution to Brawl, but that... we will never know.

Life

Smash Hero
Me... lol I wish. Maybe by the time like Smash 6 comes out.

While I'm here, namedropping Mike Morasky. He does Valve games and other random stuff.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Shimomura also did Mario & Luigi RPGs too, she remixed her own Gritzy Desert track for Brawl. and her Tetris Type A remix is just great. Brawl had many talented musicians and has one of the greatest game soundtracks ever, in my opinion.
Yeah, she also did King Dedede's theme (:awesome:), and other games, but I just listed the ones that had my favourite soundtracks.

Three songs isn't enough for her. :glare:

about David Wise and Rare... it's very unlikely, unfortunately... who knows... perhaps if Rare hadn't been sold, we could have had their contribution to Brawl, but that... we will never know.
I'm not going to pretend there's anything more than a minuscule chance, but as both Wise and Kirkhope left Rare (along with pretty much everyone else, lol) there's just enough of a chance for me to cling to it. :laugh:

Though if the developer that made DKCR can't even hire the composer who worked on the old DK games, then who knows. :urg:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
My hopes wouldn't even be hopes, so much as dreams.

Daisuke Ishiwatari
Ryuji Sasai

aaaand

Hitoshi Sakimoto

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Daisuke Ishiwatari would be absolute win. Michiru Yamane would be another good pick too.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My hopes wouldn't even be hopes, so much as dreams.

Daisuke Ishiwatari
Ryuji Sasai

aaaand

Hitoshi Sakimoto
I've heard some Guilty Gear music before, and I really like Ishiwatari's music too.
if he and Sakuraba collaborated for the same work, it would be really good. most of these musicians are very good at what they do... shame that most people don't know about them.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd say his BlazBlue work is just as good with way more range in tone and instruments.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Guilty Gear... I really liked the faster songs.
BlazBlue... I really liked the slower songs.

As for composers, this guy seems awfully qualified to do more than 1 song this time around...

After that, I can't think of any composer who isn't previously involved in smash bros (but given how many good composers there are in Japan, it seems impossible to go wrong). Maybe some more great video game composers from the 90's (specifically the folks who worked at Rare at that time) would be nice... :)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Guilty Gear... I really liked the faster songs.
BlazBlue... I really liked the slower songs.

As for composers, this guy seems awfully qualified to do more than 1 song this time around...

After that, I can't think of any composer who isn't previously involved in smash bros (but given how many good composers there are in Japan, it seems impossible to go wrong). Maybe some more great video game composers from the 90's (specifically the folks who worked at Rare at that time) would be nice... :)
Gotta agree with that. Japan has lots of good composers. But there are also good musicians in the west too, like David wise and those at blizzard.

:phone:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ I don't know about Blizzard having particularly good music, but boy oh boy, I love me David Wise (along with the rest of the former Rare composers). What Rare and the Rare composers did with all their games' music from Battletoads to Conker's Bad Fur Day was nothing short of incredible! So many good songs, so... much... AWESOMES!!!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Steve Burke's work on Kameo was nothing short of amazing as well.

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
I would like if they just used the original unedited main tunes. Some like Zelda's is aged so they could use some later mix, but the likes of Donkey Kong, Mario, Pokemon and Metroid could easily use original tunes. IMO the nostalgy bonus is far more important than having something new in a game like this.

Top Bottom