• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About lucario...

BbqCombo

Smash Apprentice
Would all you TLs mind telling me what you think of lucario?

stuff like : What place he might be on an accurate tier list(if you're going to say tiers are4queers then plz just dont post ._.)

What strategies you use on him.

Any faults or repeated punishable patterns you see in most lucario players.

Stuff like that if its too much to ask :ohwell:

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Pressure Lucario with projectiles. He outranges a lot of your attacks with his, so I wouldn't focus on outranging with your sword. Use projectiles, make him come to you, and then punish. Keep him in the air, where he doesn't seem to be too amazing, and can't outrange you in the air. Force him to airdodge, and then punish with a uair by following his DI. Careful when approaching on the ground, as I said before, he outranges you. Make sure to **** his recovery with fairs, bombs...anything really lol, his recovery is very predictable.

That's all I got for now.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
lucario is a bit tough... his fsmash times me wrong spot dodging, im not used to his dair, hes quick in the air, is heavy and aura sphere owns... id fight him by his weaknesses... spam projectiles, keep a distance, stand still so shield (not r button) protects me from his projectiles, bair, nair a lot, try to never be below him, and edgehog him like a jerk would do... also, gimping is best way to kill him

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I'm a Lucario main, so I can tell you what you need to know about him.

For starters, Lucario is a deceptive character. He doesn't look all that impressive outwardly, but once you really look into him, you start to understand that he's actually incredibly effective.

Lucario has some of the best defensive play options in the game, and can change to offense without losing his rhythm. What's more, he has some of THE most amazing priority as far as disjointed attacks are concerned, since all his hitboxes linger for much longer than sword users not called Ike.

KO power is not a problem, since at around 100%, he has more than average KO power on top of his already excellent frame times and defensive options.

Also, a good Lucario player is harder to edgeguard than you'd think. On many stages, they can wall cling and then immediately walljump back onto the stage while dodging or attacking. They can use reverse-double team to get past gimping attempts using projectiles, and they can throw aura spheres at you while you're waiting at the ledge for them to throw off your timing.

He also has incredible edgeguarding ability himself, thanks to his Fair and Dair having such awesome lingering hitboxes, and also the fact that his throws have very little ending lag, allowing him to pursue and gimp very effectively over the edge.

I believe Lucario should be mid high tier or bottom top tier, but since he's an unpopular character, not many people attempt to play him effectively or understand how his strengths work. For me, I find him to be a top-tier killer. He has 0>80% chain grabs on Snake and Wolf, has hitboxes that beat Marth, Metaknight and Pit, and has the defensive options to match evenly with ROB and Toon Link.

As a Toon Link against Lucario match up, I'd suggest not using your bombs or arrows TOO much, since a good Lucario player will start using double team to advance on you or even attack you in the case of the boomerang. Don't try to hit him with up smash when he's above you, since his Dair beats that. Not sure about up air though.

Lucario can't chain grab Toon Link and generally Toon Link beats him in the air, especially backwards. Aside from that, he outranges and outprioritises you with all his basic aura attacks. Don't think you can punish him when he does an Fsmash or a Down Smash, you'd be surprised at how small the ending lag is.

I'll second what everyone else here has said and tell you to focus on his one obvious weakness: his recovery. Don't use Fair to edgeguard him, use Nair or Bair, since he'll just Fair you as he's coming back if he sees you trying to use Fair. If he gets below the stage, follow him down quickly and try to knock him off before he can edgehop back on, but don't go overboard or you won't be able to recover yourself.

Also: down smash slips past a lot of Lucario's ground hitboxes. It's faster than his Ftilt and has about the same range, and it goes underneath his jabs.

And yeah, stand still to block his aura spheres rather than blocking them with a shield.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
Would all you TLs mind telling me what you think of lucario?

stuff like : What place he might be on an accurate tier list(if you're going to say tiers are4queers then plz just dont post ._.)

What strategies you use on him.

Any faults or repeated punishable patterns you see in most lucario players.

Stuff like that if its too much to ask :ohwell:
TIERSARE4QUEERS! :p

Lucario excels at short range combat, so I like keeping some distance until I can come in with some nairs or bairs and punish. The Lucarios I've played against really dislike my WTF boomerangs and arrow spam, so they don't spam aura spheres as much as a Lucario that 'plays by the book'.

BbqCombo

Smash Apprentice
I see, thx for the info guys, maybe il give toon link another try =P i was just wondering about toon link since my brother might start using him to counterpick my lucario with projectiles but im learining to perfect shield since hes a pit arrow spammer . Thx again

Btw NESSBOUNDER, im sry about ness =( once i heard about him being chaingrabbable i was sad =( he was my fave char to use. I like using his Nair (THE NESSCOPTER :O)

Top Bottom