• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About Amiibos...

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I totally skipped Amiibos on the WiiU game (mostly because I thought they would be something irrelevant, or a way to make me waste more money in a feature that could be free in the game... - and I still think this is kind of true, but anyway...). I'm thinking about them again now with the release of Smash Ultimate, as another way to help me to enjoy the game the most I can.

But I'm still not entirely sold in the value of them. I know I can train them, fight them, and put them to fight with another Amiibos, or play together with my Amiibo against my friends and their Amiibos.

This looks cool enough, but I'm worried that if this thing of "level up" an Amiibo has really any kind of strategy, or if it's just a matter of time for them to level up and be stronger. And how different it is to fight an Amiibo than fight an NPC with a high difficult level. Is there any differences on their AI and complexity about how they fight?

Also, I suppose that I should not buy an Amiibo as the same as my main character, cause actually, I would like to use my main character to train and fight against my Amiibo, and if I buy my main character as my Amiibo, it woldnt be so fun to play or make a team of 2 same characters, I would need to buy an Amiibo as a character I like to fight against or together as a team, right?

Can anyone provide any information about how cool is to train an Amiibo, and how different is to fight Amiibos instead of simple NPCs, and how cool is the entire experience with Amiibos?

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Any amiibo can help you get better, whether or not they're your main.

As amiibo level up, they get better. 1 is trash, 50 is godly. They pick up skills from whoever they face, and they continue to pick things up even after level 50. They get more experienced by playing against other amiibo.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Amiibos have been improved in this game. With the normal CPUs becoming smarter, so does the amiibos as well as giving them spirits can change they're personality. So that alone adds more variety into how amiibos fight compared to the last game. Also, your amiibos can taunt. They could do this in 4 but eventually stop once high enough level. Here, 5 of my amiibos I've trained all taunt even at level 50 and even taunt after knocking you away (What I mean by this is that they taunt even if they haven't just killed you) and some taunt multiple times at once even if you're still on stage.

So they are improved quite a bit and they'll play more like human beings. They can give you a variety by their distinct play styles. However, the only way to change their personalities is by spirits so unfortunately you'd have to change their stats. They seem to pick up some habits from you or habits on their own based on if what they're doing is successful enough to hurt you.

An important thing to note is that if you don't want the amiibo to learn, you can actually turn that off which is good if you think your amiibo is perfect the way they are.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Amiibos have been improved in this game. With the normal CPUs becoming smarter, so does the amiibos as well as giving them spirits can change they're personality. So that alone adds more variety into how amiibos fight compared to the last game. Also, your amiibos can taunt. They could do this in 4 but eventually stop once high enough level. Here, 5 of my amiibos I've trained all taunt even at level 50 and even taunt after knocking you away (What I mean by this is that they taunt even if they haven't just killed you) and some taunt multiple times at once even if you're still on stage.

So they are improved quite a bit and they'll play more like human beings. They can give you a variety by their distinct play styles. However, the only way to change their personalities is by spirits so unfortunately you'd have to change their stats. They seem to pick up some habits from you or habits on their own based on if what they're doing is successful enough to hurt you.

An important thing to note is that if you don't want the amiibo to learn, you can actually turn that off which is good if you think your amiibo is perfect the way they are.
Are trained amiibos with high levels more hard to defeat than the maximum difficult of a generic NPC character?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Are trained amiibos with high levels more hard to defeat than the maximum difficult of a generic NPC character?
"Harder" isn't the right way to put it. They're more relevant.

When you fight against a long-trained amiibo, you're actually fighting against, essentially, an AI trained to fight like a human. The normal CPUs do things that actual human beings would never do, and you can develop some bad habits by fighting against them. Fighting against an amiibo is a more authentic experience if you have no one to actually play against.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Generally yes. But it depends on how they're trained. I'll say this though, it definitely depends more on how skilled the players are. Basically some player who isn't very good who trains his/her amiibo to level 50 would lose to the other level 50 amiibo who was trained by at least a competent player. It is possible for a level 50 amiibo to be weaker than some of the cpu levels.

Basically the amiibo has the potential to be better than a level 9 cpu as long as the player is skillful enough to train it to do so. Given that amiibos play more human like would benefit more than solely fighting a cpu. Again, the new personalities they can get also makes the experience better as if they were actual people.

PF9

Smash Lord
I train my Amiibos by teaming up with them (generally as the same character that my FP is) against a Level 5 CPU (also the same character that my FP is). By having all three fighters be the same character, I feel my FPs can learn the most.

Peptobislawl

Smash Rookie
Howwever, the only way to change their personalities is by spirits so unfortunately you'd have to change their stats.
I've just had my Inkling amiibo switch from Energetic to Agressive after some training so personality can be changed without spirits, though spirits let you directly change personality.
Are we sure the stat changes apply in matches with spirits turned off? Kinda sucks if they do.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I've just had my Inkling amiibo switch from Energetic to Agressive after some training so personality can be changed without spirits, though spirits let you directly change personality.
Are we sure the stat changes apply in matches with spirits turned off? Kinda sucks if they do.
Yeah I've figured that out once I started training one of my Kirbys so my mistake. And they definitely still do apply when spirits are off. I made my silver Mario "Metal Mario" with slow super armor and it still applies even when spirits are turned off.

Also fun fact I noticed, you can actually use amiibo in training mode, but I don't think you can save them once you get out of it. Still interesting to test out a fighter who plays different from a normal cpu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom