• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AAARRRRGGGGG! Spot dodging is totally killing me.

G3rain1

Smash Apprentice
I find it impossible to hit my brother with his insane spot dodging. Its like fighting a ghost. Its infuriating. How do you counter this? Please help.

pdk

Smash Lord
keep your distance (learn to space attacks as far as possible), try experimenting with dashdancing or empty jump-ins to trick him into spotdodging then grab afterward

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
yeah i have a real issue with a good spot dodger, i find try just becoming good at spot dodging yourself (even though im not) would work, then you can stand across from each other spot dodging and really wierd oout noobs watching

Giggidax

Smash Ace
if hes spotdodging all ur attacks then ur being too aggressive, hes reading when ur going to try and attack. be more unpredictable. unpredictability is a counter for spotdodge spammers. now go do some ownage!

G3rain1

Smash Apprentice
keep your distance (learn to space attacks as far as possible), try experimenting with dashdancing or empty jump-ins to trick him into spotdodging then grab afterward
Belive me I try that till I blue in the face, He just immediately does it again and again if necessary until I screw up and then he smashes me.

if hes spotdodging all ur attacks then ur being too aggressive, hes reading when ur going to try and attack. be more unpredictable. unpredictability is a counter for spot dodge spammers. now go do some ownage!
But he's not really spamming it. He doesn't do it when he doesn't need to. If I don't attack him when In the situations where he spot dodges I wont be attacking him at all.

And personally I don't think my play style is even remotely aggressive. He's far more aggressive than I am.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
im not saying that hes spotdodging randomly, im just saying if ur getting all ur attacks spotdodged, ur being too predictable. its good u arnt overly aggressive, even tho at sometimes its good to be aggressive (bombsoldier). i guess wat im trying to say is, learn to make openings. draw out the spotdodge and grab more. use hit and run tactics.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Try doing some attacks that have a longer hit duration, like a suffled sex kick, or Links up-b if you play him.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i have an idea that will DEFINITELY work. it will help with the spotdodge problem and ull just be better over all.

Choose Zelda> Hold A before ur stage loads up > Dsmash.

Razed

Smash Ace
i have an idea that will DEFINITELY work. it will help with the spotdodge problem and ull just be better over all.

Choose Zelda> Hold A before ur stage loads up > Dsmash.
That's WAY too complicated. Try picking peach and ignore the part about holding A =]

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Wait for his spot dodges. There's acualy a lot more vulnerability then invulnerability when spotdodging repeatedly. You should be able to easily grab him out of them long before a smash attack comes out.

As some people here have also said, if he spotdodges every attack you make, you're way too predictable. Try using fake approaches. Most characters can also jab/shine/grab after an L-canceled aerial really, really quickly (read: Marth, Shiek, space animals). Even Ganon can get his jab out after a shffled fair to catch someone comming out of a spotdodge if you time it right.

Attacks with long durations or attacks that come out in very quick succesion will quickly teach him not to spotdodge so much, too. Link's upB, any sexkick, repeated shffl to shines (Falco pillar, anyone?), Marth's nair, Bowser's upB, doubleshines (if you can do 5+ of them)...the list goes on. (EDIT: Peach and Sheik's dsmashes, yes, those too XD. Thank you Giggidax and Razed).

I know what you mean by it's annoying. Don't worry, there's a way around it.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
If you can't get your grab before he smashes you out of the spot dodge.. try......... lcanceling? lol

It might be helpful if we knew who you used.. I know that if your Marth then you can space Fairs and Dtilts.

G3rain1

Smash Apprentice
If you can't get your grab before he smashes you out of the spot dodge.. try......... lcanceling? lol

It might be helpful if we knew who you used.. I know that if your Marth then you can space Fairs and Dtilts.
Jiggs is my best and most frequently used character, but I sometimes use Link, Samus, Fox, Zelda(not Skeik), and DK on occasion.

Wait for his spot dodges. There's acualy a lot more vulnerability then invulnerability when spotdodging repeatedly. .
This is interesting. It seem the other way around to me. Could you expand on this?

As some people here have also said, if he spotdodges every attack you make, you're way too predictable. Try using fake approaches. Most characters can also jab/shine/grab after an L-canceled aerial really, really quickly (read: Marth, Shiek, space animals). Even Ganon can get his jab out after a shffled fair to catch someone comming out of a spotdodge if you time it right.
I do try to change things up all the time, but it never seams to make a difference. And Its not so much the fact that he dodges my attacks that is the problem its that hes able to come out of a spot dodge with a second move so d*** quickly, sometimes its a smash attack sometimes its a second spot dodge or a roll or what ever. I mean if he just did a spot dodge and then was vulnerable after wards I wouldn't have any problems. I can actually spot dodgem him almost as predictability its just that he always gets me coming out of it.

On The note about attacks with long durations. I can on occasion hit him with such attacks but the problem is most are really week and he'll just CC them.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
This is interesting. It seem the other way around to me. Could you expand on this?
well he wasnt exactly right...from mew2king's statistic list:

mew2king said:
Dodge Ratings - Here's a list I made of everyone's dodge ratings, statistically proven with frames counts on the frames of the dodge that you're ALWAYS invincible to ALL attacks. The number on the left half of the fraction is the amount of frames you're actually dodging (in other words, how many frames you're invincible and can't be harmed) while the number on the right half of the fraction is the total time that the dodge lasts. The percent of the dodge that you're ALWAYS invincible is written in a percent, and a ..... means it's a repeating decimal. Note: almost all of the dodges start on frame 2, so in other words, for most of the dodges when you start them, you can only be hit the FIRST frame of the dodge. Some characters, like Captain Falcon and Zelda, start their invincible part of the dodge on the 3rd frame, and Bowser starts his on the 4th frame. Note that for 99% of attacks, Zelda is invincible for the 2nd frame + (but certain explosion moves can hit her on the 3rd frame of the move so it still counts as starting it on the 3rd frame)

---Go here for more information about dodging: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=493089#post493089

63.6363.....% or 14/22 - Dr. Mario / Falco / Fox / Kirby / Link / Luigi / Mario / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik / Yoshi / Young Link

62.962962.....% or 17/27 - Ice Climbers / Marth / Ness / Peach / Roy

59.459459.....% or 22/37 - DK

59.375% or 19/32 - Ganondorf

56.25% or 18/32 - Captain Falcon / Zelda

54.054054.....% or 20/37 - Mewtwo

51.88888.....% or 14/27 - Jigglypuff

50% or 21/42 - Bowser

34.375% or 11/32 - Mr. Game and Watch

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
On The note about attacks with long durations. I can on occasion hit him with such attacks but the problem is most are really week and he'll just CC them.
Peach's d-smash will solve both the problem of his crouch cancelling, and about not hitting him when he's dodging.

If you don't like peach, just delay your attacks slightly.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Juke him with a wavedash or dash dance or something. Either that, or time an attack good, charge a smash, or grab at the right time. Shouldn't be too hard.

Pros don't spam dodges for a reason you know. Cuz it's not so effective.

Ultra Nova

Smash Apprentice
Charging a smash works pretty good as I have done this on my friend who's real dodge happy. It shouldn't be to hard to fake him out with a dash dance either.

Banks

Smash Hero
most people spot dodge at certain points based on knowledge of what you will do. for instance if you always just run up for a grab after a certain dash dance sequence, perhaps back and forth twice, then they will know to spot dodge it. what you have to do is expect the spot dodge and wait for it. Also idk if you even dash dance at all, but you might want to do it if you dont. if you dash dance in front of them, wait for the spot dodge and go in. Then they could spot dodge twice, but i wont go into that....>_>

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Spot dodging evades your attack yes but it also gives him lag meaning he doesn't have that much of a opertunity of countering you after he dodged it. You need to stop worrying about the spot dodging and start paying attantion at what he does after it, be it a attack or a roll to get away or a jump or whatever. Most of the time a spot dodge can only make them dodge but does not give them enough time to attack you after it. If you did a really laggy attack yeah then he can punish you on it but you shouldn't be throwing those around that easy noticable anyways :). After you punish him on his action after the dodge he is gonne be a lot more hesitant on doing the dodge and then you can trick him into dodging to early sometimes.

One thing you can do after he spot dodges and your free to move is either get out or just shield. If he tries to grab you can dodge that yourself. Or you can just wait to see what he does. If his attacks after the dodge are predictable then it shouldn't be to hard for you to punish him on that :). I'm not gonna go into more detail then that cause it's better for you to find that out yourself ^^.

Banks

Smash Hero
you need to use a move that lasts for more than one spot dodge if they spot dodge multiple times. people already said peach, but you could also use sheiks dsmash, or shine a couple times in place with fox or falco, anything that will catch them after the spot dodge or between that and the second if they wanna be gay and keep spot dodging.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
theres no reason to miss if you know whats coming... basically.. everyone said wait and grab... or you could just charge a smash... wait for it then release it once u see the spot dodge.

pdk

Smash Lord
if you're playing jiggs why not just hover in front of him as he dodges and throw out a dair midway through?

Banks

Smash Hero
or do the same thing to them and see how they like it, and if they beat your *** because of it...copy what he does.

Skler

Smash Master
Since you play jiggs just jump at him, watch him spotdodge and hit him during the lag of it with a rest. Rest comes out on like the first frame, so you CAN'T miss if you time it.

You could also just nair and if he always CCs do nair into rest. Basically what I'm trying to say is rest.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
You could try attacking like you normally do, except that make it so that you land in the middle of your airial. This way, even if he does dodge the attack, if you L-cancelled properly, you will be able to move before he does (thus, shield his counter attack or just use another attack yourself).

pdk

Smash Lord
Since you play jiggs just jump at him, watch him spotdodge and hit him during the lag of it with a rest. Rest comes out on like the first frame, so you CAN'T miss if you time it.

You could also just nair and if he always CCs do nair into rest. Basically what I'm trying to say is rest.
rest = no margin of error for timing either (it's only out for one frame)

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
I remember the good old days of Puff on the 64.

Dair -> Rest = Instapwnage

_On_Topic_Line_

Nair into rest should do the trick depending, of course, on the nature of the crouchcanceller in question.

Which begs the question: who does he use?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I remember the good old days of Puff on the 64.

Dair -> Rest = Instapwnage

_On_Topic_Line_

Nair into rest should do the trick depending, of course, on the nature of the crouchcanceller in question.

Which begs the question: who does he use?
Actually, haxing keyboard DI can get out of the drill before the rest, usually.

On topic:

Do a barrel roll!

Top Bottom