• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Way To Punish Tether's as Ike

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if anyone has done this yet or thought about this, but what about grab ledge, (once they are force on stage), jump and the second Ike lets go of the ledge, waveland downsmash.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
That would probably work. You'd have to be careful of characters with Up-B tethers like ZSS and Ivy, though, since they could feint going to stage and Up-B to ledge again.

Usually, I end up trying to follow the tether jump with a ledgehop bair. Covers a lot of horizontal space.

Last edited:

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
That would probably work. You'd have to be careful of characters with Up-B tethers like ZSS and Ivy, though, since they could feint going to stage and Up-B to ledge again.

Usually, I end up trying to follow the tether jump with a ledgehop bair. Covers a lot of horizontal space.
Ike recovers really fast when you do it, so if they drift back, I think you can wavedash back off and grab the ledge if you are quick enough (100%+ is only a little slower so you can do it with that too, but I'm not completely sure). Second hit from Downsmash might also work as well since you will be close enough to the ledge to where the second hit covers the ledge. I haven't fully tested it for all scenarios though.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I play JZ like every tournament...

Make sure they do not have their double jump (good way to get hit by razor leaf). Stay on the ledge in case they drift back, his landing is slow enough that you can still react otherwise.

I usually land with a dair->bair/uair or a bair if he is too low or too high of % for dair to combo. This is the best and most reliable punish. If you want to get fancy, try wavelanding on and pivot grabbing. This gives you a nice fthrow->fair->edgeguard setup.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
^ A lot of good stuff. Taking the ledge is the most important thing, and I think Dair > X is the best punish since it gives use damage + leniency to hit em where we want instead of doing bairs and maybe hitting the reverse or the normal hitbox.

Another tip I've found incredibly effective against Z-Tether is dropping down with Dair where the tether would be/reel. Either you meteor them or you soft hit at an angle that's hilariously difficult for Z-Tether characters to work their way out of and steal their ledge for an easy gimp.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Wall jump fair is always viable if they try to recover high parallel to the stage's ledge
As is grabbing ledge to initiate a nair juggle as they rise up.
As is Bairing them as they first initiate the tether on ledge
As is dairing them as they rise up if you're feeling ballsy

Top Bottom