• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A way for PK Thunder to not be totally flaccid as a recovery move.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
I just thought of this. I may need to think more, who knows, but just discuss it yourselves and save me the trouble.

Super armor while using PK thunder could potentially save Lucas from having the same problems Ness had in melee. The only problem now would be people purposefully getting in the way of it, to intercept it, but there's little ways around that (maybe the bolt could now still go through people after having hit them).

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
If the bolt went through people, then whenever Lucas used it, he'd be totally defenseless, unless it was midair. I've seen PK thunder used for some pretty impressive combos in Melee, and I don't think. . .

. . .Well, then again, depending on how well it turns, it might actually be quite good at comboing on it's own, now that I think about it. . .

Zek

Smash Ace
In case you guys have forgotten, PK Thunder was awesome in SSB64. It sent Ness like twice as fast and far as it did in Melee. Judging from the screenshot it seems to go further and hopefully does it faster than before.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
I think just making it faster would be good. And seeing how everyones more floaty, a faster PK Thunder would ****.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
Probably they could make it like Pikashu's FS, you know, that if you dont tilt the control stick so much, it would go slower, that way you cant control it's speed.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Probably they could make it like Pikashu's FS, you know, that if you dont tilt the control stick so much, it would go slower, that way you cant control it's speed.
huh? But that would mean the arc to hit yourself would be slow as normal, and thats kind of the problem.

D

Deleted member

They just need to make it work like it did in Smash 64. Apparently a lot of the moves are back to how they were in 64 so I'm praying that is the case with PK Thunder.

Axel-of-the-Key

Smash Cadet
I think PK Thunder could be buffed by making it possible for Lucas to tether recover with Rope Snake even after launching himself. That would make it 10X better.
Although I'm AMAZING at recovering with it as Ness in Melee, so I have nothing to worry about.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
I know, I was so happy when I saw all of his 4 specials, 'couse if he had only shown 2 o 3 like he usually does, it would have been a frikin chaos!!!!

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
I know, I was so happy when I saw all of his 4 specials, 'couse if he had only shown 2 o 3 like he usually does, it would have been a frikin chaos!!!!
Quoted for truth, I dare not think about the flame wars concerning his other specials.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
I'm not so sure if making PK thunder fast isnt a very good solution, a problem that I faced while using Ness is that when my PK Thunder is successful, I get knocked back down with a smash.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
I just think it needs higher speed and priority after it has hit you so you won't get immediately launched back into the abyss. What is the point of a hard to aim attack that will more often than not leave you open to the worst **** imaginable?

dan smith

Smash Champion
I was pretty happy with PKT in Melee...it wasn't really a problem.

Invincible would be downright brutal.

I bet it won't happen...if it does...man...you could use that in combat. Up B to block an oncoming missle and then simply ground cancel the Bolt.

Faster is more likely.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
I was pretty happy with PKT in Melee...it wasn't really a problem.

Invincible would be downright brutal.

I bet it won't happen...if it does...man...you could use that in combat. Up B to block an oncoming missle and then simply ground cancel the Bolt.

Faster is more likely.
I meant super armor when you are being blasted away after using PK Thunder on you (Lucas).

dan smith

Smash Champion
I've never really had much of a problem with getting killed mid blast, the lag afterwards is what kills me.

D

Deleted member

I remember being virtually untouchable after using PK Thunder in the original...I was happy with it. I can't speak for Melee.

It takes skill to land the move and aim it properly so it should naturally have an advantage over easier moves. In the original I found that it went very far, you could aim where you wanted, it did a lot of damage and was hard to intercept. Sounds fair to me...

PBalfredo

Smash Rookie
I started thinking about this subject after getting my PK Thunder canceled by opponents throwing themselves into it before it hits Ness twice in one battle (AARGH!). The conclusion I came to is that Lucas should be able to use his UP-B in air again as long as he doesn't launch himself. Only after he launches himself with PK Thunder should his UP-B be considered used up. Sort of like how Capt. Falcon can use his UP-B again if he catches an enemies, this would allow Lucas to use his recovery without worry of enemies letting themselves be damaged in order to stop Lucas from reaching the stage. I don't think any problems could arise from this solution since PK Thunder alone does not give Lucas any height or distance, so why should it count as his third jump when it doesn't hit him. How does this sound?

Axel-of-the-Key

Smash Cadet
I started thinking about this subject after getting my PK Thunder canceled by opponents throwing themselves into it before it hits Ness twice in one battle (AARGH!). The conclusion I came to is that Lucas should be able to use his UP-B in air again as long as he doesn't launch himself. Only after he launches himself with PK Thunder should his UP-B be considered used up. Sort of like how Capt. Falcon can use his UP-B again if he catches an enemies, this would allow Lucas to use his recovery without worry of enemies letting themselves be damaged in order to stop Lucas from reaching the stage. I don't think any problems could arise from this solution since PK Thunder alone does not give Lucas any height or distance, so why should it count as his third jump when it doesn't hit him. How does this sound?
Actually, really good.

Well done.

ugg1020

Smash Cadet
Yes, I agree with PBalfredo also. Super armor during the blast, (or at least limited vulnerability like fox's) would be extremely helpful in making the move quite useful.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I agree with PBalfredo also. Super armor during the blast, (or at least limited vulnerability like fox's) would be extremely helpful in making the move quite useful.
Exactly, those two improvements would instantly make the PK-Thunder good enough to rely on in a real fight. As it stands, it is only a good way to set yourself up for a kill.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman

It's a little hard to tell from a still, but to me this looks like it's showing us at two things --
1) The arc of the thunder is muuuch tighter than it was.
2) The thunder is either much faster OR Lucas doesn't drop in altitude. Look at the position of the end of the tail, it looks like it completes a full circle. I might be wrong, but I can't remember Ness being able to whip one out in a full circle that fast. Also, am I the only one that thinks his PSI aura is absolutely awesome?

I could be completely wrong, but it looks like PK Thunder has definitely been changed in some way.

saratos

Smash Apprentice
First off, please no talk of armor and whatnot, as PKT2 is actually an above average recovery. People just hate it because it is tricky at first.

It has about the range of fox's ^B with the speed of Falcos, and insane damage with below average range. I think the speed of Lucas's movement could be slightly faster, and with a bit more range/priority. Perhaps a way to auto-aim it, the way you do with fox's (perhaps by holding down b and aiming it?). A way to cancel it would be nice, as it would be for the neutral b. Judging by that pic, lucas may have a bit of that sort of burning stuff going on.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
hey guys....if pk thunder was FASTER combined with the overall slower fall speed of characters in brawl than in melee then PK Thunder would be a broken move in 1v1 as you would be ab le to juggle ppl for a long time(probably to death) with it

also, some things about recovery, from the screen shots shown of it i can already tell that it is longer than in melee and the bolt of it has a bigger tail, but here is something to consider...remember in the latest video where lucas does that twirl thru the air just before he does a "bat swing"? Maybe that is Lucas going into a glide after his pk thunder recovery finishes

also, im not so sure about this, but when i was looking at the screenshot with the pk thunder going around lucas, is it just me or is there a little electric trail that extends beyond the tail of pk thnder drawing a path from where it started?

lol i hope pk thunder is faster than would be so broken

EDIT; o something else to know fyi in Melee PK2 is invincible for the first ten frames.

Top Bottom