• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Way Avoiding Grab after failed Dash Attack into Shield?

JayHarvey

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to avoid getting grabbed or combo'd after you make the mistake of dash attacking into an opponent who shields the attack? Sometimes I notice just ground dodging (Shield+Down) will work and I could dodge then punish the missed grab attempt but other times I feel like that's too slow. I've tried WDashing back, short hopping into an air dodge (Which is prob worst then just taking the combo damage) and trying to jab out of it. Has anyone been able to get out of that situation or is the best strategy to not get yourself in that horrible position. Thanks ahead of time.

yohoos

Smash Apprentice
You could try to do a late dash attack so that you go behind them or space it better so that you remain outside their grab range after hitting their shield. Although the raw truth of the matter is, you will and should get punished for a mistake like that so just try not to do it I guess.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
It's bad on sheild. If you do it, you will get punished for it. Mario's dash atk, is one of those things that is good, but in moderation. You should be able to count how many times you actually did one by the end of set.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i pretty much never use dash attack unless it's as a follow up to extend a combo. I never throw it out unless i'm pretty sure it'll hit/be safe

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I do the same thing way too often and I'm trying to find new ways to get the same effect as the dash attack but without being so easily punished. So far the best substitute I've found is to wavedash forward into downtilt, which works really well in starting combos and you can act more quickly out of it.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Try throwing out fireballs and follow them in to the dash attack. They can be used as a shield.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Try throwing out fireballs and follow them in to the dash attack. They can be used as a shield.
That could be risky for characters that effectively destroy fireballs. Dash cancel attacks are also veryyyy useful for Mario.

GeZ

Smash Lord
That won't work unless near perfectly timed. Fireballs barely cause any shield stun. You'll still be shield grabbed. Just don't spam dash attack.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
That won't work unless near perfectly timed. Fireballs barely cause any shield stun. You'll still be shield grabbed. Just don't spam dash attack.
If the fireball hits then take it's stun for advantage and go in for a dash attack. If not wave dash back and do something else. That's how I do it.

GeZ

Smash Lord
If the fireball hits then take it's stun for advantage and go in for a dash attack. If not wave dash back and do something else. That's how I do it.
I'm almost positive that won't put them in enough shield stun. The person you're playing against should be able to shield grab that because that's not good timing. To make DA safe you have to start it up a little bit before fireball hits shield.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I'm almost positive that won't put them in enough shield stun. The person you're playing against should be able to shield grab that because that's not good timing. To make DA safe you have to start it up a little bit before fireball hits shield.
Right. Dash attack is risky in general because of its super high endlag. I would recommend trying to replace it with other moves like uptilt and downtilt, but you also have to be more careful with those because you arent a sliding hitbox anymore, so you need to be more conscious of your timing, but they work well with wavedashes. Dash attack is safest when strung with combos. Would you agree?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Right. Dash attack is risky in general because of its super high endlag. I would recommend trying to replace it with other moves like uptilt and downtilt, but you also have to be more careful with those because you arent a sliding hitbox anymore, so you need to be more conscious of your timing, but they work well with wavedashes. Dash attack is safest when strung with combos. Would you agree?
Most definitely agree.

One tech that not a lot of players know about is that when you're holding down back if you press A you'll jab instead of downtilt. While that's only kind of neat, it means that when dashing you can roll the stick from down to back and press A and you'll jab out of dash, which is a much much better option.

Top Bottom