• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A useful way to use the pk fire cancel

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Something I found while playing around, sorry if it is known already.
Most of us know about the PK fire canceling, that is when you pk fire off of a ledge at the correct timing, ness shouts out pk fire, but falls off the ledge without anything coming out.
Now there is obviously no real use for this other than the fact that it might scare or hesitate people off of the platform, but I found something interesting.
Right when you get off of the ledge, all vertical movement seems to be canceled out. If you want to see this for your self, try running off of the ledge, and push c-stick down. You will see ness initiate his dair, but also fast fall downwards. This is obviously dangerous.
Now, try doing the pk fire cancel, and right when you do it, push c-stick down. you will see ness dair right at platform level. This is very useful because say some1 is trying to recover, and you don't have the time to go down there, jump up and dair to spike them. You can just do this to quickly spike who ever is coming.

I'll try to post up a video soon, but it should be quite easy to do. I'll see if there may be any other uses for the pk fire cancel other than for dairs.

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIC15mnG7pg
I annotated too so you can see what I"m talking about. I should've put in what happens when you don't pkfc(i'll call it that xD), basicly if you don't pkfc, instead of going to the side like i did, you go straight down, which in case i would've missed, and had a hard time...Actually I did do it at the beginning. woops

Uffe

Smash Hero
It's tricky, possibly situational, but very rewarding. That was awesome! :laugh:

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
It's tricky, possibly situational, but very rewarding. That was awesome! :laugh:
Yeap. I believe if you master this, you can take ness's spike game to the next level, landing more spikes. especially on those high level players that expect for a spike if you jump up over them :3

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Cool tricky technique. :bee:
So, is the cancelled PK Fire just for extra mindgame flavor? Because it seems to me that you can just run off the edge and dair. I'll try to use this, I need to spike more with Ness. :psycho:

Player01

Smash Journeyman
i dont think you will fast fall Dair if you tilt down and press A. but im not sure. so the pk fire cancel might not be needed.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
Cool. However, I believe T-sticking (tilts) would be just as effective. Especially since you can do instant dash attacks and other cool stuff.

Edit: Your title is redundant.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
with the pkfire ledge cancel, you add a bit of confusion onto the spike, as well as have the dair immediately come out after you get off the ledge if the dair was buffered from the pkfire. tilting downwards on the control stick may not always be the best choice, because you could accidentally FF. it really takes no extra skill at all to perform this pkf ledge cancel technique. it's really easy to do, i just tried.

by the looks of it, you can also use the pkfire ledge cancel to edgehog. i did it only once, but if you use the pkfire and let go of pressing forward, wait a fraction of a second to fall off and grab the ledge, YAY edgehog!

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
with the pkfire ledge cancel, you add a bit of confusion onto the spike, as well as have the dair immediately come out after you get off the ledge if the dair was buffered from the pkfire. tilting downwards on the control stick may not always be the best choice, because you could accidentally FF. it really takes no extra skill at all to perform this pkf ledge cancel technique. it's really easy to do, i just tried.

by the looks of it, you can also use the pkfire ledge cancel to edgehog. i did it only once, but if you use the pkfire and let go of pressing forward, wait a fraction of a second to fall off and grab the ledge, YAY edgehog!
Thanks for explaining stuff eagleeye x]. Also another note, if done correctly, your dair will be like boosted side-b; where it slides a little. You can also adjust this. By not holding down side ways when you spike, you can stay right against the ledge and initiate a spike. If you master this move, you can instantly go for spikes for people trying to recover without the need to jump off, jump again and spike.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Cool. However, I believe T-sticking (tilts) would be just as effective. Especially since you can do instant dash attacks and other cool stuff.

Edit: Your title is redundant.

However you don't need to T-stick with this. Making people who love using their C-stick to smash not have to get used to T-sticking.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
What a coincidence :). This is exactly the kind of trick I was looking for, and I was even employing the same method to try to find it just yesterday. Looks like I was just missing the timing though (I didn't try for very long). Great find :D.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
What a coincidence :). This is exactly the kind of trick I was looking for, and I was even employing the same method to try to find it just yesterday. Looks like I was just missing the timing though (I didn't try for very long). Great find :D.
Thanks xD.
btw, I don't recommend using it in tourneys, or serious matches unless you master it, because if you are late in inputting the dair, even if you pkfc, you'll still fast fall. Make sure you input the dair right after you pk fire so that it gets buffered, and you don't have to worry about fast falling x]

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
If I had problems learning buffer timings I probably wouldn't play Abel and C. Viper in SFIV (not that you'd have any way of knowing that). I totally agree though, I probably won't use this until I get a lot of practice with it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
This is actually... really frickin cool :)

I get it. The PKF is acting as a safety net to prevent an unintentional FF am I correct?
Plus, this is a very sexy technique. PK FIRE *spikes*
Opponent: O_o

I can see it being used. There have been many times in which I wished a SH dair was faster, but I didnt wat to risk fast falling to death.

Nice job KP

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Thanks EB360 x].
I guess theres no need to reply to the PM now, lolol. So yea, if its good enough go ahead and put it on your guide.

getting back on topic, This is quite obvious, but you obviously can do any move after you pkfc. a nice one (that i never pulled off LOL) is you can pkfc into a reverse pk fire to some one who is not paying attention, and cazcombo them. of course you can just run off and do that, but this way you won't have as much momentum when going off.

btw, if you guys noticed, the pkfc can only be done if you are running, since it relies on the sliding to go off the edge. If anybody can figure out how to pkfc and close distance to the edge, in other words possibly without having to be running (maybe the start run animation), this would be a lot more useful.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I think the only way is to get a running/walking (although walking is a bit harder) start, otherwise you move off the edge or stand still and use pk fire. If you run and get really close to the edge, you could manage to cancel the entire sound and everything of pkfire, but it's difficult to buffer something for afterwards. The pkfire ledge cancel to pkfire towards the stage that kp mentioned hit the top part of that tiny ledge-like thing on fd at the quickest I could do it, which basically hits anyone directly below the lip. You can adjust the timing of the second pkfire to hit at basically any point below the ledge of the stage.

Edit: I only said KP cause I wanted to be cool like eb360.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I think the only way is to get a running/walking (although walking is a bit harder) start, otherwise you move off the edge or stand still and use pk fire. If you run and get really close to the edge, you could manage to cancel the entire sound and everything of pkfire, but it's difficult to buffer something for afterwards. The pkfire ledge cancel to pkfire towards the stage that kp mentioned hit the top part of that tiny ledge-like thing on fd at the quickest I could do it, which basically hits anyone directly below the lip. You can adjust the timing of the second pkfire to hit at basically any point below the ledge of the stage.
I like how you guys abbreviate my name to kp xD.
nyways, although i've only done it once, in the case of FD (and most likely the other neutrals other than yoshi's) if you pkfc to 2nd pk fire, you can rising nair for a stage spike. but depending on if you can retreat far enough, you might have a difficult time recovering.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I find that simply walking off is easier. People that I play usually just ignore the PKF cancel and recover normally without hesitation.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I've done it without b-sticking or w/e. You can also do this in reverse. Very situational though...

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
If ur on fd, do a full run and pkf right after the last line on the floor(seperates light and dark blue)
That area is just about the right length, but you can be closer to the ledge

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
i'm having trouble initiating the pk fire cancel. any tips?
BF is a good stage to practice on. Press B while running off one of the platforms and if you hear "PK Fire!" but all Ness does is cancel a bit of his momentum and fall, you've done it correctly. You could slow it down a little bit, but you really just need to make sure you press B right when you leave the ledge or even a little bit before.

smash64

Smash Champion
i guess this could be useful if some one spam the pk fire and then did that i guess you could call it a pk mind game lol

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Well if I'm reading this right, the point of it is NOT the PKF mindgame, but how it allows a non fast falled dair right off the ledge.

I've gotten this down moderately well by now. I still havent used it, but Im working on it.

Top Bottom