• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A tiny bit of Z-drop info

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
So as I've started to incorporate Z-dropping a lot more than I used to, (as i feel this is what pac man needs in his playstyle) I noticed (and this may already be common knowledge) that when using grab to regrab a z-dropped item in mid-air it would sometimes be lagless, or I guess normal landing lag. But other times I would use the grab button and it would grab it but trigger an air dodge so when I landed I got air dodge lag. So from what I tested, you z-drop your fruit, and when it starts bouncing back up *toward* you, that's when you press the grab button. When it's falling *away* from you it triggers an air dodge with it. So I think of it as kind of like a basketball. I usually fast fall and press grab to get it back quicker, it makes for a good mixup instead of z-dropping and picking it back up with an aerial. So in a way you can do empty hop z-drop pick it back up and retreat. Hopefully at least someone learned something new.

Also I'm gonna put this here in case you want to see

Not the most useful combo but. In training mode I noticed it'll hit at earlier percents if the person DIs away. At the least it adds pressure with the hydrant even if it doesn't hit them.
The inputs are just: jump, z-drop, footstool, hydrant, fall off bair.
You can also do: jump, z-drop, and foostool nair. Which does decent damage with melon and is more likely to hit than the gif one I believe.

xzx

Smash Lord
Z-dropping and holding the fruit is important to advance PAC-MAN's metagame I believe. I implemented this back in the Brawl days (in its last active years) and boy what those tire z-drops helped me in certain situations. Not only does it apply pressure to the opponent, but it also gives you more options and follow-ups. For instance, holding a Bell in your hand while the opponent is at kill %s creates immense pressure to the opponent and it can be used for z-drop mindgames and then, when the right moment has come, you throw it instead which causes stunning and then BOOM you hit them with a smash attack. Pretty useful stuff actually!

Top Bottom