• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

A Super-Effective Pound - A Guide to Smash 4 Jigglypuff!

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
HydreigonMuppetMaster submitted a new guide:

A Super-Effective Pound - A guide to Smash 4 Jigglypuff! - Traveling from the high-tier to low tier, it's the puff ball herself!

History:
When it comes to Smash, Jigglypuff seems to be either really good or really bad. Jigglypuff, in Smash 64, was a C-tier character as of today. I didn't play much or watch much competitive Smash 64, so I don't know much about his game. Jigglypuff in Melee was, to my surprise the first time I saw it, was among the top 5. Jigglypuff was found to have an incredible air game, most seen by 1 of the top players of the world, hungrybox. Not to mentrion, Rest was decently...

pzyclone

Smash Rookie
Thanks, jigglybro. I randomed jiggly against my niece today and realized what a sick air game she had. Never realized it in brawl and project m I always slept on trying her out. This guide definately put playing her in perspective and she will make a nice secondary to my Pac Man.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
It's a pretty good guide, very detailed and reasonable. Although I find it odd how you prefer her down throw to anything else since I can't ever chain anything off of it like I can for her forward throw.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Thanks, jigglybro. I randomed jiggly against my niece today and realized what a sick air game she had. Never realized it in brawl and project m I always slept on trying her out. This guide definately put playing her in perspective and she will make a nice secondary to my Pac Man.
Yeah I honestly think PM Jigglypuff isn't that good. hungrybox doesn't even use him he uses like Olimar and Mario. Brawl, like I said she was decent, but many considered her terribble. Smash 4 she's great! Glad you enjoyed the guide!
It's a pretty good guide, very detailed and reasonable. Although I find it odd how you prefer her down throw to anything else since I can't ever chain anything off of it like I can for her forward throw.
Well...I guess I'm more used to simply using her down grab all the time than using any other grab of her, and it works out in the end. I mean you can combo with other grabs then that's great (I don't know, maybe you found Side Grab -> (opponnet side rolls into you) -> Shield -> rest or something hilarious like that), but I'm just more used to the down grab that's all.
Glad you enjoyed the guide still!

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
HydreigonMuppetMaster updated A Super-Effective Pound - A Guide to Smash 4 Jigglypuff! with a new update entry:

Update: 2 Videos are posted. - 10/21/14

One video explains how Jigglypuff can crouch and avoid a lot of moves and then counter with a rest.

The other video is a match with Jigglypuff against Bowser Jr.

Any iPad videos I'm not sure if I can update or not because I don't have any experience with uploading videos on Youtube, unless there's anyway I can post videos like that without the use of Youtube.
Read the rest of this update entry...

PeachPlumPear

Smash Cadet
Great overview of Jigglypuff! I was wondering, though: what do you use between her airgame? It seems like most of her moves lack range or are unsafe on shield, and her grab range is sad. How do you get them into the air in the first place?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Great overview of Jigglypuff! I was wondering, though: what do you use between her airgame? It seems like most of her moves lack range or are unsafe on shield, and her grab range is sad. How do you get them into the air in the first place?
Yeah that is a flaw with Jigglypuff: Her range is bad. I don't think the worst range, esspecailly with her side smash sliding and moving, but it's a little difficult trying to use her aerials and get close with them (even more if your opponent has a specific projectile). With Jigglypuff I know one thing you gotta do is predict your opponent's rolls. If they roll into you, short jump OOS and use her NAir or Down Air (Rest if feeling lucky). Jigglypuff does a lot, and I mean A LOT of Short hop to aerials and Short hop OOS to aerials. Shielding is also key to Jigglypuff's game when predicting the jab and countering with (guess what?) an aerial. Though, literally breaking your shield will K.O. you so something definitley not to fully abuse.

You don't grab often. Maybe 3 times at maximum. As I've said before, short jump to aerials are what you're gonna do for a majority.

I don't think you have to get them in the air in order for Jigglypuff to work. Side Aerials I think are your best aerial option for when your opponent is on the ground. As great as the Up-Air is for her long-lasting hitbox and upwards range, it's usually limited for oppoents in the air only. Jigglypuff, on occasion, does have somewhat of a ground game, relying on her smashes and tilts (and, OMG, short hop to aerials).

I hope this at least helped a bit. Basically, get proffessional at getting near your opponent, because Pop Quiz: what do you do most of the time? Going offensive with the aerials all over your opponent is Jigg's offensive game (hell, even pound works for an upwards direction).

PeachPlumPear

Smash Cadet
Yeah that is a flaw with Jigglypuff: Her range is bad. I don't think the worst range, esspecailly with her side smash sliding and moving, but it's a little difficult trying to use her aerials and get close with them (even more if your opponent has a specific projectile). With Jigglypuff I know one thing you gotta do is predict your opponent's rolls. If they roll into you, short jump OOS and use her NAir or Down Air (Rest if feeling lucky). Jigglypuff does a lot, and I mean A LOT of Short hop to aerials and Short hop OOS to aerials. Shielding is also key to Jigglypuff's game when predicting the jab and countering with (guess what?) an aerial. Though, literally breaking your shield will K.O. you so something definitley not to fully abuse.

You don't grab often. Maybe 3 times at maximum. As I've said before, short jump to aerials are what you're gonna do for a majority.

I don't think you have to get them in the air in order for Jigglypuff to work. Side Aerials I think are your best aerial option for when your opponent is on the ground. As great as the Up-Air is for her long-lasting hitbox and upwards range, it's usually limited for oppoents in the air only. Jigglypuff, on occasion, does have somewhat of a ground game, relying on her smashes and tilts (and, OMG, short hop to aerials).

I hope this at least helped a bit. Basically, get proffessional at getting near your opponent, because Pop Quiz: what do you do most of the time? Going offensive with the aerials all over your opponent is Jigg's offensive game (hell, even pound works for an upwards direction).
That did help, thanks :) This is the first game in which I've tried to pick up the puffs.

The Existentialist

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1160-9874-5174
Hey, just saying I've found that after a pound I can almost always get a free dash attack off before the enemy can react.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345

Ur0nlyParents

Smash Rookie
Hey there!
Been playing ALOT of Jigglypuff for the 3ds. Never played online yet due to being on deployment. However, what I have noticed is that sing can be used in an extremely dangerous way. Lets say your hanging from a ledge. you can drop from the ledge and leap up past the ledge and sing. if done correctly (and you dont get hit by opponent) they will be put to sleep and sing will be canceled by grabbing back onto the ledge. This requires your oppenent to be standing somewhat by the edge. once they are asleep you can simply hop back onto the platform (use left or right instead of jumping) as soon as you are on the platform jigglypuff will be all the way inside your opponent and ready for an amazing rest. really hard to do, even against the terrible ai on difficulty 9 but if you can catch them off guard its a great combo. Hope This helps even a little, or atleast gives you one more trick in your arsenal.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Hey there!
Been playing ALOT of Jigglypuff for the 3ds. Never played online yet due to being on deployment. However, what I have noticed is that sing can be used in an extremely dangerous way. Lets say your hanging from a ledge. you can drop from the ledge and leap up past the ledge and sing. if done correctly (and you dont get hit by opponent) they will be put to sleep and sing will be canceled by grabbing back onto the ledge. This requires your oppenent to be standing somewhat by the edge. once they are asleep you can simply hop back onto the platform (use left or right instead of jumping) as soon as you are on the platform jigglypuff will be all the way inside your opponent and ready for an amazing rest. really hard to do, even against the terrible ai on difficulty 9 but if you can catch them off guard its a great combo. Hope This helps even a little, or atleast gives you one more trick in your arsenal.
Huh, is that why I see Jiggs players singing on the edge? I thought they always do that just for IDK, cool gimmicks. Like how people in Melee when playing Fox shoot 2 lasers then immediatley fast-fall and do some other fast sinanigans when the opponent lost a stock. Like, really? that works? I mean only on high-percent or just about any percent? Does percent matter when....ummm....."Edge-singing"? (I'm just going to call it that from now on.)

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
It works, and really has been known basically forever. As with using Sing at any other time, it's pretty risky and often isn't worth it. Sing's hitbox doesn't come out immediately, so you have to leave yourself wide open for a smash attack for it to work. It also is more risky than previous iterations because you lose ledge invincibility. Even still, it can catch people off-guard if you don't use it very much or if they don't see it coming. At best it works well against people who get close to the ledge to try an attack out of shield or a counter.

sonti

Smash Rookie
why do you think its best to hit people with Nair when they are off stage trying to grab a ledge? given the fact that you could also straight up kill them with back air. Or is it just because its the easiest to hit?

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Not only is it the easiest to hit, nair is also a more effective way to potentially "edgeguard" someone in smash 4. I'd also say that nair and fair would both be the best course of action when you keep someone away from getting back to the ledge.
If you are certain of hitting someone with bair, then go for it. More knockback. But most of the time people would airdodge easily due to bair's startup.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
why do you think its best to hit people with Nair when they are off stage trying to grab a ledge? given the fact that you could also straight up kill them with back air. Or is it just because its the easiest to hit?
The NAir would be far easier to use off the edge because it's a quick move off the edge with barely any control stick inputs at all. I guess you could go for Bair now that you mention it, but that would be a little harder to land it.
Not only is it the easiest to hit, nair is also a more effective way to potentially "edgeguard" someone in smash 4. I'd also say that nair and fair would both be the best course of action when you keep someone away from getting back to the ledge.
What this guy said.

Last edited:

Nehemiah387

Smash Rookie
Huh, is that why I see Jiggs players singing on the edge? I thought they always do that just for IDK, cool gimmicks. Like how people in Melee when playing Fox shoot 2 lasers then immediatley fast-fall and do some other fast sinanigans when the opponent lost a stock. Like, really? that works? I mean only on high-percent or just about any percent? Does percent matter when....ummm....."Edge-singing"? (I'm just going to call it that from now on.)
If you are certain of hitting someone with bair, then go for it. More knockback. But most of the time people would airdodge easily due to bair's startup.

There r other ways to edge guard with puff though. If u stand near but not close to the edge, u can spot dodge if they attack to get back on, then punish with rest. If they constantly jump to get back on, jump into the air and then use rest. I agree that u should use nair most of the time when u r edge guarding, but switch it up occasionally to keep ur opponent guessing. U could also jump offstage and try to use a mix between jumps and bairs, or jumps and fairs. When going offstage, make sure u don't stray to far from the stage unless u r certain u can get back.

Top Bottom