• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A special message from Gimpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
What are Ike's killing moves in the air though? aside from his side+b being a spike, or Aether, is his dair or fair enough to kill at the low percentages that he can with his smash attacks? I'm not trying to be a jack@$s, I just don't know which of his killing air moves are besides his side+b and possibly aether.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Most of Ike's air moves are kill moves, as are ALL his moves and that may in fact be his biggest problem. Because all of his moves are kill moves they are all unimaginably slow. He has no real damage builders or combos so all your left with is a set of moves that equates to Bowser's Fsmash. Only three times as slow.

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
Even if ikes slow some people can actually make him good like for instance Taj or something like that who was mewtwo went against forwards falco and he manage to win some rounds. you can actually make a character become good people

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Even if ikes slow some people can actually make him good like for instance Taj or something like that who was mewtwo went against forwards falco and he manage to win some rounds. you can actually make a character become good people
QFT

I guess it eludes some people that people will manage to make Ike a decent character. I feel that Ike has already had the lag removed on his attacks, but we won't know until we get our hands on the game. I very much doubt Sakurai would let something like a hidden lag go into the final version of Brawl.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
QFT

I guess it eludes some people that people will manage to make Ike a decent character. I feel that Ike has already had the lag removed on his attacks, but we won't know until we get our hands on the game. I very much doubt Sakurai would let something like a hidden lag go into the final version of Brawl.
I would also very doubt that Sakurai would put a character that has no chance of being good. He always has characters that are hard to learn, but also have hidden talents. Just ask Gimpy

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
I think Ike will be a hard character to learn in Brawl, a challenge that I am welcoming. I really like what I see from Ike, his type of character suits me perfectly(power, low percentage kills, etc) and I love swords. I'm looking forward to going to tourny's with Ike after I feel I'm ready, hehe.

note: I'll get stomped upon the first few times I go to tourny's, I have no doubt, but that will make me go back and train harder with Ike.

edit: I want to ask, would there ever be a FFA style tournament? because that would sort of rule as I'm a huge fan of ffa.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Actually no, you cant make a bad character good. Taj beating Forwards Falco stems from the fact that Taj plays Forward ALOT. So much so that he knows his play style inside and out and how to exploit it. Mewtwo will never be a good character just like Ike will never be a good character. And I know it sounds like I'm just Ike bashing but seriously, you haven't played him, you don't understand just how retardedly slow/bad he is.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Lots of people hate Ike, lots of people like him. I'll become skilled with Ike with a ****load of practice, as Im sure others will.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
So? is it so wrong for us to like a character aside from Sonic, Meta Knight, and Wario? He's probably fixed by now, it was, afterall, just a demo in which he sucked a$s.

edit:this is my response to pink reaper.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
But you have to understand, in order for him to be fixed, the ENTIRE character would have to be changed. And dont assume I dont like Ike as a character either. I love Fire Emblem games, I love Ike, but the fact of the matter is unless he gets a full overhaul he's going to be highly unplayable. Also, dont assume I dont like low tier characters, I main Kirby after all, but Ike seems like he's worse than any other character ever. Worse than mewtwo and pichu combined. Also, dont think he's the new bowser, he has not one single fast attack. I played a match with Gimpy at E for All, my bowser Vs. his Ike and Bowser ran circles around Ike. Thats right, BOWSER is significantly faster than Ike. And this was Gimpy playing, you know, the guy that makes slow characters fast.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
I never assumed Ike was the new bowser, Ike is Ike. I doubt he'll be unplayable though. I dont think Sakurai would leave him as he was, do you?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
well you have to understand that Sakurai doesn't really think of his characters being used competitively, he thinks of 4 player FFA with Items on (because real men use items XD) In that context, Ike is an amazing character, so theres no reason for Sakurai to change him. Also, dont think I dont want Ike to be changed, I REALLY want Ike to be good, he's one of my favorite characters from any video game and I really do hope he changes but Im not really expecting it to happen.

Edit: in your above post you stated how you expect everyone to use Sonic. While I know this isnt the Sonic forums I feel like it needs to be said that Sonic probably wont be a high tier character, more like mid tier if I had to guess from the demo. He will see quite a bit of use, but not as much as you'd expect, he's a really unwieldy(sp?) character and if anything, his speed works against him(sort of like Ike XD)

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Well, most of you guys who went to the demo are competitors, so you think mostly from that perspective. I want to go pro with Brawl, and with Ike or another power toon if I can(maybe Dedede). But I believe Ike will suit me the best, but I dont know, its all up in the air still.

edit: I agree with you, I'm going to be playing a lot of ffa online, so Ike will definately dominte that aspect. But, I'm going to make my friends play me 1 on 1 with no items, me using Ike and them using whoever.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Hey, Im not saying to NOT play Ike(well, I sort of am >_>) im just saying dont expect him to be nearly as good as Im sure you hope he will be. But DO play him, maybe you can prove me wrong, cus I would really like to see Ike as a competitive character, I love low tier characters. But yeah, DO play him, just expect to need a better character to really compete.

Also, Ike = god tier of FFA XD

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Im not saying to NOT play Ike(well, I sort of am >_>) im just saying dont expect him to be nearly as good as Im sure you hope he will be. But DO play him, maybe you can prove me wrong, cus I would really like to see Ike as a competitive character, I love low tier characters. But yeah, DO play him, just expect to need a better character to really compete.

Also, Ike = god tier of FFA XD
Thats what I'm aiming for mano, to prove lots of people wrong hehe. Its going to take a boatload of practice, and patience, but I'll do it. Also, its going to take me going to tourneys and getting my a$$ handed to me to learn what I think I'll need to learn. Wouldn't you find it awesome if someone playing Ike won tourny's? ;p

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
But remember one thing man, it might not be possible to make Ike that good of a character. It MIGHT be possible to make him playable, even competitive, but it might not make him good enough to be a winning character. He might be the new Kirby/Mewtwo, a character a few people can make good, but not great.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
I can see that, I really want to be good with him, like its my main goal lol. I'll mess around with other characters, but mostly train with Ike. First things first though, I'm definately going to unlock everyone ;p.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
With so many people wanting to make him at least a playable character. There is going to be a way to make him playable. If there really isn't most of the competitive players are going to have wasted their time. I hope not because I plan on playing him and being really good, though I do want to have a secondary main.

gemini-saga

Smash Rookie
Just remember one thing, Sakurai give the hint that Heavy wheight will have chance on Brawl, so I think this time "heavy wheight" will be the best.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
Just remember one thing, Sakurai give the hint that Heavy wheight will have chance on Brawl, so I think this time "heavy wheight" will be the best.
Yes, he did say that but he said "chance" meaning that they may be good...(I hope they are because they are my favorite type of characters)

You can't make a comparison to a professional player, nor can you make a comparison to Mewtwo. Taj is a professional Melee player, who has been to several tournaments with MewTwo, and has become the most successful with him because of his talents. Just because Taj can do it doesn't mean you have the dedication, drive and talent that he has. Even the people that play with their low tier mains would openly admit how bad of a character they are. Just because someone can get good with a character doesn't mean that the character that they play with is good. No matter where you go, Marth's, Fox's, Sheik's and Falco's will dominate the meta-game in Melee.

Secondly, MewTwo has moves that could make for good approaches. Alot of MewTwo's moves are relatively fast enough to be used effectively. Just because Ike is bad doesn't mean that he has potential. Ike is a bad character that will never be like any other; extremely slow in all forms of movement and attack.

Atleast Bowser has his Fortress, Fair, Nair and Forward B to work with. Just as Ganon has his Uair, Fair, Nair, Neutral A and F-tilt amoung other moves that work very well. Ike has....Nothing.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
He's saying that unless you actually played Ike, you really don't understand how slow he is. But he understands that people think hes not as bad from watching videos (but they're still wrong).
hmm, did u not read what i said ... I CLEARLY stated it was impossible to know that much about ike from 2 minute matches whereas there were 14 characters to play as... that gives him (if he played them equally as he should have to find out at least some info for them) a total time of 7.14% time played with him.

Thread closed.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i said that in the middle of saying how slow ike is, and it was basically saying "dont be decieved by the videos. he really is a big slow piece of garbage."

the end.

*ike fsmash*

oh crap it missed because its TOO SLOW.

*bowser fsmash*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom