• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A special message from Gimpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Just in case some people didn't already know:

After watching some of the videos of Ike I find myself doubting that he is really as slow as I recall. Visually some of the startup of his moves is actually hidden; he appears to be much faster than he really is in the videos.
Good day to you all. Mods, please hurry to this topic and close it.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
all i can say here is, Told you so!

Read all my posts about ike... ive been saying there was no way gimpy could know that much about ike from 2 minute matches...

edit: first post!

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Good deal, I was going play Ike anyways though ;p, but this is indeed good to hear. I love sword users and power characters, so Ike will hopefully fit my playstyle perfectly, though if Ganon gets his sword from Twilight Princess it would be a tough choice to make.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, way to cite only part of the quote.

He's saying that Ike looks faster than he is in the videos, but he's also saying that he doubts that Ike is really as insanely slow as he initially said he was.

"After watching some of the videos of Ike I find myself doubting that he is really as slow as I recall. Visually some of the startup of his moves is actually hidden; he appears to be much faster than he really is in the videos."

What does this mean? Ike is slow, sure, but it's fair to say that a great deal of people can abandon that "garbage tier" mindset.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure it still means he is slower than he appears.

Ike will always be garbage tier in my heart. <3

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Thats how I read it as well. I think that it was probably very uncomfortable for people to play Ike using the Wiimote too, as well as every other character, seeing as how most of the crowd were probably Smash Melee players and extremely used to the gamecube controller. I'm withholding my judgement on anything Tier related until the game is out and has been played enough to accurately give tiers.

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
I still love gimps tho this made me have a more reason to look forward to using snake

Coselm

Smash Ace
What Gimpyfish is saying is that Ike is slow.

He means that some of his moves are slow to start up, so in the videos he looks faster than he appears.

If you are not understanding that, then I will simplify it... When you press the buttons to do an attack, it takes Ike longer to do the attack then most characters (slow startup) and since you can't really tell that from the videos, he is slower than you would think.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
He is also saying he is not as slow as he recalls him to be, which is the other important thought in that post. It will take some work to do, but people will learn how to play Ike very well, and it would be easier to play him using a gamecube controller than a Wiimote, but that will go for every character in the game.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Lol @ Garbage Tier.

Well he never said Ike sucked, he just said they're thinking of a way he can be used competitively. (maybe super armor will factor in a bit more to recooperate for his speed)

Gill

Smash Journeyman
He is also saying he is not as slow as he recalls him to be, which is the other important thought in that post. It will take some work to do, but people will learn how to play Ike very well, and it would be easier to play him using a gamecube controller than a Wiimote, but that will go for every character in the game.
He's not as slow as he recalls him to be because a part of the startup is hidden. Visually, Ike doesn't look as slow as he actually is.

You can't see hidden lag.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
All we have to go on is the E4all information, hidden lag wont stop skilled players from learning the intricacies of any character, much less Ike. For all we know, he could be given some super armor patches for some of his smash attacks to compensate for said lag.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Yeah, way to cite only part of the quote.

He's saying that Ike looks faster than he is in the videos, but he's also saying that he doubts that Ike is really as insanely slow as he initially said he was.

"After watching some of the videos of Ike I find myself doubting that he is really as slow as I recall. Visually some of the startup of his moves is actually hidden; he appears to be much faster than he really is in the videos."

What does this mean? Ike is slow, sure, but it's fair to say that a great deal of people can abandon that "garbage tier" mindset.
I think you misunderstand. Ike does not look as slow as he actually is, that was the point. *headdesk* maybe he will post on this topic, even Gimpyfish said that Ike = garbage tier as of the demo, and even though we can argue "but you can't know everything about a character from the demo!" doesn't mean he can't be complete crap compared to the rest of the demo cast.

But you can be grabbed out of super armor.
Possibly Ike's biggest weakness, or maybe the grabbing was a bug, I don't remember if it has been mentioned in the Dojo or not. There has not been an update about Super Armor Frames specifically, I figure Sakurai will make one eventually. That would potentially be a good update and inform us about a lot...

Cless

Smash Champion
Possibly Ike's biggest weakness, or maybe the grabbing was a bug, I don't remember if it has been mentioned in the Dojo or not. There has not been an update about Super Armor Frames specifically, I figure Sakurai will make one eventually. That would potentially be a good update and inform us about a lot...
Hopefully, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of grabbing. Grabbing in every fighting game is a means to get through any guard or invincibility frames people have. Throws always have the highest priority. That would make Ike ridiculous if he couldn't be grabbed though. You wouldn't have any means to stop some of his attacks.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Was grabbing during super armor frames tested? As far as I know, only one attack was confirmed to have super armor, and that was Ike's Up-B, I haven't heard about anyone successfully grabbing him during it. Maybe I just haven't heard about it.

I think that not being able to be grabbed during super armor wouldn't be cheap. If the attack has ending lag, you won't be able to spam it.

Cless

Smash Champion
I could've sworn I read it in Gimpy's thread, but I can't find it now. Maybe I imagined it.

But still, if he couldn't be grabbed out of his armor frames, you wouldn't spam attacks. In no fighting game does spamming really work, and if it does, said character is usually banned (SC3 Sophitia). You'd wait until the opponent was committed and then you'd use Aether or whatever else has armor on it.

Smash Ace
All we have to go on is the E4all information, hidden lag wont stop skilled players from learning the intricacies of any character, much less Ike. For all we know, he could be given some super armor patches for some of his smash attacks to compensate for said lag.
Gimpy is one of the best people in the world at playing a slow character. He has admitted that Bowser is almost unplayably bad due to the lag after attacks, and that Ike is worse. Competitive players focus on faster and faster moves. Skilled though these players are, lag is easier to handle at a casual level. Guys, Gimpy knows what he is talking about. He is one of the best people in the world at using slow characters, he understands how they work and why they don't, when they fail.

Here, watch this video at 4:14.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
I think you misunderstand. Ike does not look as slow as he actually is, that was the point. *headdesk* maybe he will post on this topic, even Gimpyfish said that Ike = garbage tier as of the demo, and even though we can argue "but you can't know everything about a character from the demo!" doesn't mean he can't be complete crap compared to the rest of the demo cast.
Personally, I could really care less if he was low tier, with skill, any character can become good(Gimpy using Bowser, for example). I think Ike will destroy ffa's, and do pretty well in team matches when a skilled Ike user comes along. I'm sure a representative caught the hidden lag that Ike has and told Sakurai or someone and he's been fixed or given the super armor treatment.

A super armor update would be great, haha.

Coselm

Smash Ace
You definetly can't be grabbed out of super armor.

Take giga bowser for instance, basically the whole time you are giga bowser you have super armor. Anybody ever seen giga bowser get grabbed in brawl?

Coselm

Smash Ace
Maybe...

I guess it would make sense to be able to be grabbed out of super armor but we have to wait to find out i suppose.

Ijsut can't picture Ike throwing his sword up and then getting grabbed before he jumps up to get it

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
You definetly can't be grabbed out of super armor.

Take giga bowser for instance, basically the whole time you are giga bowser you have super armor. Anybody ever seen giga bowser get grabbed in brawl?
Giga Bowser is immune to any sort of grab.

Cless

Smash Champion
We realize that. What we were wondering is if Giga Bowser doesn't register grab hitboxes or is super armor actually impervious to grab.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Lots of people really don't care if Ike is slow or not though, and will use him anyways.
I believe that would be me. I think with practice and patience, others as well as myself, can make Ike flow through his moveset and be able to throw other people off balance with the shear power.

Here's hoping and a lot of practice time.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
all i can say here is, Told you so!

Read all my posts about ike... ive been saying there was no way gimpy could know that much about ike from 2 minute matches...

edit: first post!
He's saying that unless you actually played Ike, you really don't understand how slow he is. But he understands that people think hes not as bad from watching videos (but they're still wrong).

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Lots of people really don't care if Ike is slow or not though, and will use him anyways.
Thats great. Thats how it should be. I definitely will use him, but I want a character that can at least function well enough for tournaments. If Ike is too slow for that, I'll use him casually.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Ike, I believe, with enough practice and patience CAN function for tournaments. It will just take time, you need to learn his moveset and what he can do, ground game is probably your best bet, using counter to gain space to get off a fsmash or dsmash.

Ike, I believe, with enough practice and patience CAN function for tournaments. It will just take time, you need to learn his moveset and what he can do, ground game is probably your best bet, using counter to gain space to get off a fsmash or dsmash.
His ground game is worse than his air game, due to the fact that is where he is slowest. Also, that tactic will never win any tournaments. It's extremely predictable, and all you would have to do against Ike is grab. Currently, Ike has no fail safe move that he can use to make approaches with; they're all slow kill moves.

If something isn't done with Ike, I doubt he will be as successful as everyone claims he can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom