• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A simple sand team. (Peaked at 1461 on Smogon)

AfroThunderRule

Smash Journeyman
Team at a glance

Skarmory (F) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 8 SDef / 32 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Roost

*Skarmory is here to take Outrages and wall most of the premier sand threats like Excadrill or Landorus.
*In the case of Excadrill, Skarmory's job is to pop his balloon if it has it to make it easier to beat since they can't resist Rapid Spinning my hazards away.
*Sets up spikes, with one layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock neutral Pokemon will take 25% of their health. This can overwhelm a team in a jiffy.
*Shed Shell allows me to GTFO from opposing Magnezones that loves being on Drag2Mag teams that would wreak this team.
*It's usally the main death-foddler if the team doesn't doesn't need Spikes anymore or to wall things like Scizor/Lando/Exca/etc

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SAtk / 92 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power [Fire]

*Anti-Rain core number 1, one of my switchins to Politoed and other random waters that might be on that team.
*Provides one of two water resists that otherwise will kill the team.
*HP Fire 2HKOs the very common Ferrothorn and hit bullky Grasses that might be a problem for the team.
*92 Spd EVs to outrun all Adamant Scizor, I felt no need to outrun things like defensive Jirachi or Gliscor as Rotom-W beats those regardless.

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

*Mole of the show, team is designed to make his life a bit easier against the opposing team.
*No need for Sword Dance as it already has enough strength to beat team with ease.
*While the team isn't all that stall weak Rapid Spin just kills stall, no current popular ghost can switch in an take Exca's Earthquakes or Rock Slides.
*Jolly allows me at worst a 50% chance of losing the speed tie as he's already strong enough.
*X-Scissor over Return as Celebi and Bronzong can pose as annoyances for this team, and it's a great way to kill Latias/Latios.

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower

*A Sand team needs a Sand Streamer and who's better than Tyranitar (hippo sucks)
*Why use that weak *** Sassy Tyranitar when this thing kills, kills and kills things.
*EVs aim to outrun Max speed Wobbuffet (They exist guys.) and other random crap on that speed tier.
*Pursuit kills Latios regardless if he stays or not, and can kill 0/0 Politoed with SR or SPikes damage on the switch and lol Ninetales.
*Primary Baton Pass killer, unless you have a steel type Pokemon on your chain you will lose, sorry.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 156 HP / 244 SAtk / 108 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic

*Anti-Rain core 2, the second and last water resist in my team.
*My Stealth Rocker and leech seeder, it can wear down lots of Pokemon with the combo of Spikes/SR and Leech Seed, this ***** non-grass stallers.
*My primary switch in to Conkeldurr and can kill it with Psychic, otherwise it can cuase problems for Mr. Excarill
*Spd EVs I believe aims to outrun Adamant Dragonite, though I'm not sure what Celebi can do besides Leech Seed on nite. Any recoded EVs?

Landorus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Hidden Power [Ice]

*Butt buddy of Excadrill, with his moveset he aims to lure and beat some/most of Exca's checks or counters.
*Smack Down + Earthquake aims to beat two of the most popular Exca counters, Bronzong and Skarmory. Since they're lured in (since they can beat most standard Landorus) they switch in and take the Smack Down
*With Smack Down they'll most likely switch, right? This is where Sub goes into play, eases the ammount of prediction I need to do to wear down Exca's counter with Spikes/SR hurting them further.
*Gliscor, another popular counter is lured in and beating with HP Ice, HP Ice also allows me to wear down things like Tangrowth who can beat Exca as well. Agains Sub works perfect here as most Gliscor on the first turn aim to protect to scout if I have HP Ice only to see a sub going up, allowing me to beat it 100% of the time.
*In general a very strong mon with his boosted Earthquakes on the sand, it can beat teams himself.

Top Bottom