• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Self-Help Thread of Epic Proportions!

Winnar

Smash Lord
>> Hey all, second post ftw. So after watching everything I could find on Fumi (among others) and reading as many Self-Help threads as possible, I've reached a couple of conclusions.

The first is that I'm very tired right now, as it's getting rather early for me. When I start using words that don't make sense or pull a Malapropism (I think that's what it's called, like saying "It's not really that big, you're exasturbating!" See? Instead of exaggerate, I put in exasturbate. LOL ENGLISH LESSON) make sure you let me know and together we'll try to figure out what I mean. D:

I've tried being Yoshi off an on for about about a month now, I give up about every other week, and despite the practice I put in with ECE's and other ledge based techniques, I always end up gimping my second jump and dying. It gets very frustrating, especially when this happens in a real match instead of just in training, and I end up just giving up on ECE's despite their incredible utility. I've kind of accepted that there's just no better way to get the hang of it than to practice it and die a million times; however, if there is a better way, feel free to share. I just realized practicing on Corneria may be the root of my troubles, so I'll have to get back to you guys on that issue.

My next problem is that my brother, who is practically the only other good smasher I know, mains as Doc and Fox. He's semi-pro with both, but he understands that a combo of 4 weaker moves guaranteed to connect often are better than 2 that have punishable lag. Basically my matches with his Doc flow like this: I try to set him up for any combo possible while dodging his pills, tilts, and blankets. Usually this doesn't last long, acting defensively or offensively does little for what happens next, he gets me in a tilt to shffl to blanket to u-tilt etc. combo until my DI finally kicks in at about 60-90%. This is when things get a little more even for us, as I can usually stay alive as Yoshi until about 200%. In any case, this situation always results in my losing the match with him having anywhere from 1 to all 4 lives left. He says it's just an unnaturally disadvantageous match-up for Yoshi, but I suspect my inexperience with the green dinosaur has more to do with it. Are there any useful tips for handling the Doc as Yoshi?

I'm not as worried about Fox, because I haven't had to go up against him much. What I am worried about is the DJC and RDJC consistently being the cause of my deaths. I'm starting to be more conservative about using them, and that works well to keep myself from getting gimped so much, but I now have very few options for damage. About the only time I can almost safely use the RDJC is when I wait until I will be above him, but that's a risk in and of itself. I see Fumi use the no-knockback of the second jump to take down shfflers, but every time I try to do that it seems like the framerate is off and I end up missing the nair or bair and jump all the way before I can realize that what I tried is about to get me gimped. Is there any way to help counter this double-edged sword?

Also while trying to practice ECE's I found something weird and probably pointless out. When you're doing your double jump if you hug the edge then you can waveland backwards when it looks like you can't. Doing it perfectly you'll fly off the edge, but in most cases you'll grab onto the ledge. Not sure if there's any real use for this, maybe if you know you're about to do it you can use the invincibility frames and the shawk of it all to your advantage? Who knows, maybe it's just another option to get back to the ledge, though I've yet to use it anywhere but on all of Corneria's ledges. Also it may not be smart to try to do that while they're edgeguarding. You decide!

So if you bothered to read all that, then I'm pretty impressed. Since I know only about 10 of you won't just skip over it and read the next couple of posts, I'll make a summary:

Summary: I'm new to Yoshi, despite all my best efforts I haven't been able to tap into Yoshi's amazing potential, Doc murders me, and I'm getting pretty discouraged. Without some help or advice I'll be forced to give up on Yoshi, and I don't want to do that. Help? :urg:

Hey Shiri, is this the kind of page long post you've been looking for? >.>;

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Hi, welcome to the yoshi brotherhood, Ill just get straight to the point :p

About ECE: the only way is to practise practise practise, just go infinite time on a stage and keep doing it till you get sick of it, then repeat when you feel like it again :p The easiest way for me to do it (I do it right in matches about 97% of the time now :p) is drop with control stick down, jump with x or y, and up-b

About Doc: His pills are a ***** >_< when I first started playing against decent Docs I got continually 2 or 3-stocked (surprisingly the 2 stock was versus the best doc in europe :p) he can just easily annoy the hell out of you with his pills, you get frustrated and you start making mistakes. Now after playing some more I do decnt versus Docs but theyr still a pain. Things that work for me are just simple DJC Nairs to go through pills, dashing away to Fsmash from dash attacks, RDJC Fairs to go over pills, Neutral B for surprise element and sometimes you can chain it, and of course versus every character in the game the juggle with ftilt/utilt/usmash/djc uair/eggs (although watch out when they realise they have a cape they can use, this can make spamming ECE also dangerous) crouch cancel to dsmash may work as well sometimes, just not against the dash attack I believe.

About DJC: To counterattack a shffl with a DJC aerial the timing is a bit tricky. If you press the a button the moment you get hit you will just as you said do a normal second jump, you just have to wait a bit longer with pressing a.

About the weird thing: Have to try that out for myself first, sounds like it could be a flashy edgeguard with a fair :)

Hope it helps a little :yoshi:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I, too, will try to be as concise as possible (fat chance of that happening).

Your start with Yoshi reminds me very much of my own. It can get exceptionally frustrating and I often said I'd quit him or the game altogether just to come crawling back days or weeks later, hahaha. My situation was different in that I was dying to characters and not necessarily to techniques. Well, I was dying to both, but it came down to which one got me frustrated. Sheik CG? Sure. Failed ECE? Well, that's my fault.

What I'm saying is, if you don't like how your technique is, then it's your job to get it to where you want it to be. If you want to be able to use ECE effectively but can't, then keep at it until you do. I know it sounds like a cop-out answer, but there really is no better way to put it. Now, if you're practicing wrong, which I don't think is possible, then try going to different stages or practice in training mode with the speed lowered or with the camera zoomed in a bit (or both).

As far as characters go, it's tough. I think--

Dangit, time to leave work. Uh...I'll be back later tonight to finish this. >_>;

Winnar

Smash Lord
Wow, that was a lot more informative than I expected <.< I thought I'd get a reply that'd say something like "Eh, maybe you just suck. I give up, it's not my problem." ... >.> I like the Yoshi forums <.< And don't worry about being concise *points to my two posts D:*

The most frustrating thing about losing so horribly with Yoshi is that I know he's ten times better than how I'm playing as him, but despite my best efforts he ends up losing worse than when I'm Pichu (which is really demoralizing). I mean, yeah, not being able to figure out the timing of ECE's and RECE's is annoying, but I know that will only come with time and practice. Just like how I couldn't figure out how to jump out of Fox's shine when I first started looking into SmashBoards, now it seems so simple to me. It's almost embarrassing. <<

On the subject of practicing ECE's, there are two places I've found that work better than Corneria and Final Destination. I found the first one by accident, it's the first Adventure Mode stage. After you kill the Yoshis (up-tilt ftw) then the stage gets platforms on the sides, plus you have the convenience of items raining down for when you get bored. Also there's the left house in Onett. Yeah, yeah there are cars there, but you aren't supposed to be falling, right? ;P Anyway, thought I'd throw that in there.

So I think I'll start trying out Yoshi again, my bro says that every time I keep getting better, but he may just be saying that so I won't stop trying and phailing. D: I can't figure it out with him though, he's so predictable when I'm Yoshi and yet I can't figure out how to use that predictability to my advantage. He's always either in the air doing some kind of shffl/pill or he is dashing attacking towards me. I have a hard time trying to figure out how to do that superpowershield thing where you jump out the next frame or so. I haven't practiced it much, but it seems like the reaction time you'd need for it would be ungodly. Then again the DSHL with Fox takes ridiculous timing. Then again, again I can't do the DSHL without two fingers... >>;;

Anyway, he's always in the air or dash attacking, I've tried up smashing him and egg tossing him but those have ridiculous lag and awkward hitboxes, so I use those sparingly. I would u-tilt more often, but it seems like its range is horrible and I can't find a good place to use it. That leaves me with shielding (which is even more limiting), running/dashdancing, sidestepping, CC'ing to d-tilt, d-smash or f-smash, DJC'ing into it and n-air/u-air'ing, and if I have time wavedashing. I think those are all of the possible options, but there's probably more (f-tilt, to clank into the dash attack and cancel lag, to f-smash?). Oh yeah, I can also lightshield, but usually he's using those small attacks so I don't move and if I wait for a heavier attack my shield will break. Most of those options either won't work consistently or don't really help me much, though. Is there any way to make those first three options work better?

I'll have to play him again and pay more attention to how he's combo'ing me so I can report back with better, more specific info >>

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. :p Thanks for the tips, btw :D

D: There's hardly any smashers in Mississippi, I can't wait for Brawl. >> Maybe one day...

:yoshi: FTW

Shiri

Smash Chump
Wow, that was a lot more informative than I expected <.< I thought I'd get a reply that'd say something like "Eh, maybe you just suck. I give up, it's not my problem." ... >.> I like the Yoshi forums <.<
:yoshi: Yoshi boards are amazing--don't act so surprised, LOL!~

The most frustrating thing about losing so horribly with Yoshi is that I know he's ten times better than how I'm playing as him...
Welcome to the story of my life. Keep it up, you can only really get better.

It really does take patience and a strong will to get better with this guy.

After you kill the Yoshis...
Traitor.

So I think I'll start trying out Yoshi again, my bro says that every time I keep getting better, but he may just be saying that so I won't stop trying and phailing. D:
I'll be really honest here, it's probably both the fact that you're getting better, but also him giving you the energy to keep on keeping on because you're not at that next level yet. Regardless of the reason, take the encouragement and keep in mind that at least one person is supporting you (not counting the entirety of the Yoshi boards ^_~).

I can't figure it out with him though, he's so predictable when I'm Yoshi and yet I can't figure out how to use that predictability to my advantage. He's always either in the air doing some kind of shffl/pill or he is dashing attacking towards me.
When it comes down to stuff like this, I end up getting hit by stuff until I decide that it's stupid enough and obvious enough for me to not get hit by it anymore and then I force myself to find a way around it. Experimentation is key here. So is a cool head, but you don't sound too hot-headed so you should be fine. ^_^

**has a bad habit of getting temper tantrums when he gets hit by stupid obvious things**

**has temper tantrums a lot**

I have a hard time trying to figure out how to do that superpowershield thing where you jump out the next frame or so. I haven't practiced it much, but it seems like the reaction time you'd need for it would be ungodly.
It's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Just try to get other basic parts of your game down first, as this is more of an advanced technical option that you won't get a chance to use if your basic game is not fully founded yet, which is a vibe I'm getting (that may or may not be true).

Anyway, he's always in the air or dash attacking, I've tried up smashing him and egg tossing him but those have ridiculous lag and awkward hitboxes, so I use those sparingly. I would u-tilt more often, but it seems like its range is horrible and I can't find a good place to use it.
Other players are free to refute me on this, as I suck major ballz against Marios, despite how easy I try to make the matchups sound.

First, I don't recommend tossing eggs as they're approaching in the air. Both Mario and Doctor Mario have ******** combo options against Yoshi if they land any aerial against him and egg tossing only increases your vulnerability.

As for up smash and up tilt, you may not be using them early enough. They look slow (especially up tilt), but they have awesome range and up tilt is actually quite fast. Try different timings to see what you can come up with. Also, WD back to CC into something or trying to space angled forward tilts Bringer-style can be hard, but if they work, much more rewarding.

Agreed.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Self-help thread?

Oxymoron?
Yeah, I guess it is now, but the two reasons I named it that were because I had a vision of it becoming a thread where nublets (not unlike myself) would ask questions, and we could all point to it and be like, "Check out the Self-Help thread before you ask any more questions." and then they'd be all, "But that's 402 pages long! How am I going to read all of it? D:" to which we would reply, "IDK, MY BFF, JILL?" which is when they'd laff and leave more confused than when they had come and then we'd publish the thread as a SELF-HELP book and we'd have huge run-on sentences interspersed with misspellings and other grammatical errors and we'd split the profits between so many people that no one would end up with more than a couple of dollars but then we pool it all and win the lottery and all of us end up rich again HOORAY! FOR THINKIN OF DA FUTURE!

ANNNNNNND it was pretty late when I made this thread. >>

:yoshi: Yoshi boards are amazing--don't act so surprised, LOL!~
LOL Yeah, I suppose they are, but my experience with asking for advice on forums has been...not so great << Especially smash related forums >>

Welcome to the story of my life. Keep it up, you can only really get better.

It really does take patience and a strong will to get better with this guy.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. In fact the reason I keep playing as Yoshi is because of those moments of pure unadulterated ownage that spews from the green (or in my case, dark blue) dino that make you think, "**** that was awesome, what if I did that the whole match?" Yoshi combo's are so much flashier and fun to watch than any other combo, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because they're so innovative? So foreign (exotic? Laff)?

When it comes down to stuff like this, I end up getting hit by stuff until I decide that it's stupid enough and obvious enough for me to not get hit by it anymore and then I force myself to find a way around it. Experimentation is key here. So is a cool head, but you don't sound too hot-headed so you should be fine. ^_^
>.> Hate to disappoint, but SSBM is one of the few places I allow myself to get frustrated. <.< I don't throw the controller and break something or anything (Well, maybe if I were to get 5 stocked when we only play with 4, but if that happened I'd probably just cry), but anxiety runs kind of high while I'm playing it. Well, I say that, but it doesn't really manifest itself until after the match is over. Also, that only seems to happen when I play my brother. Odd, huh? Maybe it's some kind of genetic rivalry? Who knows. The point is you're half right? I don't even know anymore D:

[Superpowershielding LOL forgot the name again] is not as bad as some people make it out to be. Just try to get other basic parts of your game down first, as this is more of an advanced technical option that you won't get a chance to use if your basic game is not fully founded yet, which is a vibe I'm getting (that may or may not be true).
You are correct, sir! Thanks for the tip on staying away from it for a while.

First, I don't recommend tossing eggs as they're approaching in the air. Both Mario and Doctor Mario have ******** combo options against Yoshi if they land any aerial against him and egg tossing only increases your vulnerability.

As for up smash and up tilt, you may not be using them early enough. They look slow (especially up tilt), but they have awesome range and up tilt is actually quite fast. Try different timings to see what you can come up with. Also, WD back to CC into something or trying to space angled forward tilts Bringer-style can be hard, but if they work, much more rewarding.
Yeah, I don't really use the egg toss since Doc's n-air outprioritizes it, only for the n-air to follow up outprioritizing my face. D:

So I tried the u-tilt, just for the hell of it, and I found it's much better than I gave it credit for. >> I got a u-tilt -> DJC u-air -> Up B out of it a couple times, so I'm happy with it. I also got similar results from the f-tilt, which I had forgotten about completely. He ended up two stocking me, then turned around and did the same as Fox. I don't really like Fox's u-air, especially in my bro's hands. D:

Hm...two other problems I have dealing with techniques are powershield reflecting projectiles and RECE'ing. The reflecting thing I'm not entirely sure how to do, so I'll just put what I gathered from Bringer's guide. Basically you have to crouch and wait for them to be directly above you to power-reflect them? I only have one person I know who plays as Samus, but it could be helpful since it sounds like Samus is a tough one to beat as Yoshi. D:

Also, RECE'ing is really odd for me. I'm getting better at it, but I don't know how. D: In Park's guide to RECE'ing, he (or possibly she, however unlikely) says that when you're on an edge to the right you press down-right, then rotate the stick clockwise to the up position then press B. That's all fine and good, but exactly how fast does all of this take place? Is it all happening in the same amount of time as a regular ECE? Or does it take a little longer?

Wow, I sure have a lot of questions. I hope I didn't scare people away. <<

And finally, since I feel like I have to put out something useful to somehow make this time I've made you guys spend worthwhile, I'll say something that may possibly be helpful! :D (Yayayayayy!!1!) Actually, I don't have any more tricks that I can think of. D: Maybe next time. *GAME OVER*

And ofc, :yoshi: FTW

Edit - Geez, this sure is a long post. Feel free to only answer one or two of my questions at a time, I don't mind. Anything helpful (or funny) is fine with me. ^^

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
If he's constantly attacking you from the air, throw him some back-airs when you see an opening.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wavedash back to forward smaaaaaaaaaash.

And yes those extra a's were necessary.

That will beat pill rushes and shffls. Shffls can also be beaten by a defensive RDJC n-air, as long as its not a shffl f-air. F-air either don't try to punish or get in early with f-tilt.

Crouch cancel is also uber, you can CC n-air to amazing %s sometimes.

You can also do jump backwards (fade back) f-air, as it will outprioritize him plenty and can go through pills too.

The only problem is, I can't help you with the 'having trouble with a better Doc' situation, as I have not really ever had trouble against Doc. I tend to play a defensive reactive game until I put them on the back foot, but I would never really say I've taken on a Doc that was a huge challenge, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Thanks for all the help and stuff D:

I'm steadily getting better, but I sure won't be maining as Yoshi for a while >.> Still, that green guy is hella fun :D

I don't get three stocked anymore, I'm getting better at not gimping myself, but there's still huge room for improvement. One day! :yoshi:

Winnar

Smash Lord
Wavedash back to forward smaaaaaaaaaash.
LOL, I had forgotten that you told me about that; I was pretty impressed with myself doing so much better thanks to that little trick. And yes, the a's are 100% necessary. J00 HELPD ME EVN NOWING THNXALOT! :D </nubspeek>

So I think you'll all be happy to know that I finally found out what I was doing so wrong. I was being stupid! I didn't even realize I was such an idiot until that moment!

The point is today I was losing pretty badly (again; 2 stocked a bunch of times), and I realized two things. One, I was only doing combo's once I got into the 90%'s; and two, I was doing incredibly stupid things. Stupid things include, but are not limited to, DJC/RDJC'ing into a b-air off the ledge, dash attacking into a shielded character, ECE'ing without five thousand hours of practice, recovering from the edge with the same thing almost every time, not DI'ing while being combo'd, thinking the combo's professionals pull off will work eventually if I try them enough times, almost completely relying on RDJC'd n-airs and b-airs to rack up damage, etc., etc., etc... If you find yourself doing any of these stupid things, stop immediately if not sooner!

So from now on my mantra is DON'T DO STUPID THINGS!

And oddly enough, it works!

Winnar

Smash Lord
:yoshi: Congratulations! ^_^
Why thank you :D

I doubt anyone else here is as stupid as I am, but hopefully this helped someone else as well :O

...:freak: Holy crap I thought I read these posts. Every "realization" I have comes from one of you guys. o_o That was my exact thought process. I thought, dash attacking into his shield is utterly stupid and pointless, I should stop doing it. And from there it snowballed.

*rereads entire thread* :newbie:

Top Bottom