• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A sad sad sad realization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the real power dolphin

Smash Rookie
I was talking to a few of my smash colleagues and we were talking about the subject of why people main low tier characters. We came to the conclusion that people main low tier chars. for a few reasons: 1. to excell in low tier tourneys 2. to challange themselves by playing an inferior character 3. attention and uniqueness.

Now, after coming to this judgment, I decided to make a bold statement. After much thought i came to the conclusion that, although this may be an unpopular statement, mario is the worst character to main, strictly in terms of the character itself, not one's skill. Actually i am a fan of mario in melee, but i still can't help to notice what i will call the "plight of Mario." He is the 2nd lowest of "high tier" characters meaning he can not be played in low tier tourneys, and quite frankly he is generally underpowered for a high tier character, and does not have as good matchups as other high tier characters. Bottom line maining mario does not give you a significant advantage in terms of low tier or uniqueness, and also does not give you the options or sheer character advantages that other high tier characters afford players. I'm not trying to dis mario, im just trying to point out an opinion of mine which I think has some valid reasoning behind it.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Well, some of us arn't non conformists and don't choose low tier just for the sake of attention, and some of us don't care like the high tier characters enough to main them.

Theres more to maining characters than popularity, conformity, and auto-winning.

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
Lol, ...Mario is supposed to be the middle man...which is why he's in the middle, dur. I find him easier to use than Doc because he can execute a bunch of quick little attacks. Plus, he's got the coolest taunt :p.

Mr.Talk

Smash Cadet
No mario is not the worst pick because of a few reasons

1. Not everybody looks at tiers as a godly source to what you should pick as your main. The main amount of people who don't care are the casual smash players which is in the majority of the smash players last time I checked

2. Tiers aren't there for picking mains only. It's there to show whos better based on tournaments that have been played. Really it's showing which character a majority has had more sucess with basically. When picking a main it needs to be their choice not tiers

3. Not a lot of people try to get attention for picking low tiers and I do know a few mario mains too.

ASP

Smash Apprentice
People don't pick mains to be "unique". So you use a low tier. Good for you. I know I picked my main because I had the most FUN using him.

Mario is just too awesome.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Bottom line maining mario does not give you a significant advantage in terms of low tier or uniqueness, and also does not give you the options or sheer character advantages that other high tier characters afford players.
Old news.

Mario is typically a very underrated character, and rightly so. Aside from his typical inability to KO (which everyone hates), his matchups in Top/Upper tier aren't great (Sheik, Marth, Peach, Samus), since Mario basically specializes in fastfallers. . .and even then, Flaco/Fox/Captain can give Mario a run for his money.

The only redeeming quality that he has is that he can combo reasonably well. Which isn't much compensation, since other upper/top tier character have equally effective and cool-looking combos (namely, Falcon and Flaco).

Most of us simply choose Mario because he's fun to play as. Personally, I like the way he handles. . .his general weight, falling speed, attack speed, and the way his combo routine flows. Yeah, he sucks, I know, but the way he handles is just enough incentive for me to look past his large, gaping, unavoidable, irritating, debilitating flaws.

The thing that annoys me most about low tier character mains, is if they play them for uniqueness. Unless they're actually really good with them.
All that "Low Tier Power/Pride" crap is...crap. lol

Your theory on Mario being the worst to main is bunk. He's awesome AND fuzzy. Shouldn't that make him the coolest character to main?

Fox and Sheik both IMO **** Mario, if played right. If you don't play Fox right, it's the other way around fo sho.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
playing a character because you like them i guess is impossible... *sigh* i guess i've wasted my entire smash life.
Seriously... Playing a character because you like them is IMPOSSIBLE. the real power dolphin is a genius and those are the only 3 reasons why anyone would play a low tier character.

the real power dolphin

Smash Rookie
Seriously... Playing a character because you like them is IMPOSSIBLE. the real power dolphin is a genius and those are the only 3 reasons why anyone would play a low tier character.
i really thank you for noticing froz3ntear.. lol

but i have some topics i must cover:

1:The thing that annoys me most about low tier character mains, is if they play them for uniqueness. Unless they're actually really good with them.
All that "Low Tier Power/Pride" crap is...crap. lol

Your theory on Mario being the worst to main is bunk. He's awesome AND fuzzy. Shouldn't that make him the coolest character to main?

^^MARIO IS NOT LOW TIER, THIS IS THE BASIS FOR MY ENTIRE POST!! even if you still get good with them, they are low tier for a reason, duh? either they have bad matchups or character flaws. my theory is compleletly sound, he is not good and is italian not fuzzy, my dog is fuzzy. and sadly coolness dosen't count for anything when your playing some one like m2k, im sure he will sit down and actually care that you main mario, and say to himself, oh this guy plays mario i should let him beat me.

2: Eh, doesn't mario have acceptable matchups with fox and sheik? Better than say, ganon or puff.

^^ no, he is good at comboing like malstrom said be the priority ***** the crap out of him and you can't forget they can string combos together too! and ganon is a great counter to peach, and jigs has good match ups against fast fallers and can w.o.p. basically any one (don't quote me on that)

and to repeat, mario is not low tier!

No one said He was low tier. Apparently you were to dumb to understand what I meant. I separated those sections of my post for a reason. I was on the topic of why ppl main low tier which you brought up in your first paragraph, so i brought it up in my first section.

then i said your theory on mario is dumb and shouldnt be posted cause no one cares lol.
who cares if hes average, lol. its dumb to main him for that reason...? like gimpy said, maining characters cause you like them is now dumb? maining them for other reasons like eggz does, because hes fuzzy and awesome. that may not count for much, but no one said it did lol. no one said they play mario cause hes good.

you and you smash colleagues can now come to a new conclusion that you guys shouldnt rule out any reasonings on the topic just to come up with some dumb conclusion. ie mario being a bad character to main because of reasons that dont matter.

so is it possible that poeple dont play him for fun? like how i play falcon? i dont play fox cause hes top tier, its cause he looks cool. mario cant be played cause of that?

Eggz

Smash Hero
SilentOttoWolf presented all the points I was going to. I think he should be warning for even implying that Mario isn't fuzzy. >=[

I play Mario cuz hes a big comboing fuzz machine.

He isn't even that bad either. If it wern't for his 4 terrible matchups, I think he could be right below CF. (In the tier list), but not enough people main him, so he can't be represented properly in the metagame.

And what was your point in bringing up m2k? It was just a bunch of ******** crap piled together. I couldn't read it. T_T

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
playing a character because you like them i guess is impossible... *sigh* i guess i've wasted my entire smash life.
Gimpy if you give up bowser, then the rest of us truly have no place left to go... you haven't wasted your life at all don't give up boozer will be top tier eventually :) :laugh: .

Mario's cool too i guess :p:psycho:

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
We came to the conclusion that people main low tier chars. for a few reasons: 1. to excell in low tier tourneys 2. to challange themselves by playing an inferior character 3. attention and uniqueness.
Or maybe they chose the character because they simply like playing as them...seriously, that's why I chose Game & Watch. He's my favorite character.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
For real what does it matter what people choose.Its a game you wont fail at life for picking a low tier character.You dont think they know that there chances are slimer for picking a low tier and sticking to it.

Second if someone wants to feel special for picking a low tier so be it.

The game is about counter picks and stages anyway.This game has all the nintendo character so its natural to chose to main your favorite if you want to.

If you want to move on and pick a different character you can do that to. :psycho:

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Brown Mario...

It's really a matter of do you want to win or have fun? A lot of player's already put themselves in the hole when they think "Well I'm playing a high tier character, I'm probably going to lose."
I bet Brown mario never thought this, neither should you. If you don't think you can win with Mario, odds are, you can't.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
why do we assume things about brown mario like that? haha i'm absolutely POSITIVE brownmario had thougsht regarding his character selection, and if a better character would make him more effective. for the love of all things good and holy I THINK THESE THINGS all the time! i LOVE bowser and i play him because he is my favorite, but i realize my chars limitations, i'm sure that the mario mains of the world realize his limitations (and in all honesty i think mario has a lot of untapped potential) but it all comes down to what fits you best.

if i could play fox as well as i could play bowser i'd be one of the top smashers, unfortunately for me (not really haha fox is no fun) fox doesn't fit my style in any way at all and i cant use him worth anything.

play for fun is all well and good, most people who say that aren't competitive. i play for fun, and i consider myself plenty competitive.

If you are good, you can owne with any character

Yeah.....about that...*ahem*

Uhh...

Anyway,yeah,Mario's an awsome character,it's just that he has some problems against the higher tiers,and the lack of mid percentage kill ability makes him as useful against a Falco as a quadriplegic is to a marathon. >_>

Even though,he has some sexy combo's and mindgames.

I use to be super optimistic about Mario,thinking that he had the potential to beat anyone,but after going to a few tournaments,optimism means nothing.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Every character has their problems. Sometimes I question my decision to continue maining Game & Watch. I picked up higher tier characters because I didn't think Game & Watch was good enough for tournaments. But eventually I decided that since Game & Watch is my favorite character and true main, I'm going to represent him to the best of my ability no matter how many shortcomings he has.

But I can't help but whip out Falco or Ice Climbers vs those really pesky opponents ;)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I picked my main (Who is Link) because I do better with than any other character I've tried playing with and he's very fun to play with. Have you ever stopped to think that some people just play better with certain characters?

I picked my main (Who is Link) because I do better with than any other character I've tried playing with and he's very fun to play with. Have you ever stopped to think that some people just play better with certain characters?
Like how Gimpy and Bowser work out. and Ganon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom