• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A reminder about the delay that all users should read.

NintendoGamer88

Smash Cadet
Does anyone here even remember life before E3 2007? Because as I recall, a vast majority of the internet was demanding things like a new trailer, release date, and new character to be revealed at the press conference. And even though we got a release date, a short gameplay clip, and a confirmed Veteran Fighter, everyone got pissed about "Brawl not being there in any form."

All video game companies are incredibly pressured by fans and the media to put up a date (and don't get me started on the pressure for new gameplay content because I swear that gamers nowadays want to have already beaten a game before the disc is even in their hands). Remember at E3 2006, when fans and media alike almost ripped Nintendo a new ******* for refusing to announce the Wii's release date? Or how about when Sony had to announce in 2005 that the PS3 would release right behind 360, just to keep their competitive edge? Sony simply couldn't fulfill the promise they were forced to make in order to deliver the quality (not by my standards) product they wanted and had to delay it a full year.

This is a lose-lose situation for game-makers. Either they wait to announce a release date until they have a solid date and get publicly ridiculed for not providing gamers with essential information OR they can announce a release date they cannot possibly make, thereby causing multiple delays, fan outrage, and bad publicity.

Gamers and gaming journalists need to realize that pressuring video game companies is very, VERY bad. By forcing them to say/do something they are not yet ready to announce/release, the end result is a happiness that is exceptionally short-lived, lingering frustrations from the eventual delay, and a lower quality product upon release.

We all must also realize that every delay has its purpose. Sometimes, we may not like that purpose (i.e. marketing or conflict with another title's sales), but 9 times out of 10, the delay results in a much better project as a whole. Japan's one week is just enough to prevent a major shortage of discs and fan outrage. NA's one month is enough to make sure no bugs make it through localization and lower the game's overall quality.

Summary: Fans and the media force gamemakers into a lose-lose situation. High expectations cause both premature release dates and delays. Outrage at a delay is completely counterproductive, paradoxical, and incredibly immature.

Summary's Summary: ANGRY YELLING AT NINTENDO DOES NOTHING. NINJAS. THOUSANDS OF THEM!!!

EDIT: I apologize for not mentioning this originally. I UNDERSTAND THAT DEVELOPERS ALWAYS SELECT A REASONABLE RELEASE DATE WHEN THEY CHOOSE TO MAKE THE ANNOUNCEMENT.

The point I am making here is that developers are pressured to make the ANNOUNCEMENT too early, especially for their AAA titles; therefore, it results in a release date that, while it may end up being final, is also exceptionally prone to delays.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Shut the hell up.

Just shut the hell up.

Who the hell are you to tell us what we can or can not do?

They didn't have to put the **** date at all; do you understand me? It is not because of pressure nonsense you baked up; they did it because they believed they would be done by that time.

Don't give me that **** that it is because of US that they can't get the product out on time.

courte

Smash Lord
hahaha Ah, Lavis you Fiend... brought a tear to my eye, that you did.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
sakurai posting here?

honestly i am about to say **** brawl, ignore it and stick with melee until the day i see a brawl copy at a store actually for sale... i believe delay's weren't actually sakurai's fault, but it was actually greedy nintendo's fault....

first delay was to clear mario galaxy's competition to have better sales, delay 2 is said (rumored) to be done because nintendo wants even MORE pre orders...

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Nintendo is a BUSINESS
plz keep that in mind
this isn't some wonderland b*******
They need to make money
It'll be out when it's out
Get over it
(well that felt good)

gnosis

Smash Lord
If they're somehow 'forced' to put out a release date, why does it have to be a date that they 'cannot possibly make'.

You left no allowance for, y'know, releasing a realistic date. You said game companies can either say nothing, or lie and say it's coming earlier than they know is possible.

Danon

Smash Apprentice
sakurai posting here?

honestly i am about to say **** brawl, ignore it and stick with melee until the day i see a brawl copy at a store actually for sale... i believe delay's weren't actually sakurai's fault, but it was actually greedy nintendo's fault....

first delay was to clear mario galaxy's competition to have better sales, delay 2 is said (rumored) to be done because nintendo wants even MORE pre orders...
Dude, what world do you live in? That is just pure ignorant whining.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
sakurai posting here?

Your loss.

Nintendo doesn't really care if a few people get turned off by the delay, because much more people will be turned on.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
So...why can't they say a date that plausible and then uber please fans and establish a good reputation by releasing it early?

You sir...are Captain Failcon.

NintendoGamer88

Smash Cadet
Wow, do I have my forums mixed up? Because these are the kind of responses I was expecting from GameFAQs.

a good gamemaker has to know what to do in pressured times
I agree. And I believe that, for the most part, Nintendo is able to do the right thing when pressured (i.e. Nintendo probably felt secure in the release date, but Sakurai ended up unhappy with the state of the game and, in Miyamoto fashion, upended the tea table for more time. Now, there appears to be a physical problem preventing us from getting the game on time.)

That doesn't change the fact the situation is lose-lose for ALL developers. Either way, fans get upset and try to pin the blame on Nintendo. What I'm suggesting that we, as a community, "man up" and accept some of the blame for these situations.

Shut the hell up.

Just shut the hell up.

Who the hell are you to tell us what we can or can not do?

They didn't have to put the **** date at all; do you understand me? It is not because of pressure nonsense you baked up; they did it because they believed they would be done by that time.

Don't give me that **** that it is because of US that they can't get the product out on time.
[/ANGST]

Yes, Nintendo probably thought they could finish by that time, as they have shown that they can overcome the pressure when needed to (i.e. the Wii's release date announcement).

But I go back to my very first comment. Remember right after E3 2007? Many people complained how all Nintendo gave us was Brawl and Galaxy release dates, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Fit. Nintendo knew it had high expectations going in to the press conference, and was under pressure to stay on top, so one thing it decided to announce was a reasonable release date. In all reality, however, June is probably a little soon to announce for December, and it would have been wiser to wait a few months with a 12/3 release date in mind and then decide if it really was possible in October. (I personally would have done the same with Galaxy, but that worked out fine.)

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Sorry man,even I cant b'itch the 1st time a game recieves a delay.Because generally a early delay annoucement gives signs that a game is clearly in delevopment and they ran into problems thats nulifies the game getting completed on task.Therefore in that case,I agree with ya.Leaving room for the saying "human error is unavoidable".Thats why I give them a chance if they slip up.

But however,when you have a game thats been halted mulitple times such have Smash Brawl did,in cases where its inexcusable,sorry,I have to disagree.Cuz if they announce a date man,a (Feb 10,2008) one,they should stay by it.You may not realize it but people actucally do make plans to purchase the games they really want.Especially those with tight schedludes with school,college,work,whatever may be the case.Delays only case annoyance for those who like to keep tack of things ahead of time.Hell,sometimes causing them to play other games and not caring if that specific title keeps getting held back comes out eventually.Peoples patience/lives only last so long.Also some people wont even get to play it because damm,you arent promised tommorow.I could be dead tommorow,Mic 128,Gimpyfish,anybody.Scary thought but its true.

IMHO tho,if Nintendo isnt sure on meeting a specific date or not,they shouldnt post dates at all.A time frame on which the game could be release would be craploads better than anything specific.For example,there is nothing wrong with them saying "March-June 08"
Cuz that way,we can tell that the game can come out at anytime within those months(unless said otherwise),so I can plan ahead and if it doesnt show up 1 month,then I have no reason to whine because I still have April and May and such.

But stating specific dates and not living up to it makes it very hard to trust a company apond the next announcment..

Fats McRobot

Smash Cadet
Fail for imitating a useful topic. While you may be right, you're pissing off more people than you're actually helping.

NintendoGamer88

Smash Cadet
Dragonboy2k4

I believe that Nintendo would not perform a simple 1 month delay unless there was a physical reason that prevented them from achieving the release date. Had the delay been longer, it would have been to add even more content, but short delays always seem to be caused by physical problems.

Had Nintendo not chosen an exact date after they had already chosen a date once for a AAA-title, it shows a such internal indecisiveness that it would be marketing suicide. Had Nintendo chosen something vague (even Q1 2008), that would be interpreted by the media and fans as Nintendo no longer having any security on when exactly the game will come out, causing massive panic that Brawl would end up being delayed one full year or more.

I've seen this once before, for Twilight Princess. TSA had leaked a November 15, 2005 release date, when a month later, the game was delayed until at least Q2 2006. Fear and rumors spread that the game would be switched to the Revolution, and not come out until the end of the year. For the most part, those rumors ended up being correct.

NintendoGamer88

Smash Cadet
Fail for imitating a useful topic. While you may be right, you're pissing off more people than you're actually helping.
Which topic? If you can't tell by that thing (see below) this website isn't my "home" on the internet.
<--------------------------

I actually visit GameFAQs most frequently. This topic was originally a response to someone, but I thought it would be useful here also, so I changed it to fit.

Also, failing someone is infinitely less helpful than trying to promote a discussion, even if it does become argumentative. As long as the people invloved stay above flaming, I have always found the discussion to be extremely enjoyable.

P.S. And before anyone makes a cheapshot about me being a GameFAQer, I do realize how stupid that place can be. And I make every effort to never be a part of that GFer stereotype. But I like that place much more because I've seen that site at it's very best, and it's far better IMO than what I've seen this place offer. No offense.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Dragonboy2k4

I believe that Nintendo would not perform a simple 1 month delay unless there was a physical reason that prevented them from achieving the release date. Had the delay been longer, it would have been to add even more content, but short delays always seem to be caused by physical problems.

Had Nintendo not chosen an exact date after they had already chosen a date once for a AAA-title, it shows a such internal indecisiveness that it would be marketing suicide. Had Nintendo chosen something vague (even Q1 2008), that would be interpreted by the media and fans as Nintendo no longer having any security on when exactly the game will come out, causing massive panic that Brawl would end up being delayed one full year or more.

I've seen this once before, for Twilight Princess. TSA had leaked a November 15, 2005 release date, when a month later, the game was delayed until at least Q2 2006. Fear and rumors spread that the game would be switched to the Revolution, and not come out until the end of the year. For the most part, those rumors ended up being correct.

But do they even have to say Q1 2008? If not,saying June-Aug like some maginze articles do would actucally shut the media up.Because lets face it,they are already being decisive anyhow with specific dates and not making them.

TP was build with the GC in mind but was changed due to the Wii lacking a AAA title at launch.And the Wii is similar to the mappings and such on the GC anyway so they just ported over and combined them with the features we all know and love.Not the case with Smash Brawl however,as its been made with the same Dev kits as Melee but far from being any port,because its a new game.

And I dont see how it would be suicide if the same thing happened with TP.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
Sorry man,even I cant b'itch the 1st time a game recieves a delay.Because generally a early delay annoucement gives signs that a game is clearly in delevopment and they ran into problems thats nulifies the game getting completed on task.Therefore in that case,I agree with ya.Leaving room for the saying "human error is unavoidable".Thats why I give them a chance if they slip up.

But however,when you have a game thats been halted mulitple times such have Smash Brawl did,in cases where its inexcusable,sorry,I have to disagree.Cuz if they announce a date man,a (Feb 10,2008) one,they should stay by it.You may not realize it but people actucally do make plans to purchase the games they really want.Especially those with tight schedludes with school,college,work,whatever may be the case.Delays only case annoyance for those who like to keep tack of things ahead of time.Hell,sometimes causing them to play other games and not caring if that specific title keeps getting held back comes out eventually.Peoples patience/lives only last so long.Also some people wont even get to play it because damm,you arent promised tommorow.I could be dead tommorow,Mic 128,Gimpyfish,anybody.Scary thought but its true.

IMHO tho,if Nintendo isnt sure on meeting a specific date or not,they shouldnt post dates at all.A time frame on which the game could be release would be craploads better than anything specific.For example,there is nothing wrong with them saying "March-June 08"
Cuz that way,we can tell that the game can come out at anytime within those months(unless said otherwise),so I can plan ahead and if it doesnt show up 1 month,then I have no reason to whine because I still have April and May and such.

But stating specific dates and not living up to it makes it very hard to trust a company apond the next announcment..
You win the internets. Quoted because this is exactly what I was thinking, 100%.

Okysho

Smash Ace
if they're so pressured about release dates, why do they plant false hope in saying that they games will be released so close to the date that they're doing the interview? (from august to december isn't that long... considering the release date is pushed to March... Quote Reggie, "Not next year, not next spring..." MOST DEFINITELY NEXT SPRING NOW!!!

NintendoGamer88

Smash Cadet
if they're so pressured about release dates, why do they plant false hope in saying that they games will be released so close to the date that they're doing the interview? (from august to december isn't that long... considering the release date is pushed to March... Quote Reggie, "Not next year, not next spring..." MOST DEFINITELY NEXT SPRING NOW!!!
PR

They have to maintain the release date until a delay is OFFICIAL.

P.S. Reggie's quote was made in JUNE at E3. The delay was not decided until October.

Top Bottom