• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A real world guy who happens to smash too

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
I'm throwing this post out there to see if other competitive smashers can relate to me on this. I happen to be someone who has a lot of responsibilities and ambitions in life, I even happen to be self employed which I guess makes me different from most. I've asked myself often why I put in the time to practice and play so much smash when I should seemingly be using that time elsewhere. The answer I always find is because I simply love the game and find it worthwhile to meet people through the competitive scene. That said I'm just kind of curious what other people have to say about how and why they choose to balance smash with all the other aspects and responsibilities of their lives. Thoughts?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I just get everything I have to get done for the day done, then I do whatever, which may include Smash.

It's tempting to play/slack more, but I'm not 14 anymore with stupid homework assignments that don't actually matter if I don't compere then. I just make sure that because of this, my practice is far more focused than the 5 hour directionless grindfests of yesteryear.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Honestly it's just a discipline thing. You need to get what you need done before you play. Unless you plan on becoming a pro player and it being an occupation for you, you need to get your priorities straight.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Unless you plan on becoming a pro player and it being an occupation for you, you need to get your priorities straight.
Even then, Smash isn't really at the point where it can be a viable career. Maybe if you're the absolute best, but that's too much of a long shot lol.

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
I mean no doubt about that. Trust me I have plenty to do in my day before I can even think about touching a controller. I was more so curious about why other people find it worthwhile.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I mean no doubt about that. Trust me I have plenty to do in my day before I can even think about touching a controller. I was more so curious about why other people find it worthwhile.
They want to be good, or be the best, and they enjoy the game. Money just brings out the more intense competitive side of them.

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
I can relate completely! I'm 20, engaged, have a 3-month old daughter and i work 5 days a week from 10-7. I'm renting an apartment with only my income, paying off a car and still having all the amenities like internet, cable, etc. But yet on my time off from caring for my family and working i ALWAYS spend it playing Smash Bros. I agree that it's for the love of the game. There's just something about Smash that makes you just wanna train so much harder EVEN if you have a busy schedule.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Same reason why people play video games, because they enjoy it.
Whether you're practicing for competitive play, or just playing casually, you're playing it for fun.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm in my final year of college, working on my final year project, aiming to get a degree as an English major / Philosophy minor and intend to work my way towards a PhD and become a successful and prolific author in future.

Smash doesn't really get separated from that. Strange as it may sound for some, Smash not only helps me relax and associate with my friends and family, but it often serves as a catalyst for my own intentions.

Need to write an essay? Casual Smash to get pumped and help the creative juices flow.

Story time? Watch the movements of my favourite Smashers and listen to the soundtrack for a while.

Vidya in general, Smash in particular amongst them, have helped shape me as a person and allowed to me to figure out what I want to do to that end.

Smash is pretty important to me. I am who I am and I do what I do thanks in no small part to vidya and Smash.

Top Bottom