• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A question about people failing to recover against Flamethrower.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
I am aware of four characters in the cast who can legitimately fail to recover upon being edgeguarded by Charizard's Flamethrower: ROB (Flamethrower can prevent him from reaching the ledge with Up B until his fuel runs out), Diddy Kong (Flamethrower can destroy his jetpack), Villager (pop their balloons) and Yoshi (flinch him out of the end of his second jump/Egg Toss).

Now, the thing I am curious about is this: I, and I am sure many of you have played matches where the other player just... fails to return to the stage upon having their recovery interrupted by Charizard's Flamethrower, like at the end of this video. You guys have probably done this a lot against Little Mac and Ness especially in high-lag environments. I play Charizard extremely often, but actually have very little experience playing against an opposing Charizard, let alone one who edgeguards with Flamethrower the way I do, so there is something I cannot tell from countless of my opponents' perspective. So what I wish to know is that, aside from the situations involving ROB, Diddy Kong, Villager and Yoshi I mentioned, whether or not the countless instances of my opponent failing to recover upon being hit by my Flamethrower occurred as a direct result of a mistake made by my opponent in recovering (in other words, they shouldn't have failed to recover in all of those instances, but did so either because of lag or because they didn't react quickly enough) or if there are actually some situations in which it is, according to frame data, absolutely impossible to recover upon being edgeguarded by Flamethrower. I have prevented so many Little Mac, Nesses, Captain Falcons, Ganondorfs, and a lot more from returning the stage by hitting them with Flamethrower as they are recovering. Were all of these gimps mistakes on my opponents' part, or is it truly impossible to recover in some cases? Also, in the video I linked to, was it possible for Link to recover at the end?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Flamethrower also wrecks :4bowserjr: if you hit him with the edge of it.

And Flamethrower does push people back slightly so if you angle it correctly, it can push them towards to bottom making it harder to recover.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Some cases it is impossible to recover like what happened to Link in your video.
As Swampasaur already mentioned, if you can manage to touch them with the tip of the flamethrower at the right angle they'll be pushed back just enough so they can't reach the ledge. This is assuming that your opponent has already used his second jump. Like the Link in your video. :)
If you want to be risky and take this flamethrower gimping to the next level then you can jump off the ledge and flamethrower to try and get your opponent during their second jump. If you do it correctly it's basically like your opponent having no second jump at all. I've gimped a Mario by doing this.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
If you want to be risky and take this flamethrower gimping to the next level then you can jump off the ledge and flamethrower to try and get your opponent during their second jump. If you do it correctly it's basically like your opponent having no second jump at all. I've gimped a Mario by doing this.
Wow, I've never thought of doing this! Thank you, I know what I'll be practicing for awhile :p

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Might take some practice, but sound very useful!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I think the Link could have recovered there, it was just lag/not fast enough input into the next Up B. He would have been hit by Flamethrower again but it would have given him his Up B back to try again and again til the Flamethrower ran down too much. Really, all you need to do is mash Up B as most characters to make it back. If you look closely, the Link was out of hitstun far, far before he tried to recover (like, almost a full second)

Last edited:
Top Bottom