• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Proposition on names for SSB4 (Wii U and 3DS)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We all know this simple fact since SSB4 was announced at E3 2013,
The upcoming Smash games appear to have no official names other than 3DS and Wii U. So while reading this thread, and reading Robert Frost's "Fire and Ice", I came up with an idea.

Why not call each version Ice (Wii U) and Fire (3DS)? This would satisfy some player's want for a name for each game, while giving a quicker reference to each version. Of course, this is completely unnecessary, SSB4 would be fine, but in my opinion, Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS is a little more awkward.

What do you think about these fan names? Have any ideas of your own? Should the games even have names? Discuss here, and post away!

Last edited:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I'd rather "Hot" and "Cool". :p
Though I really don't think the names will be changing.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
People who want an official name fail to realize that the current one is a clever double entendre.

Smash 4 (for) Wii U
Smash 4 (for) 3DS

There's no need for a change, it's perfect.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like Universe for the Wii U version.

I got nothing for 3DS though. 3D Strikes? I dunno.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Like I said, it's not needed at all, but just a suggestion.

Marxl141

Smash Rookie
Remember when everyone thought it was Super Smash Bros. Strife? Hahaha no it's fine the way it is.

ryuu seika

Smash Master

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Usually when talking about Universe for the Wii-U, most people go with Dimensions for the 3DS.
So 3-Dimensional Strife might work.

Keep in mind I like Universe, but it had nothing to do with the nickname people assigned to the 3DS version based upon Universe. They're both location/world-based, so I can see why the nickname came up. Never mind what 3D stands for. :p

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Universe and Dimensions for the Wii U and 3DS respectively is also a cool idea. Since the direction of talk seems to be going in discussing a name for the games, I'm going to change the OP.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
The name is fine with me. Though it is a little boring its fine with me Nintendo has always had a thing for naming games after the system they're on.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The name is fine with me. Though it is a little boring its fine with me Nintendo has always had a thing for naming games after the system they're on.
I'm pretty sure that was Sakuria's decision, not Nintendo's?

That said, it works. The For = 4 joke helps make it even a better naming scheme.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I'm partial to Super Smash Clash. The fan base could call it Clash and/or SSB4. It just feels weird not having the option to call a Smash game by its sub-name (like Melee and Brawl).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm partial to Super Smash Clash. The fan base could call it Clash and/or SSB4. It just feels weird not having the option to call a Smash game by its sub-name (like Melee and Brawl).
I agree, but people also refer to SSB as Smash 64, but most aren't still playing that even though it's getting popular.

But I'd still like to see fan names for each version.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I agree, but people also refer to SSB as Smash 64, but most aren't still playing that even though it's getting popular.

But I'd still like to see fan names for each version.
Very true, but the first one and didn't need a sub-name because it was by itself at the time; it's different now that there's more.

"Bro, you wanna play Clash?!" sounds much better than "Bro, you wanna play Super Smash Bros. 4?!" It's nit-picky of me more than anything to desire a sub-name. I'll probably end up calling it "Smash 4" when I say it out loud.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Very true, but the first one and didn't need a sub-name because it was by itself at the time; it's different now that there's more.

"Bro, you wanna play Clash?!" sounds much better than "Bro, you wanna play Super Smash Bros. 4?!" It's nit-picky of me more than anything to desire a sub-name. I'll probably end up calling it "Smash 4" when I say it out loud.
I always type "Sm4sh" when talking about... well... Sm4sh xD Among my friends, we just say "Smash".

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I really wish they gave it a subtitle so I don't have to call it smfoursh like a ******

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
I really wish they gave it a subtitle so I don't have to call it smfoursh like a ******
They do have subtitles!

"Hey buddy, you wanna come over and play For 3DS?"

Works for me!

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I think it would be nice if they were called 'Smash Bros 4 3DS' and 'Smash Bros 4 Wii U'
Yeah, with the number 4 in the logo instead of the word 'for'
They sound the same, yet it looks cooler.

The fire and ice idea sounds very good tough.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The 3DS one should be New Super Smash Bros., because we all know how Nintendo likes to slap "New" on something and pass it off as a new game!
Amiright New Super Mario Bros and Yoshi's New Island?

Inb4 New Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

Last edited:
Top Bottom