• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A possible method of finding out who you're playing with in With Anyone mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sultanofsurreal

Smash Cadet
I saw this posted in another thread, but this method is so brilliant that it deserves its own. I can't take credit for the general idea, but I have tweaked it a little bit. Hopefully this will help us **** some children meet new Smash players who play on our skill level.

The main problem in With Anyone is the total lack of ability to communicate. There is no way to send a text message of any kind and the players do not know who each other are. This means that you will basically have to communicate in a sort of morse code. It works like this.

The player who decides to send the message should find a moment when gameplay is a little less hectic. At this point he should perform all three taunts in quick succession. This is the signal to the other player that he wants to trade friend codes. The ideal time to start would probably be just after KOing the opponent.

For every number in the sender's friend code, he should single-jump that many times. For example, if the code begins 8772, he would jump 8, 7, 7, and then 2 times. To signify the end of a number and the beginning of a new one, shield before jumping again.

After you are finished, give all three taunts to signify that you're done.

The other player now has two options.
1) he can repeat the process with his friend code
2) He can shield twice to signify that he didn't get it. This means you'll have to repeat the message (if you're not bored and decide to just give up).

If he goes with option one, he should still begin by taunting three times and end with the same. When he's done, player one has two options:
1) he can jump and air dodge to signify that he is completely done with both messages
2) he can shield twice to signify that he didn't get it, thus asking player two to repeat the message.

When player one air dodges, player two can air dodge too, assuming player two has gotten and understood both messages as well. This is the end of the message sending and both players are free to return to playing.

Should one of the people sending a message make a mistake, given the nature of With Anyone mode, the only tenable solution is for that player to start completely over. Ground dodge to signify that you've made a mistake and are sending the friend code again.

Obviously, this method has some fairly large limitations:

1. It won't work unless both players know how to do it. If you're playing against some random person from Iowa who has never seen this method, you're basically allowing them a free hit during the time you're taunting. You'll have to accept that this will not work all the time, and be willing to take that hit.

2. It won't work during short timed brawls. There's no way around this fact, the process is very long. Just play stock, it's better anyway.

3. It won't work on scrolling stages. This is a rather large problem, as a good deal of stages scroll or generally become hazardous in some way.

4. It probably won't work during brawls with three or four players. First of all, the first person to send the message would have to get three taunts in before he's hit -- not likely. And then all the other players would need to know what's going on, which is much less likely than just one knowing the system. Finally, you might end up with some really sucky player on your friends list when you only wanted to send the code to a different, better player.

5. It's tedious. This is a GIGANTIC concern of mine, and I'm sure of everyone. This is a process that could take upwards of ten minutes if people need to restart or ask for repetition. And there's still no guarantee that the messages were sent and understood perfectly until the friend codes are actually added by both people.

Even with all of these limitations, I still think that this is the best way to communicate with someone over Brawl's With Anyone mode -- I see no other alternative. And if this spreads, more people will know about it. The more people that know about it, the more likely it is to work when you try it.

But of course, if you have any suggestions to streamlining this process, they would be appreciated.

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about something like that a few weeks ago, but I decided it's just way too much work. By the time you play with them for a little while and realize they're near your skill level, the time is almost up and you don't have time to "exchange" FCs. Either that or they have no idea why you keep taunting and jumping so they keep attacking you.

Interesting idea, but I don't see it happening, sorry.

DiscoShark

Smash Apprentice
The main problem that I can see (which you mentioned) is with of course the amount of people knowing about this process. Don't get me wrong, this might indeed be the best way to communicate a system such as this while in-game but I don't think it'll replace just adding random people in an IRC channel...

Christ, if only Nintendo let us use our taunts during a match, I'd have my friend code set as one of them

D:

dragonairex

Smash Apprentice
nice point
so should everybody going online wanting to get friend codes choose a specific stage ?
say the battle field ?
Or something like that ?

sirmackerel

Smash Apprentice
This is clever and all, but most people will probably end up arranging matches through message boards and online and filling their friend code list up that way. :/

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
It's a good idea, although;

Wouldn't it be easier to duck a certain amount of times, THEN sheild? Instead of jumping? It would take much quicker.

Although considering only a portion even of the Smash Bros community will even be aware of this method, it'll be very unlikely to find someone who

- Knows the method
- Isn't someone you could contact easily on SWF or likewise Smash community.

sultanofsurreal

Smash Cadet
its the EXACT same as the other thread, LOCK
SWF's search function is a nightmare... I had seen a very similar idea buried in a different thread and wasn't able to find it in its own. If it has its own thread, I guess I apologize. Worth reminding people of this close to the release date, though.

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't it be easier to crouch or something instead of jumping?
EDIT: Wow someone same idea already.^

BTW, back when I played Metroid Hunters, every match I would try to use the method of communicating, but never found a single person who understood what I was doing.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people have thought of similar methods, but its way too complicated. Its easier to get friend codes through forums. Friend code threads will spring up once the game is released, and theyll be broken up by region. Just wait and see.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Yeah, this totally makes sense...while you're trying to input this "code," someone totally oblivious to it could just be whooping you.

There will be friend codes listed on forums for a reason, really.

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
well we could make a system to figure out a player number, like a huge list on wiki, where you can search for a specific number that someone justified. like the fist number could be 1000, then 2000, 3000, 4000, and the combinations would get more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom