• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Petition to name a Zelda NPC after Robin Williams has been Spotted

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I would call this a shameless promotion if RW was still alive.

I really would like this to happen considering he had the audacity to name his daughter after the same series.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I think this is just a knockoff of the petition to make a WoW NPC, and has a lot less chance of going through.

I would call this a shameless promotion if RW was still alive.

I really would like this to happen considering he had the audacity to name his daughter after the same series.
You are aware that Zelda is an actual name?

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, WoW is going to have a Robin Williams NPC (don't know if it'll be his likeness, an NPC named Robin Williams, or both), since he was shown to have been a really big fan and player of the game, and a known troll, if memory serves me well.

For Nintendo to add either his likeness, an NPC named after him, or both wouldn't be tasteless, since Williams and his daughter (who he named after the titular princess) were avid fans of the series. They appeared in a commercial for Ocarina of Time 3D for crying out loud.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Zelda Williams is still being used for promotion by Nintendo, it seems (she was at the Smash Direct and came out with a Majora's Mask). If anything, Nintendo should get her permission first.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I didn't realize Zelda Williams was, well, Zelda Williams. I don't pay any attention to celebrities and actors and their families. It's not something I care to care about.

My initial reaction upon reading the thread title was, "I hope they don't do that"; then, "even if they did I would not care."

I say, put Zelda Williams in the game as an NPC. She's still alive. She still has a life and legacy to build. We shouldn't romanticize and glorify people who end themselves, and especially in a video game that children will be playing. WoW will do what they want. No one but the addicts take WoW seriously anymore. Nintendo still has a reputation. Standards. Putting dead Hollywood stars in Zelda games is a bit beneath them, I would think. But you know, if they do it, good. I hope they do a good job. I hope it is done tastefully and is a very subtle and downplayed Easter Egg, and not a front-and-center thing.

Has anyone stopped to ask what video games might have done to contribute to his depression? Maybe his family resented his gaming time? Do we know yay or nay on that? What if the whole thing just sat sour with Robin's family?

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I think it'd be nice if they at least use a famous quote or two of his. I also don't think adding an NPC named Robin would be a big deal.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I didn't realize Zelda Williams was, well, Zelda Williams. I don't pay any attention to celebrities and actors and their families. It's not something I care to care about.

My initial reaction upon reading the thread title was, "I hope they don't do that"; then, "even if they did I would not care."

I say, put Zelda Williams in the game as an NPC. She's still alive. She still has a life and legacy to build. We shouldn't romanticize and glorify people who end themselves, and especially in a video game that children will be playing. WoW will do what they want. No one but the addicts take WoW seriously anymore. Nintendo still has a reputation. Standards. Putting dead Hollywood stars in Zelda games is a bit beneath them, I would think. But you know, if they do it, good. I hope they do a good job. I hope it is done tastefully and is a very subtle and downplayed Easter Egg, and not a front-and-center thing.

Has anyone stopped to ask what video games might have done to contribute to his depression? Maybe his family resented his gaming time? Do we know yay or nay on that? What if the whole thing just sat sour with Robin's family?
...are you ****ing serious?!

1. Robin Williams showed strong evidence of having Parkinson's Disease at the time of his death, which is directly linked to causing depression. tl;dr: The cause is known.

2. " We shouldn't romanticize and glorify people who end themselves"? W R O N G. We shouldn't romanticize and glorify the act of suicide. Suffering from it is a tragedy to be mourned, not a crime to be ostracized for.

I was going to be a lot less civil about this than I'm being right now. As someone who suffers from serious chronic depression myself, you've stepped into very, very dangerous territory.

Last edited:

CoBam

Smash Rookie
While I think it would be cool, I highly doubt Nintendo would do this. I mean he worked in advertising for Nintendo of America, but was he even known in Japan?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I signed the petition. This is a "why not" thing we are asking Nintendo for. I mean, it's not like aren't known to nod to cultural figures or celebrities before and Robin was very much a fan of the Zelda series.

As for the Wow petition for the same purpose nullifying this one, I got a GIF for you:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Now that I've calmed down, I'd like to point this out: https://news.yahoo.com/nintendo-responds-petition-robin-williams-051127322.html

"Robin Williams was loved at Nintendo." offered a Nintendo spokesperson. "Our hearts go out to his entire family, and especially to Zelda Williams who we've worked with multiple times.

"We appreciate the outpouring of support from the gaming community, and hear the request of fans to honor him in a future game. We will not be discussing what might be possible for future games during this difficult time, but we will hold our memories of Robin close."

So basically their stance seems to be, "We do appreciate him, but we're not giving out any info on future content."

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
...are you ****ing serious?!

1. Robin Williams showed strong evidence of having Parkinson's Disease at the time of his death, which is directly linked to causing depression. tl;dr: The cause is known.

2. " We shouldn't romanticize and glorify people who end themselves"? W R O N G. We shouldn't romanticize and glorify the act of suicide. Suffering from it is a tragedy to be mourned, not a crime to be ostracized for.

I was going to be a lot less civil about this than I'm being right now. As someone who suffers from serious chronic depression myself, you've stepped into very, very dangerous territory.
Whatever, man. This has nothing to do with your personal problems. You want to lash out at me a bit? Why don't you get your emotions under control.

Depression sucks. I've been depressed before. Most people have. If you've been depressed 12 more days than I have been, let's say, does that somehow make you such an expert on emotional pain that I am not allowed to discuss it in your presence? Stop taking off-handed comments personally.

I personally don't feel like someone who took their own life needs to be celebrated. At all. That's my personal view. If it bothers you, I won't bother discussing it much more, but I have the right to hold that view and to talk to others about what I feel is right. If you are just so... butthurt, then you could have just PM'd me and asked me to understand your situation. This could have been an instance of relationship building, rather than trying to do as much damage to me as you could to pay me back for whatever you perceived I did to you or your ego. Heck, I've made your same mistake myself, not too long ago. Everyone has a bad day. I'm not upset and I really don't care if Nintendo builds him a golden shrine or what. I wouldn't, but maybe they want to. Up to them.

If you feel the need to continue this, PM me. Lash out at me again and I'll just start reporting you to the staff.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I want to say that I feel I have been a little cold, and a little too snarky, and that I'm sorry about that.

The reason I'm against celebrating people who commit suicide is a personal thing. It's not really based so much in logic or religion, though that is part of who I am. No, I feel that way because I know what I'm like, and I know why I usually want to kill myself. For a lot of people it's a selfish and cowardly thing. For some it's not, but that's why I feel the way I do.

I don't try to kill myself. I've found a new reason to live, to keep on, no matter what.

I know Smashboards isn't my blog, but I just realized some people saw things in my post that I couldn't see, so I wanted to apologize and set the record straight.

Still not keen on Mr. Williams being in Zelda, really, but like I said: if they do it, I just hope they do it right and don't overdo it or say the wrong kind of things.

Booster

Smash Lord
Nintendo acknowledged the petition and said "We have no announced plans" so odds are Robin Williams' Likeness will be used for a NPC or his name. Some people like to think Nintendo will name the old man in the cave who gives Link his sword in the first Zelda "Robin Williams", which would make sense, that old man doesn't have a name yet and has a big beard like Santa Robin Williams did, but I'd prefer a newer NPC being named Robin/Robin Williams

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Most Zelda characters don't even have last names. I think "Robin" would more than suffice, since every two-bit website from Yahoo to the Onion is going to want to do articles on it.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Whatever, man. This has nothing to do with your personal problems. You want to lash out at me a bit? Why don't you get your emotions under control.

Depression sucks. I've been depressed before. Most people have. If you've been depressed 12 more days than I have been, let's say, does that somehow make you such an expert on emotional pain that I am not allowed to discuss it in your presence? Stop taking off-handed comments personally.

I personally don't feel like someone who took their own life needs to be celebrated. At all. That's my personal view. If it bothers you, I won't bother discussing it much more, but I have the right to hold that view and to talk to others about what I feel is right. If you are just so... butthurt, then you could have just PM'd me and asked me to understand your situation. This could have been an instance of relationship building, rather than trying to do as much damage to me as you could to pay me back for whatever you perceived I did to you or your ego. Heck, I've made your same mistake myself, not too long ago. Everyone has a bad day. I'm not upset and I really don't care if Nintendo builds him a golden shrine or what. I wouldn't, but maybe they want to. Up to them.

If you feel the need to continue this, PM me. Lash out at me again and I'll just start reporting you to the staff.
Clinical depression is not the same thing as feeling sad some days. It's toxic and harmful to downplay the experiences of someone with a mental illness because "Everyone has bad days!" especially when that illness took their life, oh God, what is wrong with you.

By the way, telling people not to be emotional in the face of a very emotional issue is insensitive and makes it seem like you don't have an actual argument. And maybe not say "I have a right to say what I want!" and "If you reply to my post I will report you to the staff," in the same paragraph it's kind of hypocritical.

The reason I'm against celebrating people who commit suicide is a personal thing. It's not really based so much in logic or religion, though that is part of who I am. No, I feel that way because I know what I'm like, and I know why I usually want to kill myself. For a lot of people it's a selfish and cowardly thing. For some it's not, but that's why I feel the way I do.
You do not get to decide whose life did and did not have value based on arbitrary "personal" criteria. Please get used to this.

I think naming an NPC or whatever after him is a little tacky personally but holy crap you are posting some terrible opinions.

And the Onion is not even a news source do you really not know anything about anything.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Clinical depression is not the same thing as feeling sad some days. It's toxic and harmful to downplay the experiences of someone with a mental illness because "Everyone has bad days!" especially when that illness took their life, oh God, what is wrong with you.

By the way, telling people not to be emotional in the face of a very emotional issue is insensitive and makes it seem like you don't have an actual argument. And maybe not say "I have a right to say what I want!" and "If you reply to my post I will report you to the staff," in the same paragraph it's kind of hypocritical.

You do not get to decide whose life did and did not have value based on arbitrary "personal" criteria. Please get used to this.

I think naming an NPC or whatever after him is a little tacky personally but holy crap you are posting some terrible opinions.

And the Onion is not even a news source do you really not know anything about anything.
Where did you come from?

Of course I know the Onion is a satire site. Is hyperbole a foreign concept to you?

Thank you for grading the quality of my opinions for me.

I don't always painstakingly type out every detail and avenue of my thought process just to make a simple post on an inconsequential subject from my balckberry with its tiny screen, so you're just going to have to get used to (see how inflamitory and pretentious that is?) not always being clued into exactly where I am shifting focus from Williams to the poster I was replying to. Him and I have since worked things out. Things are cool between us. We understand each other better now. But if you are so determined to start a fight that isn't even yours... Yeah. I don't have the time or energy for that.

And yes, I've been in enough pointless arguments on this site to know when to report people when they refuse to drop something.

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Where did you come from?

Of course I know the Onion is a satire site. Is hyperbole a foreign concept to you?

Thank you for grading the quality of my opinions for me.

I don't always painstakingly type out every detail and avenue of my thought process just to make a simple post on an inconsequential subject from my balckberry with its tiny screen, so you're just going to have to get used to (see how inflamitory and pretentious that is?) not always being clued into exactly where I am shifting focus from Williams to the poster I was replying to. Him and I have since worked things out. Things are cool between us. We understand each other better now. But if you are so determined to start a fight that isn't even yours... Yeah. I don't have the time or energy for that.

And yes, I've been in enough pointless arguments on this site to know when to report people when they refuse to drop something.
I don't care if you're etching the text of your posts on a cave wall and having your descendants transcribe it millions of years in the future, you still posted a bunch of really awful things. How society regards the mentally ill, and suicide victims in particular, is not an "inconsequential subject" and you were talking more about that than having an elf named Robin or whatever this thread is about.

You indirectly called me a selfish coward and implied my life had or would have no value by extension so things are not "cool between us" and I'd say it is my fight. When you post things on a public forum anyone is allowed to read and reply to it, not just who you want. Get used to it. (Oh no, did I hurt your feelings by explaining a basic fact again? My sincere apologies.)

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't care if you're etching the text of your posts on a cave wall and having your descendants transcribe it millions of years in the future, you still posted a bunch of really awful things. How society regards the mentally ill, and suicide victims in particular, is not an "inconsequential subject" and you were talking more about that than having an elf named Robin or whatever this thread is about.

You indirectly called me a selfish coward and implied my life had or would have no value by extension so things are not "cool between us" and I'd say it is my fight. When you post things on a public forum anyone is allowed to read and reply to it, not just who you want. Get used to it. (Oh no, did I hurt your feelings by explaining a basic fact again? My sincere apologies.)
My gut reaction towards any person who attenpts suicide is to label them a coward, yes. Perhaps even reckless, ignorant, it's true. But very rarely will a happy-go-lucky person just kill themselves on a whim (that sounds really bipolar). There is the trademark pain that builds up to that. The difference between you and I, perhaps (though maybe there are many differences), is that I do not find pain to be an excuse for suicide, just like I'm again euthenasia. Though on second thought, I had not taken into account abandonment. If a person is truly alone then it's not a very fair fight against suicide, when extreme pain is involved. Most people I have met or know of who did it or tried it, however, were not completely abandoned, they often vehemently chose to isolate themselves, which usually makes it worse.

There is no shame in taking medication for those who need it. Medicine is good. Personally, antidepressants didn't help me, I just felt like a robot, which wasn't exactly improving my QOL - I'd rather feel pain than nothing, since the drugs blocked most positive emotions in my brain as well. BUT they work for some people, and they need them.

I understand you've got some history with this topic. That doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is that you are internalizing everything I say and are very confused (I know it must be confusion, and not ineptitude in communication, because of your fine handling of language).

When I as speaking of "everything is cool," I was not talking about you. I'm not delusional; I know everything is not cool between us. I was speaking of the previous person who got upset with me in this thread.

There doesn't have to be animosity between us. You have come a second time brandishing knives, trying your best to wound my ego. That is not how we ought to conduct ourselves in poite society, and it is a poor show of concern for your fellow man. I am not offended right now.

I would much rather discuss any deeper issues over PM, as this is a casual video game thread in a video game forum, and I'd rather not drag on a thread that maybe should fade away for the sake of a personal argument. We can keep it personal, you and I, if we must keep discussing suicide. I've already apologized for my coldhearted tone publicly, because I had not properly expressed my feelings and had already offended one person.

My personal life is not a matter of public record and is my own business, but if suicide and the circumstances leading up to it are in your mind an initiation into the secret club, or are the sole grounds for acceptable empathy, or what have you, then I am a card-carrying member. My life has not always been pristine and sheltered. I have endured terrible times. And yet I am here today by the grace of God.

Things can easily get blown out of proportion over the internet, since we are not conversing in real time, with facial expressions, and tone, inflection, and the presence of a human soul. Heck, I'm guilty of reading too much into someone's post and getting upset; I did it just last week. It happens. We correct ourselves and move on.

So unless you have a very specific point to make that does not involve my person, I advise you to, like other have, exercise some courage and tact and PM me with your grievances. If I have made some sort of serious error I will not hesitate to make amends as best I can. But to continue to slight me and insinuate things about my character will not do, and if you keep doing that in public then I will report you as a troll, as much as I would like to be your friend and resolve this.

Top Bottom