• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new quest beckons: Monster Hunter for Smash!

Prid

Smash Rookie
I haven't lost hope yet.

While post-launch Spirits and Mii costumes do greatly decrease the chances of those franchises being repped as DLC, I believe a Monster Hunter rep still might have a chance despite the recent MH Mii costumes and Spirit event, mainly due to COVID coming and messing up plans.

In short, Sakurai and his team need a predictable schedule to work with and frequent meetings with 3rd party publishers for their approval, but these plans were thrown off when COVID hit and meetings were canceled, yet Smash development continued soon after. They might've managed to work out a plan, but that plan couldn't rely on MH:Rise's shaky release date, as that game was suspended for a month and had its release date postponed. That's why I believe a MH rep still has a chance (for all the reasons stated in this video), because they might've erred on the side of caution and placed that DLC in a later slot to give MH:Rise ample time to complete its development while predictably developing other DLC fighters -- that is, if an MH rep is coming. But in that scenario, it makes sense in the meantime to release a bunch of (recycled) Mii costumes + a Spirit event to celebrate MH:Rise's launch (as it's a timed Nintendo exclusive).

Longer answer (with sources).

Prid

Smash Rookie
Also I made a video weaving together facts, leaks and animations to tell the unseen warfare tale of Sony, Nintendo and the Monster Hunter franchise. With Nintendo's colossal advantage of currently being the exclusive Monster Hunter tamer, I can see them leveraging their position to push for a MH rep in Smash.

This theory only attempts to explain why a Monster Hunter rep makes sense in Smash given the current course of events, not that it will happen.

TL;DR

- Animated GIF (watch video above for context/sources)

- Comic Strip:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Also I made a video weaving together facts, leaks and animations to tell the unseen warfare tale of Sony, Nintendo and the Monster Hunter franchise. With Nintendo's colossal advantage of currently being the exclusive Monster Hunter tamer, I can see them leveraging their position to push for a MH rep in Smash.

This theory only attempts to explain why a Monster Hunter rep makes sense in Smash given the current course of events, not that it will happen.

TL;DR

- Comic Strip:

Don't double post please. That's not allowed until 24 hours after the first post you made.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

TL;DR

- Comic Strip:

It really is not as cut and dry as this, Capcom will freely choose whatever platform best suits the vision they for any given title. It happened before with Portable 3rd (only PSP was strong enough to handle it at the time). Rise and Stories 2 are both set to come out on PC as well.

Prid

Smash Rookie
Don't double post please. That's not allowed until 24 hours after the first post you made.
Sorry, I'm pretty new here. Thanks for letting me know 😇

It really is not as cut and dry as this, Capcom will freely choose whatever platform best suits the vision they for any given title. It happened before with Portable 3rd (only PSP was strong enough to handle it at the time). Rise and Stories 2 are both set to come out on PC as well.
Despite that, what I'm trying to draw attention to is the fact that Nintendo paid anywhere between $15-22 million to Capcom just to delay the PC version of MH:Rise. Clearly they're invested and want the whole pie for themselves as long as they can, especially given how humongous that pie has gotten in MH:World's colossal wake (millions of new PS4/PC fans, 17+ million sales worldwide, 9 million of which are from the West, and it's Capcom's best-selling and fastest-selling game of all time). I'm pretty sure Nintendo would want to capitalize on that while they can :) Imagine directing all the millions of new fans to the Switch ecosystem through Rise's timed exclusivity, and putting a MH rep in Smash as part of that plan to attract the large MH fanbase. 😇

Prid

Smash Rookie
New Trailer
AMAZING trailer! MH:Rise didn't manage to quite capture me, but this game might just be up my alley.

What if we instead got a MH:Stories 2 rep along with MH:Stories 2 Mii costumes and Spirit event? Now that'd be something.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Okay so now that returning Smash 4 Mii Costumes don't seem to be a complete death sentence after all I'm gaining some hope for the Hunter again. It's not exactly that same situation but who knows, Tekken was a huge surprise at least.

Prid

Smash Rookie
Okay so now that returning Smash 4 Mii Costumes don't seem to be a complete death sentence after all I'm gaining some hope for the Hunter again. It's not exactly that same situation but who knows, Tekken was a huge surprise at least.
If this tells us anything, it's that we should be very cautious of making hard deconfirm rules. I really believe that Hunter has a great chance again, and that the Mii costumes + Spirit event were added to just celebrate MH:Rise's launch as Nintendo's got stakes on that game. And I still hold the position that the MH rep might've been delayed due to COVID, so the Mii costumes frankly don't mean much anymore :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
They did another one of those personality quizzes for Stories 2, and this time I got Diablos. Apparently I like finding hidden sides in people.

Top Bottom