• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Game Mode: Board Team Match

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Link to original post: [drupal=5477]A New Game Mode: Board Team Match[/drupal]

Good day, humans. Some people remember me, some don't, regardless of that.

I was at work today, and like everyday when I work, I think a lot. I always think about plans to make games. Board games or computer games.
Then I came up with a new game mode for playing Super Smash.
The Board Team Match, I call it. It's a tactical game mode, and requires a good ammount of knowledge about your team to win. Also your tactical movement.

The rules are simple, really. First, make a map with squares. Or get a chess board. Then get ready some board pieces that represents Super Smash characters. Int he game you choosed to play.
Then get two teams. Or play on your own, whichever works.
Each team have a team captain.
The other players in the team needs to pick characters they want to play as in Super Smash. The captain then places the pieces on the board.
When all the pieces are placed, the game may start. Whoever starts first, you can figure that out.
The captain will move a piece one quare. Then the opposing captain moves a piece of his.
This goes on until two pieces from different teams meets each other. When that happens, the team minions who owns the pieces will fight each other as the characters represented by the board pieces. The maps played are up to you. The same goes for stock, but 1 stock should suffice.
The loser is eliminated from the game, and the piece is removed from the board.

The game mode is also pretty open for additional rules. Examples may be adding terrains on the map, and use the Super Smash' Handicap rules to work with it.
Or you can use chess pieces, and use the known movements of the pieces, and assign the players to them. Making a even more tactical game mode for the interested.

Eitherway. This tactical game mode I thought up sounds fun on paper, but I would like it being tested out. Somethign I cannot do often enough.

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
This is very interesting I like it, it requires mental thought and game skill, such as trying to get one piece on the board to meet with another one in which it wins in the MU. Also how about the terrain be a different stage? That could result in interesting things.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This reminds me of when me and Peachkid tried to make Turn Based Smash. It was awesome, haha.

This should definitely be developed further.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Great to hear it's well received. I look at it as some sort of a more interactive tactical RPG game, but without stats. :V

Now, I was looking to make a "official" rule, but I haven't gone as far yet. I need to figure out the "balance", so I thought up about a few more optional rules.

PokéChange
If moving across the board is too much of a hazzle, then here's a different game.
Pick 5 characters. Either you control them all or share with your team, that's your thing.
Then pick one of them. Then write the name of the player and character on a piece of paper, place it with the writing down on the table. The opposing team doing the same.
Both flip the note, and there you go. A simple and who-knows- match making.

Tier Division
Each team can only have one character from each category of the tier list.
One from God-tier, one from Top-tier, one from mid-tier and so on.

Team Work Phases
Rather than having a captain, each team can move all their own pieces on the board, then the other team does the same

Character Trait (Advanced)
Some characters from the rooster have some additional traits.
Examples:
-Sonic can move more further on the board.
-Snake's movement is concealed, but only moves one square at a time, and his first fight grants a ambush, allowing the Snake player to do the first hit in a match. After the match, he is revealed for the entire game.
-Bowser won't be removed from the board after the first defeat.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Well, open for suggestion.

Also some more optional rules done.
And some more details on the Character Trait rule for the interested.

Stock Match (From Luco)
Player pieces will have a standard ammount of lives, so they won't get removed from the game immidiately.

GangBANG (Needs the use of phase rules rather than turns)
If more than one piece is adjacent to a opposing piece, a Team Mach will start.
Example, if team A have a piece adjacent to two pieces from team B, the owner of piece A will have to fight against 2 players from team B.

Stage Squares (From Alberto1866)
Squares determines the stage played on. The stage choosen will be determined by the defender's square.

Dice Rule
Instead of moving a set square, use a dice to roll a movement distance.

Item Squares
Squares that allows items in the match if a battle is engaged on the squares. Item type and drop rate is used form squares of the attacker and the defender.

More Character Traits in Details
-Sonic: have more movement distance, and guarantees your start of the game, if the opponent doesn't have a Sonic. Also allows movement after a match.
-Link: If item rule is played, gives the option to change the item in the match, or disable it. Your square.
-Toon Link: If item rule is played, gives the option to change the drop rate of the item in the match. Your square.
-Snake: Movement is not shown to the opposing team, but written down on a paper sheet. The firsth match activates a ambush, allowing Snake to do the first hit before the opponent can act. Trait is removed after the match.
-Meta Knight: Disables Snake's Ambush on this character.
-Wolf: Disables Snake's Ambush on all players on your team.
-All Pokémons: Allows the player to use any Pokémon character from the rooster before a match.
-Bowser: One additional life on the board.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
What if Link allowed item rule to be turned on? That'd be interesting!

Also, Ness should be able to teleport, Lucas could use magnet to do something?

And yoshi should be able to carry someone with him (if it's wanted) when he moves. Maybe only used a couple times per match or something to keep it balanced but it would be a free action: The other character could still move when their turn came.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Right, here's a new list.

Mario: ?
Luigi: ?
Peach: ?
Bowser: One additional life on the board
Wario: Can charge stand still one rund, and run x3 squares a diferent round.

Donkey Kong: ?
Diddy Long: ?

Yoshi: Can bring a adjacent character with Yoshi, without using up that character's turn.

Link: Can change the item used on the item square. Your square.
Toon Link: Can change the drop rate of the item used on the item square. Your square.
-In case of two adjacent squares having different drop rates, the attacker have the skill priority.
Zelda/Sheik: Can change between Zelda or Sheik before and during a match.
Ganondorf: If fighting against two or more players during GangBANG rule, Handicap is used in Ganondorf's favor by 50%.

Kirby: If Food or Maximum Tomato items are in play, drop rate is always on High.
King Dedede: If Food or Maximum Tomato items are in play, drop rate is always on Low.
-Skill priority is set to the defending character.
Meta Knight: Disables GangBANG rule for this unit.

Pokémon Trainer/Pikachu/Jigglypuff: Allows the player to pick any of these three characters before a match.
Lucario: Disables Snake's stealth and Ambush abilities.

Fox: In Corneria stage, set Handicap rule in Fox's favor by 10%.
Falco: In Lylat Cruise stage, set Handicap rule in Falco's favor by 10%.
Wolf: When fighting against Fox or Falco, set Handicap rule in Wolf's favor by 10%. 20% if Wolf is GangBANGed.

Samus: Allows to fully charge the Charge Beam at the start of a match.
-When using the Smash Ball to change into Zero Suit Samus, you will remain with that character even after the match.
Zero Suit Samus: Can start a battle two squares away rather than beng adjacent.
-Zero Suit Samus cannot re-equip her armors until a Smash Ball is used, and having the armor at the end of the match.

Ness: Can teleport to any location from your start squares. Will be unable to move at the next turn.
Lucas: Can teleport to an ally. Will be unable to move at the next turn.

Marth: ?
Ike: ?

Ice Climbers: ?

Captain Falcon: Can move one additional square. Can move twice.

Pit: ?

R.O.B.: ?

Mr. Game & Watch: ?

Sonic: Can move two additional squares, guarantee your start turn at the beginning of the game, and move again after a match.

Snake: Movement is concealed. The first match let's Snake Ambush, allowing him to make the first hit before the opponent can move. Skill is disabled after the match ends.

And here's some basic maps to use for the interested.

The colored squares are the team's starting positions. You are free to place the pieces where you want within the colors.
They allso allows the owner of the square to choose the stage played if being attacked while on it inside.

White blank squares uses the standard tournament rules. Like striking.

The stage being played on is the square of the one being attacked.

The items inside the square means what item will be used and how often the item drops.
Items used will be from both the attacker's and the defender's square. The drop rate is determined by the defender's square.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I can see pit being able to 'fly above a square' for a couple turns. What it would do is give him the choice to battle an adjacent opponent or let them pass/go on to someone else instead. Basically, battle with an adjacent opponent is now optional instead of mandatory. Also if one of his friends came and was about to battle with an enemy adjacent to a flying pit, pit could 'swoop down' and join his ally for a 2v1 battle if he wanted.

I think this game would be at its best with multiple people on each side, not just in game but on the boards looking at strategy.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Derp, my mateys got too drunk to test out my game during their home tourney, so Imma have tp test it myself in LanTrek in Finland, if I manage. :V

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
A complicated board game won't survive a tournament setting. It'll at least require a dedicated group, and MAJOR simplification.

This is way too intimidating.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Well, it wasn't really meant for a tourney, honestly.

Also that was just an example how to use set up the map if you are using special rules.

You could always go basic with a blank board ans simplified rules.

Top Bottom