• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new found glitch, maybe?

MikeyLombardi

Smash Cadet
Here's something for people to try. Have you ever played matches with the Handicap on? My buddy and I were playing a tag team match with our handicaps on 9 and the CPU handicaps on 8. No real important reason, but we noticed that it took longer for the CPU characters to die than it did us.

Mind you, the CPU characters are Luigi and Kirby, it took Kirby an astonishing 200% damage for a KO, while my friend was quickly blown off-stage for KO at 140% using Marth.

Yeah...re-read that whole paragraph.

In a nutshell, the CPU's handicaps are visually lower than ours (I mean, last time I checked, 8 is less than 9...) but somehow Handicap 8 is higher than Handicap 9.

BTW, I have version 1.0 of this game.

Any thoughts on what could cause such a glitch?

:confused:
:urg:

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
...Or maybe you're just not hitting Kirby with something like Fox's upsmash at 120%...

I've done it exactly what you said were the circumstances, and nothing...

Go figure.

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
well, seeing as kirby has one of the best recoveries in the game with 5 jumps + b-up, i could see him survive to 200%, esp. since i frequently can live uparound 170%+ on most of my stocks. Marth is pretty light, he's easier to edgeguard with his pretty lousy and predictable recovery, so it's likely. Like Cuno said, pure coincidence.

MikeyLombardi

Smash Cadet
Okay, I'll put it this way:

WE WERE PLAYING ON ONETT!!! What recovery is needed on Onett?

I seriously don't think that it was a coincidence, because it was happening with Luigi also. We were not able to KO Luigi until around 240% - 250% damage. A car hit both Me (Falco) and Luigi. I was KOed and Luigi survived. I still don't see how all of that would be a pure coincidence.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
what level was the comp at, the higher the level, the more the comp DI's in the up-down direction

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it could be a glitch, or for some reason in that match, the comp had insane DI

Smash Master
I would say the best way to test it is to have two Luigis, one handicap 8, and one handicap 9 on final destination, get shined by Fox. Whichever one flies farther has the "lower" handicap.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I would say the best way to test it is to have two Luigis, one handicap 8, and one handicap 9 on final destination, get shined by Fox. Whichever one flies farther has the "lower" handicap.

Shine has a set knockback for each char. I don't think it would change for different chars.

Or were you talking about falco's shine, that would make sense.

MikeyLombardi

Smash Cadet
Okay guys, back with the results. I tested 3 attacks:

Green Luigi @ Handicap 9
White Luigi @ Handicap 8

With both Luigis at 0% damage, I fully charged a F-Smash and hit both at the same time. Green Luigi went farther.

With both Luigis at 0% damage, I shined both fighters at the same time. Green Luigi went higher.

With Green Luigi at 120% and White Luigi at 158%, I D-Smashed and hit both fighters at the same time. Green Luigi went farther.

So, yea. They all have the same result. How is Handicap 8 higher than Handicap 9?

MikeyLombardi

Smash Cadet
And we're supposed to just believe you?

You're lucky I'm too lazy to try that out for myself. >_>
Well, I can't say for versions 1.1 and 1.2, because I only have version 1.0

But it does seem as if the programmers goofed in the Handicap programming.

Besides, you won't believe me until you try, huh?

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
Well in that case, either the programming's messed up, or insane di. I have version 1.2, I'll check.

edit: Well, with 2 luigis on fd, 9 and 8 handicaps, against fox, they seemed to go about the same on the shine and fsmash, with the 9 going farther only because he was farther from me to begin with (can't completely overlap). on the upsmash, though, I could clearly tell that the 8 went higher than the 9, so it wouldn't happen on 1.2.

Dolphin-Safe

Smash Apprentice
LMAO, it's definitely the case in 1.0.

You can short-hop dair shine 'combo' Luigi like you would Fox and Falco when they are set on 8. Then switching them to 7 or 9 makes him fly WAY higher like he should be doing.

hawkts13

Smash Rookie
different knockback on F-smash and D-smash depending on how far away they are. unless u are measuring with an actual ruler and measuring from the poitn of impact, the distance it traveled 'shinewise' would have been impossible to tell through mere glancing.

but dolphin probably answered ur question.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
well, seeing as kirby has one of the best recoveries in the game with 5 jumps + b-up, i could see him survive to 200%, esp. since i frequently can live uparound 170%+ on most of my stocks. Marth is pretty light, he's easier to edgeguard with his pretty lousy and predictable recovery, so it's likely. Like Cuno said, pure coincidence.
Kirby's recovery>Marth's? No, sir. Marth's recovery certanily isn't the best, but not as bad as Kirby's predictable sword cutter(or whatever it's called).

Smash Master
Weird. When I do the shine, the handicap 8 Luigi falls down, While the handicap 9 Luigi skids like he should. (I'm pretty sure I have version 1.0) Therefore, for me, the handicap was correct. Do you think it may have something to do with how far you drag the handicap bar along the spectrum that register's 8?

MikeyLombardi

Smash Cadet
That shouldn't be the case. A Level 6 comp fights the same as a level 6.5 comp. The spectrum doesn't matter, so it shouldn't matter for Handicap either.

That's a little design flaw. I think that they should go back to the SSB 64 version of selecting CPU Level and Handicap. If there's no difference between 6 and 6.5, then why even have the spectrum style?

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
kirby's recovery isn't the best in the game, per say. It is a lot easier to predict than marths. But the point I was trying to make is Kirby can recover longer and from farther away from the stage than marth, with his jumps. Anyways, it doesn't matter, seeing as this was from onett, and the glitch seems to have been figured out.

The 5th Police

Smash Journeyman
Its not really a glitch its more of a modifier of the game that was purposely put into the game(which I have no idea why though). Sorry to go off topic but here is something I want everyone to try. I want them to beat a lvl 9 CPU Bowser and gang up on him. However, all 3 of your handicaps are 1......... Anyway, this is an interesting topic.

Top Bottom