• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Challenger Approaches....

Jetstream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-6735-8295
Hey guys, I'm Jet :) I'm a Canadian, and I moved to Trinidad in the Caribbean two years ago. I've been a casual player for years, first getting Melee when I was 8 or 9, but I've never been all that good. I got Brawl almost as soon as it came out, but it wasn't until a year or two ago that I learned about the competitive side of Smash. I was just looking online for trick to beat Toon Link, the one character I could never beat, and found Smashboards :awesome:

I've been lurking here for almost a year now, picking up tips here and there to beat my brother and friends. I've gotten to the point that I can easily beat most LV9 CPUs, but I know that's not much of an achievement, I want to get better.

I currently own Brawl, and I downloaded Project M 3.5 as soon as it came out, although I'm having trouble picking a character. I have a 3DS, but no stores down here have Smash 4 yet, so I'm hoping to get it the next time I go to Canada.

I generally play Meta Knight in Brawl, and in PM I rotate between Mewtwo, Ivysaur, Charizard, Wario and Roy.

If I'm trying to improve, are there any specific advanced techniques I should learn first? I can RAR pretty consistently in Brawl, and I can almost wavedash in PM, but that's pretty much it.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Yo, welcome! I'd say just keep practicing wavedashing and L-canceling, those are some of the most basic techniques.

Jetstream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-6735-8295
Thanks :) L-canceling is just pressing L/R immediately before landing an aerial, right? Or is it more complicated than that?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
That's pretty much it. Personally, I use L, since I use R for wavedashing and shielding.
Also, finding a character in PM is pretty difficult, at least for me. I've swapped mains like 18 times.

Jetstream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-6735-8295
18 times? Okay, that makes me feel a bit better about that :p
Also, what exactly is SHFFLing? I've heard the term a lot, and people have said it's really important, but I have no idea what that means. All I know is that it's a fast way to attack :p

Jetstream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-6735-8295
Okay, so I short hop, aerial attack, fast fall, and L-cancel the attack?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Yep! This is very important for characters with lots of laggy moves, like Bowser, G-dorf and Ike. It is useful for most characters, and it something very useful to know. It is pretty easy as well once you master L-canceling. It'll help you string together moves for better, longer combos.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Welcome 2 Smahsboarss!
There's always the character boards to learn combos and the like for specific chars.
Hope you enjoy the boards

Jetstream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-6735-8295

Is there a specific board with advice on hold tournaments? I'm the founder of my school's gaming club, and we were gonna have a Brawl tournament... but I have no idea how to do it :p

Top Bottom