• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A move I have not seen mentioned here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Its something I discovered by accident yesterday, and by no means i'm saying its a super cool new awesome move that will break the game and move Bowser up in the tiers, but still, it could have a few uses and maybe give you more variety to work with.

When you do your neutral jab, and as soon as the animation is done, do an utilt, instead of the second jab. If you time it just right, it IS possible to hit with the utilt with the same speed the second jab would, making it basically an upgraded version of Bowser's old one-two.

It's not that hard to do once you have the timing correctly, simply wait for the earliest frame possible were a standing attack will not trigger the second jab. Ane because the Utilt strikes so fast, it makes up for the slightly late launch, when in comparison to the second jab.

I tried following the first neutral jab with a dtild and a ftilt, but those moves have too slow starts to connect.

as for uses? well, in a situation were you can hit with an utilt, why not do the jab first to add that little more damage that could mean the diference to KO with the utilt? In fact, seeing as the utilt deals more damage that the second jab, I don't see a reason not to replace it with this move in most ocassions, except, of course, when you need to send someone away horizontaly rather than vertically.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
heh guess i'll play with it sometime..i get jabs in from time to time on marth..i'm probably better off going for a grab at low percentage but at high it might kill if he doesn't DI

Rigor_Mortis

Smash Cadet
I tend to time the first jab so that it doesn't trigger the second swipe. This way I can get in around 3-4 before moving on to something else. Typically a short hop fair, although I'll see if I can get the utilt in there instead. It's funny watching boozer swat someone like a fly.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Wow, I just figured it was a well-known thing XD

Then again I figured that out early myself because I main Mario, and I used to jab-utilt too much with him.

but yeah, the only drawback I can think of this is that you can't take full advantage of Bowser's awesomely cute range.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
well, it was probably an obius maneuver with the other character, but since bowser doesnt jab as often, its probably passed up. Precise frame data would be needed, but i'd dare say jab-utilt is nearly as fast as jab-jab.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Problem is, the post-lag of the utilt is massive. If they CC, you could suffer some serious punishment. I actually think I just jab > fortress most of the time.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
i agree.. fortress has no startup time or lag afterwards unlike utilt.. much less most of bowsers attacks..and it has more uses..

you guys use whatever you like, thats just my 2 cents

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Haruno, in your frame data, what does IASA mean? sorry, dont know this term. Also, does it say the windup time of the utilt? as in how fast does it come out, rather than total frames used in the entire move?

as for punishment, yes, that's true, but it's not like i told anyone to spam it, and the utilt does have very nice knockback, meaning that at moderate percentages you are quite safe provided you hit.

Saying the fortress has no ending lag is an exageration, you won't always be on yoshi's story (was that the stage name?), you know, so you could as well be punished if you have nowere to cancel it. But i grant that the fortress does enable running away at the same time as you hit.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
IASA (Interruptible As Soon As): All moves have IASA-frames. After performing a move, you can perform another move (and most often, a jump or a dash) before the first move actually ends. The best example of this is Marth's down tilt. If you perform it and try to jump, you have to wait for the full 49 frames until the move is over. However, if you perform it and try to follow up with any attack (smash or tilt), the down tilt will stop after 20 frames (its hit box will have come out) and go directly into that move. To do an IASA-cancel, you just have to attack after IASA frames of that move have begun but before the animation of the move ends.

im sorry, but i dont know the windup time for the utilt.

truth be told, you dont have to be on yoshi's story to cancel a fortress. im not sure if you're quite familiar with fortresshogging.

vincentninja68

Smash Apprentice
Huh. I only discovered that neat little trick a week ago, it's harder to land then it sounds. First of all, you gotta get close, then manage to land it before getting smacked around. You can just as easily practice landing it, but you're better off sticking with the fortress.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Well, it's possible that a fast faller could get his feet on the ground and shield in time, but its only speculation, and it would need to be tested against humans to see. And as far as fortresshogging goes, yes, so long as you can find a ledge that is inclinated down you're safe, however theres a certain degree of risk in trying it on a regular horizontal ledge, depending on your location. And sticking with the fortress could become all too predictable. We have to rely on the fortress a lot as it is, so I'm just trowing this move here to have one more thing to do when you tech chase, catch someone that overshot his recovery, or plain made a mistake that left him open for an attack. Oh, yes, and bowser doesnt have that many moves that pop an enemy in the air while still letting him try to juggle, other than the utilt and the Klaw, so mixing the utilt around in your jabs could give you more juggling chances.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
just thought i'd say i've been doing this for a very long time, but whats even more fun is a thunders jab into klaw mmmmmmm delicious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom