• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Marth player coming over to Falcon.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
So I've decided to make the decision of dropping Marth in favor of Falcon, simply because he suits how I play better than Marth, and I was just wondering if somebody could tell me where to start with Falcon, what techs are essential to play, and general tricks and tips of Falcon.

Xtra_Crispy

Smash Cadet
1) basic movement (wavedashes, wavelands, dash dancing all that crap) - moonwalking isn't important at first. Learn the neutral and stuff without it and learn it later lol. You need to be comfortable moving him around stage while focused on the other player to be able to do anything with falcon

2) short hop nair - make sure you can nair in any direction both retreating and approaching as quickly and precisely as possible

3) combooooooooosssssss - you NEED to be able to hit hard with falcon, he can't really rely on spare hits and chipping away. Get your throw combos and stuff down. It is tempting to rely on side-b to techchase at first but try to avoid it. SH knee in place options --> regrab if they roll covers everything if you're good at it.

4) ledge game - should be in movement but eh whatever lol this includes being able to reverse knee from the ledge to edgeguard Marth/ sheik/ falcon/ others

Edit: 5) ALWAYS BE A GENTLEMAN - practice mixing up timing, mixing grabs into it, immediate ones after areals especially on sheild. Getting creative with your gentlemen are your easiest mixup options

If you are running out of ideas go to the Falcon Trials thread! Very good stuff on there to practice

Last edited:

Gilbz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrGilbz
1) basic movement (wavedashes, wavelands, dash dancing all that crap) - moonwalking isn't important at first. Learn the neutral and stuff without it and learn it later lol. You need to be comfortable moving him around stage while focused on the other player to be able to do anything with falcon

2) short hop nair - make sure you can nair in any direction both retreating and approaching as quickly and precisely as possible

3) combooooooooosssssss - you NEED to be able to hit hard with falcon, he can't really rely on spare hits and chipping away. Get your throw combos and stuff down. It is tempting to rely on side-b to techchase at first but try to avoid it. SH knee in place options --> regrab if they roll covers everything if you're good at it.

4) ledge game - should be in movement but eh whatever lol this includes being able to reverse knee from the ledge to edgeguard Marth/ sheik/ falcon/ others

If you are running out of ideas go to the Falcon Trials thread! Very good stuff on there to practice
This is a very helpful post, thanks. Also, I am kind of a new falcon main. At first I focused on getting the timings down for the nair and dair l cancels and as Crispy said, staying away from too many raptor boosts. Good luck to you.

Xtra_Crispy

Smash Cadet
Yeah L cancels definitely are a must and you should recognize if you need to delay because of a sheild hit. Knee on shield has a ***ton of stun so plan for it. Aim to hitt your nairs on the tip-toes too, being a marth main should help that lol.

Also dashing/ acting out of lag, especially gentlemans, as quickly as possible. Scar is super good at that so watch him for a good reference. Falcon is quick so those little extra frames go a long way.

Gilbz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrGilbz
Yeah L cancels definitely are a must and you should recognize if you need to delay because of a sheild hit. Knee on shield has a ***ton of stun so plan for it. Aim to hitt your nairs on the tip-toes too, being a marth main should help that lol.

Also dashing/ acting out of lag, especially gentlemans, as quickly as possible. Scar is super good at that so watch him for a good reference. Falcon is quick so those little extra frames go a long way.
Very true. I'd also take a look at Scar's thread with Frame Data and Falcon's different moves.

Top Bottom