• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Luigi in Top 8 of the Second Biggest Melee Tournament of All Time...

Flurb18

Smash Cadet
Blea Gelo was 9th at CEO 2014, which is a supernational but not as high placing. Other than that, no one has gotten top 8 at a national. These guys got 9th at nationals though:
Eddy Mexico got 9th at Pat's House 2
Vudujin got 9th at Zenith 2013
Ka-Master got 9th at MELEE-FC Diamond

That's it. Abate is a god

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
Blea Gelo was 9th at CEO 2014, which is a supernational but not as high placing. Other than that, no one has gotten top 8 at a national. These guys got 9th at nationals though:
Eddy Mexico got 9th at Pat's House 2
Vudujin got 9th at Zenith 2013
Ka-Master got 9th at MELEE-FC Diamond

That's it. Abate is a god
Okay then, thank you for informing me.

The year of Luigi came late.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
That was on of Abate's best performances in terms of his tech was on point. Even then he missed stuff he could have capitalized on. If anyone is going to push Luigi up the tier list I think it will be Abate.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Eddy and Abate are roughly the same. I think Abate is better with comboing while Eddy has a better neutral but they are basically the same. It would be cool if both Abate and Eddy pushed Luigi like Axe with Pikachu. Seeing two people main the character might inspire people to pick him up a lot more than just one.

Vist

Smash Champion
Definitely the best national placing by a Luigi to date. From what I saw, Abate played really well and I agree that the bracket was good for him. Not to say it was at all lucky or anything, but it was fortunate that he didn't have to run into any of the 'gods' or any of the really good sheik mains until fairly far into the bracket.

Anyway, pretty much all the active and retired Luigi mains have rarely traveled outside of their region, but recently it seems like Blea and to a lesser extent Abate have made a solid effort to try to make it out to more events and it seems like it's paying off. I feel like Ka-Master might have been able to pull off a Top-8 finish at a national back in the day, but he only ever made it out to 2 nationals- Melee FC (getting 9th) and Pound 4 (getting 17th). He did do really well at a large UCLA monthly event once also where he got 2nd only to HugS but took out Lucky, Zhu, and some other good wc players along the way. Eddy's win at that one SSS was pretty great too.

Vist

Smash Champion
Didn't Abate play Mango in winners?
Yeah, I was saying he didn't play a god until fairly far in the bracket and considering that there were 4 gods at Big House, playing mango in winners quarters was about as good as it can get without a huge upset causing a god to drop to losers early.

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Ka-Master might have been able to pull off a Top-8 finish at a national back in the day, but he only ever made it out to 2 nationals- Melee FC (getting 9th) and Pound 4 (getting 17th). He did do really well at a large UCLA monthly event once also where he got 2nd only to HugS but took out Lucky, Zhu, and some other good wc players along the way.
Ka-Master was at one of our weeklies recently, and should be moving to Utah in about a month. He was telling me he really wants to go to Genesis, so hopefully he can go. I don't think he is as strong as Abate or Eddy (based on him losing to Kira recently and Abate dominating Kira), but with him back on the mainland, hopefully we get another strong Luigi rep. at majors

Top Bottom