• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A little tip against marth players

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
My friend's marth beat me alot. A lot. like it was pretty pathetic. I thought i was a good players, but i basically lost all my self-confidence when he like 3 stocked me five times in a row with marth with like 40% damage in the end.

He knew it was super cheap, but basicly he would just use FowardB to slowly push me off the stage, and then just Fair and edgehog. Marth's FowardB is really good, especially when you dont DI out of it immediately.

So yeah, for a while I felt like marth was this impossible counter to Olimar and really there wasnt much i could do about it. But then I played him again and it was an even match, i still lost, but it was very close. And then again it was a close match, and then I won one.

so if Marth or another character is trying to juggle you or edgeguard you, i think b/c olimars have the worst recovery in the game we immediately have one thought in our head when we're off the stage "MUST GET ON GROUND" and a lot of olimars, like me, lose all mindgames and become very predictable trying to get back on.
All I did to stop his cheap kills was to airdodge and DI into him when he used Fair, so that im got behind him. And that was basicly it. Oh and olimar's Fsmash sometimes outranges Marth's FB so use that to your advantage too.

But mainly im posting this b/c i'm seeing alot of people complain about "insert character" being really really hard to play. And i think really the only advice to give is to keep playing them until you figure out how to punish them for "insert overpowered move"

keeper

Smash Champion
Just stay away from Marth, DI away from the attacks, and stay below him. Marth attacks in front and above him. You should be good to win if you just stay below and keep your distance.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Thanks for the tip. Not many people try to DI TOWARDS Marth and air-dodge right into him. That's a pretty bold move, which may surprise your opponent.

Awesomethreat

Smash Cadet
Good tip, to DI into Marth could confuse your opponent or throw him/her off.
Although an alternative is to play on Smashville and just pray that you land on the moving platform.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
This is a dumb question.. but what is DI'ing. Thankyou.
It's not a dumb question at all. Perfectly understandable, since everyone always abbreviates it. :) DI stands for Directional Influence. For example, while you are in the air, you are able to move left and right while falling. This is directional influence. You can control the direction of your movement while in the air.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Meh I havn't got a problem with marth what you should watch out for is pit Arrows plus >-b spamming= you breaking controllers in anger however you can grab through ANY of pits attacks!

keeper

Smash Champion
The only problem I see with your tip is that online, lag makes dodging and stuff ********, so you'd have be sure of it.

On a side note: I love surprising opponents.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
If you're DIing into fairs, it seems like you could eventually become predictable and he'll stop trying to set up the "Ken combo" chain of fairs and react to your strategy. Of course it could provide ample confusion at first. If you're at REALLY high percents and trying to get back onto the stage safely, use your Down+B like it's your job. More often than not he'll catch you in your super armor frames. Sometimes I find that midair dodging is easily punishable by a smart player and it can be dangerous. Olimar has a really good ground game against marth due to his natural ability to camp, so do anything you can to get back to safety. Thanks for your tips!

Psyflame

Smash Cadet
What you want to do is draw Marth off of the stage, where his terrifyingly good Fsmash can't touch you. His options are limited in the air, and your slightly superior DI speed should mean that if you can dodge the first attack, you can make it back on.

Top Bottom