• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Guide A Little Mac guide

AMH9000

Smash Rookie
NNID
AMH9000
3DS FC
4296-3542-6575
AMH9000 submitted a new guide:

A Little Mac guide - How to get a little better with him.

Before I start explaining, some of these things I'll probably get wrong. If/When I do, PLEASE use constructive criticism. This will not be a perfect guide but may give out a few tips for those who are interested, or are already using Little Mac.

(Play style) Little Mac is a bit of a bait, punish, and pressure character from very fast moves with small amounts of end lag, but he's more so a defensive character, you can't just rush down the opponent and expect to win, so patience is vital....
Read more about this guide...

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
I skimmed through it but I wanted to make a few notes.

- Mac's Gentleman works well against Fastfallers at low percents so they are unable to DI downwards and shield your Rapid Jab, but past around 30-40% depending on the character the Rapid Jab is the better option usually. Once you feel your opponent will be able to sucessfully DI out of your Rapid Jab, Gentleman works well to get off that damage quickly before they can escape and leaves no room to get punished. It also has a moderately fast IASA frame.

- Down Smash works wonders at catching rolls like most, but it's even better than many others due to its fast nature, armor in case your opponent does have time to react out of a roll somehow, and can semi-spike opponents near the ledge. It also has no damage difference between the front and back hits unlike most others.

- Down Tilt is Mac's greatest tool in the neutral, considering how fast and how much combo potential it has into Up Smash, Forward Smash, another Down Tilt, perfect pivot Up Tilt, Up Special, and Side Special. Up Tilt also works wonders due to it covering the entirety of Mac's hurtbox and linking into itself at low percentages as well as Side Special, but is more dangerous due to the arm also being a hurtbox against disjoint characters such as Marth, Lucina, Dedede, and Cloud.

- While not a great option, Double Jump Up Special to catch falling opponents works wonders against those who don't expect it or will just attempt to DAir a jumping Mac. Nobody expects the KO potential that Rising Uppercut and, with customs on, Rising Smash has, and are early KO options that require a read of either their DI or an airdodge read.

- KO Punch also can come from a reversed OOS (Input KO Punch when shielding, instantly drop shield and tap the opposite direction you are facing.), a DAir jablock, UTilt B-Reversed, and simply reading a roll. Options, horray!

- Actually, you CAN use Side-B against Mario to recover. Jump towards stage, wait for them to use FLUDD. Then, once they come in for the cape, REVERSE input a Side B. POW, Right in the kisser. Same goes for other characters with good gimping tools is just waiting then making sure to not let their shenanigans work, i.e. using Walljumps, Slip Counter, and Airdodges to avoid anything and everything. Just never get too predictable, obviously.

Maybe this will help, t'heck if I know.

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
Also using the KO punch to recover is usualy a bad idea. It leaves you open for a long time, and does not actualy give you that much distance.

AMH9000

Smash Rookie
NNID
AMH9000
3DS FC
4296-3542-6575
Also using the KO punch to recover is usualy a bad idea. It leaves you open for a long time, and does not actualy give you that much distance.
That's why it should be used high above the stage, people also don't expect Little Mac to recover anyway so they may not try to gimp. Also, compared to Little Mac's Side-B in the air, it goes a bit further, so combine that with Side-B and it's kinda like Fox illusion or Falco Phantasm in terms of distance (?).

AMH9000

Smash Rookie
NNID
AMH9000
3DS FC
4296-3542-6575
- While not a great option, Double Jump Up Special to catch falling opponents works wonders against those who don't expect it or will just attempt to DAir a jumping Mac. Nobody expects the KO potential that Rising Uppercut and, with customs on, Rising Smash has, and are early KO options that require a read of either their DI or an airdodge read.

- Actually, you CAN use Side-B against Mario to recover. Jump towards stage, wait for them to use FLUDD. Then, once they come in for the cape, REVERSE input a Side B. POW, Right in the kisser. Same goes for other characters with good gimping tools is just waiting then making sure to not let their shenanigans work, i.e. using Walljumps, Slip Counter, and Airdodges to avoid anything and everything. Just never get too predictable, obviously.
Yea, the Up-B kill option is great, I use it myself quite a bit, but what I usually see after I hit 'em with it and they're still alive, they air dodge, so I just jump at a lower point under them to bait an air dodge and then punish.

And yes I do know that I could Side-B in the other direction, but any character could work against it for the read and I didn't think it would be necessary, but thanks for putting it out there.

Top Bottom