• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A little help

Melbourne

Smash Rookie
Now I like to think of myself as a professed Zelda main, but I still (as do most people) struggle with some of the more complex aspects of the character and because of this I'd like some assistance from you all!

1. I've been trying to incorporate more land cancelled Naryu's into my gameplay but I can't figure out how to time it. Am I supposed to hit the ground in the middle of the animation, or directly after it ends? Also what is the best move to follow up with after successfully completing this tech? (I'm guessing up smash as that almost guarantees a lot of shield pressure, and up smashes normally lead into Lk's...)

2. I can Teledash easily, through platforms and I know how to aim the teleport easily. What I'm messing up with is my timing. What normally happens is (well at least this is what it looks like) I Wavedash cancel the teleport? It's like I don't even teleport, I just Wavedash out of it right before I actually teleport. This screws me up because if I try to teledash across the stage I end up moving literally next to where I was before and attacking nothing. On top of that, if I do manage to teleport all the way across the stage I mess up my timing again and I don't Teledash at all. Do I just need to practice my timing? Also what are the best options out of Teledash? I almost only strictly use dash grabs or dash attack, is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I'm replying, not because I know the answer, but because I'd like to. Your explanations are good, but what would help is a video or two of your gameplay including what you're trying to fix. Even better would be if you can show a picture of your hand/controller as you do it, so we can see when the inputs are being put in, and whether they are early/late/missing in some places. I have some ideas, but unless there's video, we can't get really specific. Welcome to the Zelda Forum!

Melbourne

Smash Rookie
Well I personally do not own a wii. I can only play once or twice a weekend so that would have to wait. Plus it would be terrible quality but I guess that's normal. I'll see what I can do, thanks!

onlywonderboy

Smash Rookie
Scrub question if anyone would be so inclined to help. What is the actual process for land canceling Naruy's Love?

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
Now I like to think of myself as a professed Zelda main, but I still (as do most people) struggle with some of the more complex aspects of the character and because of this I'd like some assistance from you all!

1. I've been trying to incorporate more land cancelled Naryu's into my gameplay but I can't figure out how to time it. Am I supposed to hit the ground in the middle of the animation, or directly after it ends? Also what is the best move to follow up with after successfully completing this tech? (I'm guessing up smash as that almost guarantees a lot of shield pressure, and up smashes normally lead into Lk's...)

2. I can Teledash easily, through platforms and I know how to aim the teleport easily. What I'm messing up with is my timing. What normally happens is (well at least this is what it looks like) I Wavedash cancel the teleport? It's like I don't even teleport, I just Wavedash out of it right before I actually teleport. This screws me up because if I try to teledash across the stage I end up moving literally next to where I was before and attacking nothing. On top of that, if I do manage to teleport all the way across the stage I mess up my timing again and I don't Teledash at all. Do I just need to practice my timing? Also what are the best options out of Teledash? I almost only strictly use dash grabs or dash attack, is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!
1. AFAIK you need to land Naryu's during the active hitbox, so while it can deal damage. The followup totally depends on what your opponent is doing after you perform the Naryu's. You're right, usmash is great but only situationally. If the Naryu hits and you are in usmash range, then usmash. If they shielded the Naryu and you don't think that an usmash will break their shield, then don't usmash. Other good followups? If I overshoot it and put myself in range to BE attacked, I often will just roll away. I've found Naryu -> grab is good too. I also have messed around with Naryu -> Up B -> Teledash in place -> usmash or grab which is only does slightly more damage than just the grab or usmash but it looks way cooler lol.

2. Yes, you need to practice your timing. It is kind of weird at first, but it will eventually come naturally. Get a good feel for the full length of the teleport, and try teledashing our of it at as many intervals as possible. The best options out of teledash depends entirely on the situation, but I really like grab, usmash, and dash attack. I've seen Zhime jab which seems to have utility as well.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace

Thanks in advance!
1. DwightDL is incorrect. You need to land AFTER the hitboxes to land cancel Nayru's. Short hopping and then using it at the peak of the jump is about the right timing to get the most out of the technique. Up-smash is usually a bad option, because the last hit of Nayru's sends them away from you...jab and f-tilt are the favorite follow ups among most Zelda mains, but you could do all sorts of things. I like dash attacks (sweetspot if I want them to go up, not sweetspot if I want to push them away), and dash grabs personally.

2. You just need to work on the timing. If you do it in place, then you are doing it too soon (though doing it in place is certainly a good mindgame, or if you just want the ribbon hitbox). If you don't do it at all, you are doing it too late. Just keep practicing!

**If you own a copy of Melee, then put a nametag on, and teleport with Zelda. You will see that after she disappears, the tag will move until she reappears. This is exactly what is happening in P:M, even though the tag itself doesn't move. During all that time that the tag is moving (and Zelda is invisible), you can wavedash.

Scrub question if anyone would be so inclined to help. What is the actual process for land canceling Naruy's Love?
1. Use Nayru's in the air
2. Land during the animation, but AFTER the hitboxes are gone.
3. Interrupt the rest of the animation by doing LITERALLY anything. Jumps can be canceled with up-smash and grabs. Dash attacks can be canceled with up-smash. OH YEAH?!??! Well Nayru's can be canceled with ANYTHING!!!! Even just running!

Top Bottom